Help me out....DD's hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-11-2009, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So....DD is 2 and I'd *love* to do some braids or something for her. Something that can stay in awhile.

She is very much NOT into me combing her tangled mess every day. (which is what it is every morning after she's slept on it.)

She looks like some poor neglected baby if I don't do *something* with it. (I usually do, under plenty of protest, Tootsie Pops help

I can braid MY hair. I can't braid HER hair.

I have thought of calling a friend, but I don't know that DD will sit for her and let her do it....(and she works a lot so I don't even really know, she probably would do it though)

Is 2 too young to expect her to sit and get her hair braided? Has anyone done this with their toddlers??

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 22 Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For combing her hair to first stop it from getting tangled everynight you should either plait it ( a braid that is not connected to the scalp) or twist it up so it doesn't get matted. Also when you comb her hair make sure you wet it first because that will help loosen it up a bit. And when you comb make sure you do it from the ends up. I have a spray bottle with some water, a little conditioner, grapseed oil and peppermint oil, I shake it up everymorning and spray it in my hair. That will help her get some moisture and oil into her hair (black hair doesn't get oily as quick). The plaits everynight will help her decrease the tangling.

Do you know how to plait?

I doubt that a toddler will sit for very long for you to do her hair. My mom and many of my friends with babes do their hair while they are sleep. My mom would braid it while I was taking a nap or in bed. I have tried and tried to braid my godson's hair but he just cries nonstop and he is 4 so I do it when he is in a deep sleep.

Here are some links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwgbBbQctk this is so you can see how braid hair.

This is from another angle. http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...nrow-braid.htm

You have to practice and practice. If you don't want to practice on your daughter I suggest you get a doll to do it. Maybe ask your friend to teach you as that is the best way to learn. HTH goodluck
#3 of 22 Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM

forgot to add that you should have her sleep on a satin or silk pillow as that will help stp tangles. You could have her sleep with a satin cap but I doubt it will stay on.
#4 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Moisture, moisture and more moisture is the key to highly textured hair. What sorts of products are you using on your DD's hair? Also, as futurmama mentioned, never, ever, EVER comb or brush DD's hair when wet. That is snap, crackle and pop land and it is no fun (for either of you!).

If your DD's hair is anything like mine, I could suggest some products for you. Even if her hair is not as "textured" as mine, the products work. My DD's hair is much finer and less coarse than mine (with a much looser curl), and I am following the same routine.

Pic of my hair: http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/...c/img2403.html

Blended Beauty - http://www.blendedbeauty.com/
Curls has a line for kids - http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-prod...-for-kids.html
Kinky-Curly (natural ingredients) - http://www.kinky-curly.com/

I would personally leave her hair out in a curly little 'fro. I think it looks adorable on little girls.
#5 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 PM

IDK where you live, but my brother swears that when he goes to the African hair braiding salon near his house (he goes a lot; he wears his hair braided most of the time) it's always full of little kids, both African immigrants as well as Americans.

He used to go to an African American braiding salon, but he says the African place is less expensive and faster, so maybe that's why people take their kids there?

Maybe check your yellow pages?

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#6 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 PM

I would NOT take my two year old to an African braiding shop. They typically braid EXTREMELY tight, not good for LOs growing tresses (particularly her hairline).

I've been once myself (I had heard about the tight braiding but figured if I said something, it wouldn't be so bad)...I will never go back. I can only imagine what that feels like to a child.
#7 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 02:37 PM

We use Curly Qs products from www.curls.biz I get good promo codes for them too at www.retailmenot.com (Do a search for curls.biz).
Two is def old enough to do some sort of braids IMO and experience.

Southern belle- your hair is beautiful!!

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#8 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurmama8 View Post

For combing her hair to first stop it from getting tangled everynight you should either plait it ( a braid that is not connected to the scalp) or twist it up so it doesn't get matted. Also when you comb her hair make sure you wet it first because that will help loosen it up a bit. And when you comb make sure you do it from the ends up. I have a spray bottle with some water, a little conditioner, grapseed oil and peppermint oil, I shake it up everymorning and spray it in my hair. That will help her get some moisture and oil into her hair (black hair doesn't get oily as quick). The plaits everynight will help her decrease the tangling.

Do you know how to plait?

I doubt that a toddler will sit for very long for you to do her hair. My mom and many of my friends with babes do their hair while they are sleep. My mom would braid it while I was taking a nap or in bed. I have tried and tried to braid my godson's hair but he just cries nonstop and he is 4 so I do it when he is in a deep sleep.

Here are some links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdwgbBbQctk this is so you can see how braid hair.

