Questions on traveling to Europe –Visa related - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I've two questions regarding traveling to Europe-Schengen States.

#1. I'm not a US Citizen, but have Green Card and I was looking through Austrian consulate website on required documents on getting the visa. They ask about health insurance, I do have one but not sure if they provided coverage internationally.

How can I get a Travel Health insurance? Based on my limited research I found few websites on buying travel health insurance..did anyone have any experience with that or any recommended company that I can take a look at?

#2. This question is for US Citizens who have traveled to Schengen States- since you don't require a visa, I am wondering what kind of documents immigration officers ask from you at the airport, for ex, financial docs or hotel reservation etc. My husband is a US Citizen and I have no idea what could immigration officer ask from him as far as docs are concerned.

We are planning a trip to Austria in fall, and I am trying to gather all the info prior.

Any help with info is greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#2 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM

I can't help you with the travel insurance but I think if you call your regular insurance company they might be able to recommend one or offer you one.

You would need to have an address for the place you are staying but other than that, I can't think of anything. But, really, US citizens usually just get waved through or asked a few stupid questions like "Are you here for business or pleasure?".
#3 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post
Hello,

I've two questions regarding traveling to Europe-Schengen States.

#1. I'm not a US Citizen, but have Green Card and I was looking through Austrian consulate website on required documents on getting the visa. They ask about health insurance, I do have one but not sure if they provided coverage internationally.

How can I get a Travel Health insurance? Based on my limited research I found few websites on buying travel health insurance..did anyone have any experience with that or any recommended company that I can take a look at?

#2. This question is for US Citizens who have traveled to Schengen States- since you don't require a visa, I am wondering what kind of documents immigration officers ask from you at the airport, for ex, financial docs or hotel reservation etc. My husband is a US Citizen and I have no idea what could immigration officer ask from him as far as docs are concerned.

We are planning a trip to Austria in fall, and I am trying to gather all the info prior.

As a US citizen who travelled to Europe often from 2000-2006, all I ever had them do was glance at my passport and stamp it. I've mainly flown into Frankfort, although I did fly into Vienna once and don't remember anything different.

Oh, yeah . . . at some point they started scanning passports. I don't think they had that tech in 2000 but I believe they had it in 2006. I'm sure if something weird comes up, you'll get more questions, but apparently my history is pretty clean :P
#4 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM

As a US citizen, all I've been asked about is my return date to the US. Our passports act as our visas. I think in a country like Germany, we can stay for about three months???, or that's what I remember. The one time I had trouble a German immigration officer missed stamping my passport as exiting and the next trip I made I had problems with Brussels immigration because my passport showed I hadn't left the EU. But I also think this was before scanners.

The return home with my non-resident DH is always more stressful than the getting there. We haven't traveled since he became a Permanent Resident.

The time I visited Austria, it was by bus, so I'm not sure how the airports handle things. It was gorgeous, though, and I would love to visit again.
#5 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Hello,

most insurance companies will sell you a travel health policy. Just let them know what it is for, and that it is for a limited time, and the amount of coverage you need (I think it was 20,000 Euros?). (I don't live in the US, and about 3 different local companies offered travel health, it should not be teribly expensive).

nothing more to say I guess :
#6 of 10 Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 PM

I have travelled often between the US and Europe, and getting into the US is much more complicated than a Schengan country. For ALL EU countries, US citizens are allowed to stay for 3 months, as a tourist (not working).
NON-US citizens (Permanent Residents) it really depends on the country, but most have to have a tourist visa. The Austrian consulate website should have all information on what documents you need to have with you at the airport to prove you have a place to stay (hotel confirmation letter), as well as your return ticket. If you are the spouse of an American citizen and a US Permanent Resident (which would probably be indicated in your passport somewhere) I don't forsee any customs or immigration officer giving you a hard time. But is your country not on the very long list of countries not needing a visa on the Austrian Embassy website? Even Venezuela and a few other South American countries don't need an entry visa.

On the other hand, EU citizens now wanting to enter the US have to get a VISA, unless they have a passport from 2007 which is the electronic one with the digitally scanned picture. They especially enforce this when entering via land (we're in Canada, 50 minutes from the US border, and had such problems when entering with dh's German passport that we haven't been back, much to my chagrin).

As for health insurance, you can either take travel health insurance through a place like Blue Cross or AAA, or ask your health insurance provider if you could take out a coverage for the time you will be in Europe.

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#7 of 10 Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the information, these are very helpful!

My problem is just getting the travel health insurance, which is a requirement doc to get the Visa. Once I've visa I'm sure everything should be fine at the airport for me ( I've previously been to Schengen states, Germany/France but that was long time ago and my father did everything) And as far my hubby, I wasn't sure what a US Citizen usually goes through in immigration there! Looks like that is an easy one!

Thanks!

#8 of 10 Old 03-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My problem is just getting the travel health insurance, which is a requirement doc to get the Visa.
That's no biggie at all. Just google "travel health insurance".

Before my husband got his citizenship, we had to get Schengen visitor visas. We never bought any insurance because we had BCBS insurance who had several doctors/hospitals in Spain and coverage was international. Have you checked your insurance policy?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#9 of 10 Old 03-06-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you reply! I was looking into Italian cosulate in New York website and they have few links for the place where people can buy travel health insurance!

Thanks all!

#10 of 10 Old 03-12-2009, 04:00 PM

I've been traveling to Europe, from America, since age 5. First, I did it on a green card and now I do it on a US passport.

I don't recall anyone asking me for anything, except a passport along with my green card. And then, later, just my US passport. Sometimes they asked me if I was traveling for business or pleasure, but that's about the extent of it.

I never did the international health insurance - I've never heard of it as a requirement.

First special delivery - April 2010 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page