Learning Hindi or Gujarati? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some resources for my kids and I, for learning Hindi or Gujarati. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#2 of 7 Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 AM

Go to Indian cultural events and make friends with some people. I'm sure they can point out some places for learning the languages.

Were I you, I would take courses at the local university or community college in Hindi or Gujarati. I would encourage my children to make lots of Desi friends and take them to cultural events and celebrations. I'd also watch lots of Indian films and listen to Indian music and eat tons of delicious Indian food.

I guess I would just submerge myself and my kids in the language in all ways possible. Hmm. That's probably not the easiest thing to do if you're not in India or SF Bay Area (where I am -- tons of Indians here).
#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey! I'm gujarati too! We live in a not-so desi area, but our local temple has gujarati classes. You can also probably hire someone (put an ad up in your local indian grocery) to teach a few hours a week.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 7 Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 PM

My local library has several language courses available on tape or cd. If your's doesn't have hindi/gujurati specifically, you can always ask if they can do an interlibrary loan.

I also lurk here. Their UA is pretty strict about what are considered allowable posts, so I just lurk since my knowledge of this is still in its infancy.
#5 of 7 Old 03-13-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. We do attend the Gujarati Samaj every Sunday. It's a small Samaj, about 200 people attend on Sundays.
Because it is small, there is no language class. They do have some
books called Akshar Gujarati Learner and I have book II. They are
out of book I which we really need in order to start the alphabet.
We also need something like a tablet that my kids can copy the letters
down each day. We are picking up some Gujarati/Hindi at the temple
and we are already Hindi movie watchers (the kids LOVE the Bollywood movies in Hindi). We eat Indian food regularly, from prasad at the temple
which is in the form of Gujarati food (and all the names we learn for them)
to our own cooking at home which is mostly South Indian cooking (I learned to cook there).

I have one person at the temple that will often explain things to me when
I need her to do so, and I volunteer in the kitchen with the dish washing crew after prasad, and eveyone speaks Gujarati then so I listen and listen,
picking up words. I've got all of these things from our regular interaction
at Samaj.

We need tablet papers to copy the aphabet (boy it's long!) and Book I of Akshar Gujarati Learner and maybe some online resources???? Any ideas?
Thanks!

#6 of 7 Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Texmati, I may put up a sign for tutoring, in the local Gujarati Indian Groceries. Thanks for suggusting that. I'm not Gujarati, but we attend the
BAPS samaj, and I really want my kids to be able to speak to all of their friends (and I want to speak to my friends) in their language. What a gift
that would be. Also, I can see that Hindi is just a skip, hop and a jump from Gujarati, as is Bengali. If we can speak Hindi, we can speak to just about anyone in India or from India (as we also speak English).

#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are starting from scratch-- I highly recommend trying for hindi instead of gujarati. Most gujarati's can understand/speak hindi, and hindi will get you much farther along with the rest of the SA community.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page