This is from another angle. http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...nrow-braid.htm

You have to practice and practice. If you don't want to practice on your daughter I suggest you get a doll to do it. Maybe ask your friend to teach you as that is the best way to learn. HTH goodluck
I agree with these suggestions. I do simple braids at night (only takes 5-10 mins) and then give my dd who is 3.5 pony puffs in the morning. She used to get horrible tangles until I started braiding at night.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#9 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I am going to look at videos later tonight (or after tomorrow night's meeting is over, I run a non LLL bf support group---not that I have anything against LLL just that we have nobody here who's completed their requirements and I believe we need SOMETHING.)

I guess what I do would actually be plaiting then, lol I didn't even realize there was a difference!
----
If I were going to have somebody else do it other than me, I'd pick somebody who has kids. I told my friend when she was born that I was bringing her over when I got to this point LOL, I have yet to call her and do that.

What I have been using is a tube of some sort of Biolage. A friend (not AA) uses it and used it on her once, seemed to work so I got a tube, I've had it for oh, a year. Lasts a long time.

I have a spray bottle I use when I want to comb it too--I figured out by the time she was around a year we weren't going to get anywhere without that! I slowly figured out too that i was going to have to work from end in...I've gotten *somewhere*

What I am trying to get rid of is that matted morning head and all the fuss associated....I think she'd *love* a special girly satiny pillow too.

I'd call her loose curls but definently a bunch of curl...which is a whole new world to me.

I would post a pic but my computer lost my pictures. They are there I just have no idea how to find them and put them on photobucket, which is how i've always put pics in my sig line and stuff.

I talked to a friend this morning (again not AA but a nurse) who warned me against leaving her braids in too long if I got it done.......she's seen some bad things happen apparently. Seems obvious to me, I'm looking for something that keeps us from going through a protest-filled struggle **daily** (Some days are much better than others. I think if I could get her to let me braid it after bath at night then we could be in a better place to leave it free in the morning. )

So if I were to get her to sit and get it plaited, how long can I leave it that way?

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#10 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM

If you plait it every night in maybe 6-8 big ones you can take it out every morning and let her go with a big fro or something.

If you want to put little plaits all over (like this http://images25.fotki.com/v949/photo...jpg?1185248053 it can maybe last every 3-4 days maybe longer but it depends on how quickly her hair messes up. Just make sure you keep combing it wet because that will help.

I just had a frohawk with braids on the side and they lasted 2 weeks, so it just depends on how quickly her hair gets messed up. HTH
#11 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Southern Belle, that's funny because my brother had the opposite experience- he said that at the African hair braiding place, they didn't braid as tight. He is very tender headed. He'd rather go more often and get a little looser braid, especially if it's somewhat cheaper per session.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I know very little about African cultures, unfortunately, so I can't even hazard a guess.

I have to say that braiding hair before bed is really good. If your hair is long or thick, and especially if it is wavy/curly/kinky, it really helps with tangles in the morning- makes everything go that much faster. I know in the case of my high maintence brother, he doesn't like to comb or brush his hair at all unless he's going to get his head wet. (Fear of frizz.) If he's not wearing his hair in cornrows, he'll braid it before bed (actually, he'll try to get someone else to do it for him ) and just finger comb it in the morning.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#12 of 22 Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post

I talked to a friend this morning (again not AA but a nurse) who warned me against leaving her braids in too long if I got it done.......she's seen some bad things happen apparently.

So if I were to get her to sit and get it plaited, how long can I leave it that way?
If you got her hair into plaits, I'd just leave them in until they started looking raggedy. I can't imagine plaits being bad to leave in, since they don't really involve the scalp.

What could your nurse friend have seen bad from leaving braids in too long, I wonder? I've had my hair in cornrows a few times, and while there is more loose hair coming out after I take them out and brush, that's to be expected as the hair we shed daily stays in the braid. My brother pretty much lives in cornrows, and he's never had any scalp problems or anything. And my brother goes longer between washing (or even wetting) his hair than I would be comfortable with (we have very different hair textures), so I can't imagine it being a hygiene thing.

???

#13 of 22 Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Southern Belle, that's funny because my brother had the opposite experience- he said that at the African hair braiding place, they didn't braid as tight. He is very tender headed. He'd rather go more often and get a little looser braid, especially if it's somewhat cheaper per session.

Maybe it's a regional thing? I know very little about African cultures, unfortunately, so I can't even hazard a guess.

Maybe it is regional but back when I lived in Chicago I had my hair braided in an African salon and OMG, the pain was so bad I went back the next after having spent 4 hours the previous day and had them taken out. It was not an experience I ever want to repeat again...

