interracial havens - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 02-27-2009, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherTryingToHelp View Post
With regard to the spelling of Filipino, I'd always assumed it was Ph not F, but that's probably because it's the Phillipines, not the Fillipines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
From what I understand there is a cultural movement to spell it that way because there is no "F" in Tagalog (thus the name of the people is reflective of colonialism). At least this is what my students told me last year (also in the Bay Area btw).

Carry on...
yes, but in Tagalog, the F sound and the P sound are very similar linguistically. It appears and can be confusing when listening to people that speak Tagalog as a first language speaking English. For example, my dp often says "fencil" for pencil... just as in with Japanese speakers the R sound is sometimes switched with the L sound.. I don't think I am explaining this very well but the actual "sound" in Tagalog is sort of BETWEEN an English P and F, so in English the speaker will sometimes go back and forth between the two English letters.. so I guess if someone were to reject the "colonialist" spelling, the better choice would be something like Pilipino, wouldn't it?

When dp told me he was going to build the kids a port in the backyard, I nearly fell down in a giggling fit.. it wasn't so much the word switch but the seriousness he used when he described what his port was going to look like.. and no, we do not live with a waterway in our backyard.

BTW: it isn't "Phillipines".. it's Philippines.
#32 of 33 Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 AM

We are a multiracial family living in NW FL. It is not very diverse here. I am noticing a few more multi-racial, AA and Latin kids, but our multi-racial kids do stand out as being just a few of the local kids who aren't blonde-haired and blue eyed. We haven't run into any problems, except some tense feelings after the elections in Nov.

DH has had some problems recently with racist remarks from people within his career field here. He's a singer-songwriter and has run into some jams.

Lisa (39), DH (51), SDS (29), DD (8/29/01), DD (8/22/03), DS (8/3/06), an angel named Xan angel1.gif, who went home on 12/18/10 and now a new bundle of joy due 05/24/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#33 of 33 Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When dp told me he was going to build the kids a port in the backyard, I nearly fell down in a giggling fit.. it wasn't so much the word switch but the seriousness he used when he described what his port was going to look like.. and no, we do not live with a waterway in our backyard.
Okay. I had to giggle at this. In German there's less problems with enunciation than with word choice. The vocabulary is so similar but... not quite. A few weeks ago my DH told me that they had an enunciation (announcement) about the new planning (schedule) that they'd been working on since (for) 6 months now. Soooo close!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page