R&B Kids' Music / Spanish Language Kids' Music / Russian etc. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So can we chat about something happier on this forum for this coming weekend?

Namely, I just heard on the kids' music station my mom gets with her cable a reggae kids' song about a mouse in a house and my daughter loved it. She loves jazz and classical music but not rock so much (funny because I love rock!).

What are your favorite non-rock, non-pop kids' artists / albums / collections?

Other than the Sesame Street Disco album (vinyl from my own childhood), They Might Be Giants, and Peter, Paul, and Mommy and one educational tape, we don't have anything for my daughter. But she can totally tell when it's kids music.

What are your suggestions from your cultures? She does like Middle Eastern beats as well as jazz and the blues.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#2 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM
EVC

If I say Ulitsa Sezam, does that count as "other than Sesame Street"?

She does loves Ulitsa Sezam songs, though. Aside from that, it's pretty random. She loves the "v lesu rodilas yolichka" song, for example, and some of the Cheburashka songs (especially Goluboi vagon). And then she went through this whole Shanson phase for a while. THAT she gets from dh

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

LMAO@ Shanson.

And Ulitsa Sezam... okay... it counts. Do you havethe URL? ulitsasezam.ru doesn't work. Mine has totally forgotten Russian now that DH is- well, anyway, I still want her at least to continue her exposure to the sounds constantly. But she loves singing along so we'll see how she does. I should buy the tapes.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#4 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
EVC

I'm not sure if there's an actual Ulitsa sezam site. There are several videos from it posted on youtube, including the theme song which is one of dd's favorites. We have it on DVD--we didn't purchase it in the US, but I'm pretty sure you can order it somewhere There are several US based Russian gift type mail order businesses that carry children's toys and disks. I posted the link to one I like on the Russian Families Thread (at least I think I did). That site was actually started for American families who have adopted children from Russian speaking countries, so it is all kids stuff. I know they have cartoon dvds and music cds (as well as books and toys). See if you can dig up that link--if not I wil try to locate it. We bought dd a talking Cheburashka doll for Christmas from them and it was an easy, pleasant transaction.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#5 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM

I love the Cada Nino album from Tish Hinojosa. Good stuff. The lyrics are in Spanish and English.
#6 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Earthgirl. Love the quote from your daughter. Mine also worries about the state of the fox in Jemima Puddleduck. "The fox is scared of the dog! Go away, doggy!"

EVC- I remember the thread. I will have to find it...

#7 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM

The Mother Goose Rocks CDs are great! We have Volume 2 and love it! The nursery rhymes are recorded (and changed slightly) to contemporary songs. For example, The Three Little Pigs is a nursery rhyme version of La Vida Loca. (Real contemporary, I know.) Ring Around the Rosie = Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle.

We also love Putumayo CDs. Their reggae CD is one of our favorites.

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#8 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliepop View Post
The Mother Goose Rocks CDs are great! We have Volume 2 and love it! The nursery rhymes are recorded (and changed slightly) to contemporary songs. For example, The Three Little Pigs is a nursery rhyme version of La Vida Loca. (Real contemporary, I know.) Ring Around the Rosie = Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle.

We also love Putumayo CDs. Their reggae CD is one of our favorites.
Ooh, those sound fun. DD is all about the nursery rhymes now.
#9 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Thanks, Earthgirl. Love the quote from your daughter. Mine also worries about the state of the fox in Jemima Puddleduck. "The fox is scared of the dog! Go away, doggy!"

EVC- I remember the thread. I will have to find it...
That's funny. DD also once said the three bears were naughty to wake up Goldilocks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page