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#14 of 22 Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM

A 2 year old may get traumatized with lots of hair pulling, twisting and etc. Keep the hair care gentle and simple. If you can find a detangling shampoo and oil the hair and keep it in simple styles, that would be a better experience for her. I admire the fancy hairstyles that can be done, but with the beauty comes the pain. Try to avoid it. Natural is better.
#15 of 22 Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

actually I tend to remember when talking to that particular friend that she's *always* got some story about something....in all reality, I'm not too worried. I *think* (haha) I've got enough common sense to know when I need to take something out and wash her hair. (come on, I mean, I had enough sense to pick a decent CPM and homebirth....but wait, this friend hasn't heard that full story either )

back to the topic of HAIR that is what I'm trying to decide, what's less traumatizing, coming up with something that can stay in so we only have to go through it once every so often?

The poor kid already hates having me wet it and comb through it....I TRIED to get her to let me braid the other night, that did not get far.

Spam me with hair-product recommendations, maybe there is something that will work better for us.

I have stayed out of DH's stuff since the time I tried it on DS when he pretty much had a 'fro going and it was way too heavy. (DH was born and raised in Africa, has the very tight curly African hair. Both kids have curls but they're much looser than his...and yet totally different from MY hair baby ds is starting to curl now. )

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way her hair looks naturally. I love it---except for the matted bed-head on the back of her head every morning
that and she WANTS as she puts it "piggytails" (well she does till I have to comb her hair before I will do them )

it does not help either that i lost our good comb and am using the world's cheapest-made flimsy junky thing right now. I need to buy another decent comb.

#16 of 22 Old 03-26-2009, 02:24 AM

Girl do it when she is sleep or that is battle you will lose

I am guessing your DH had hair grease?? Get some Jojoba or grapeseed oil and put it on her scalp and ends and just brush through.

She won't let you do four big braids?? That shouldn't take up much time. Like I said it will make it easier if you do when she is in a deep sleep.

Maybe give her a style like this she can go days without you doing anything but moisturizing. Might make life a little more simple.
#17 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM

nak... heres a sort of solution- might help out in the long run, anyway. read the book Curly Girl by lorraine massey. its a sort of handbook for all types of curls- from the slightest wave to the kinkiest kink. her bottom line is that curly hair is much more s ensitive than straight and should never be exposed to the harsh detergents found in shampoo. either use a fancy and expensive "no-poo" or wash the scalp with conditioner just like you would with shampoo. i have been doing this for over a year and my hair is remarkably healthier, less dry/frizzy and less prone to breakage. it dosnt look greasy or dirty and there's no strange odor or anything else you might think. this might make your hair problems easier in the long run because the hair will be less dry, and i think less likely to tangle, IME. granted, i am caucasian with curly/course hair, but the book recommends the process for ALL curly hair types.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#18 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 08:28 PM

heres the amazon link for that book (our public library had it. fwiw)
http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Lor...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#19 of 22 Old 03-28-2009, 10:44 PM

My dd1 has her father's Indian hair. I know we are dealing with different types of hair here, but one thing I had to get past was not washing it every day. I am used to washing mine every day, but if I wash hers it gets very very dry like straw and then the tangles come. My SIL said to only shampoo it once a week when it was looking really visibly dirty. Otherwise just rinse it every time she takes a shower with water and scrub the scalp gently, and then apply conditioner if needed. My dd does not like pony tails or braids and I'm about to cut it again just because I'm fed up with putting her in pain just to keep her hair in order.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#20 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not shampooing daily now....but I have been using a kid shampoo. I am going to stop.

Does anyone know if something like "california baby" qualifies as something better? (It's free of all sorts of chemicals and allergens, an all-purpose baby "soap.")

I am going to try out the grapeseed oil soon.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do something like all those braids....I'm not kidding though when I say I can't braid *her* hair and make it look decent. I'll keep trying.

I would *love* to find something that only requires me to mess with it a couple times a week as that would probably be better on BOTH of us.

#21 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 01:16 AM

You can just not use shampoo anymore at all. I don't use any and my hair still gets clean. Just put some conditioner in and treat it as you would shampoo.

If you want some natural type shampoo, I suggest ABBA and it is for all hair types and you can get it from any tj maxx or online.

It really does take practice. I learned when I was about 5 or 6 on a baby doll. I concentrated really hard and eventually it got easier. It is something that once you learn it, you will never forget it and you can teach your kids!!

Do you know how to do a single plait??
#22 of 22 Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I do that all the time on myself.

I think if I could get her to sit still and let me work, I could produce decent results in her hair.

The challenge is, she's 2, and she wants me to do her hair......until I start actually combing her hair

maybe what I need to start doing is combing it until it at least doesn't look all matted in the back and then leave it----UNLESS of course, she pitches the usual "Piggytails!" fit to get me to put in Cookie Monster and all his friends....at which point I can tell her I will put them in, IF, and only IF she sits still.

hmmm it sounds so simple i'm amazed I have not thought of it before. Though I'm usually pretty 'set' if I've decided I want to do "cute" that day....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page