races and blood types question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if this sounds silly.

Can all types of races of people have all the different blood types and be positive or negative rhesus? Or do some races not have certain ones?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM

I remember my dad saying that O blood type is very common among East Asians. However, I think there still are other blood types. However, I always thought that O was common among most ppl, regardless of their race...
#3 of 6 Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Race is really a cultural construct. Genetically the differences between the different "races" are so minuscule as to be meaningless. So to answer your question, that would mean that all races can have all the different blood types as well as + and - rhesus.
#4 of 6 Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylizah View Post
Race is really a cultural construct. Genetically the differences between the different "races" are so minuscule as to be meaningless. So to answer your question, that would mean that all races can have all the different blood types as well as + and - rhesus.
: It has been proven that there is much more biodiversity within a group than between groups. I'm African American. My mother who is of Native American, African, European, and Indian descent is A positive. My father who is Nigerian is B positive. I'm AB positive. My husband is white. His mother is Hungarian and Polish and is A negative. His father is Polish and Croatian and B positive. DH is AB positive. Our son is also AB positive. So "race" or region of ethnic origin has nothing to do with blood type. We're all human beings otherwise we wouldn't be able to reproduce with each other.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#5 of 6 Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 PM

There are differences and tendencies among different people from different parts of the world. I learned about it in my Biology class.

About halfway down this page, read "Blood Groups Differ Around the World"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshel...tigen&part=ch2

The distribution of the four ABO blood types, A, B, AB, and O, varies in populations throughout the world, therefore certain populations of people have a greater % of a certain blood type. . . however,

Quote:
These patterns of ABO and Diego blood type distributions are not similar to those for skin color or other so-called "racial" traits. The implication is that the specific causes responsible for the distribution of human blood types have been different than those for other traits that have been commonly employed to categorize people into "races."

Also, this website has some good maps at the bottom.
http://anthro.palomar.edu/vary/vary_3.htm

Here's a fun tool if you know either (a) one parent and the child's blood type or (b) both parents' blood types.
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/human...pes/Intro.html

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 6 Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM

There are tendencies but in a bizarre coincidence, my MIL and I have the same blood type, though we were born literally halfway around the globe (12 hours difference). There is so much mixing that anyway, you have to check. Most all races, like Marylizah said, have all blood types, though some are more common than others.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page