Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this just about pork, or are you raising your daughter with Jewish traditions? Do you celebrate Shabbat with her, for instance?

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

yes,we do, but we also celebrate christian holidays.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 PM

At 2.5 ... what suffering? It sounds more like he's using her as a way to say that he resents something, kwim?

At any rate, I plan to treat the pork issue the same like many parents do vegetarianism -- when our children are young, eating only what we directly provide, etc, no pork. Obviously. When our children are older, eating at friends houses, making choices about school lunches, hitting the mall, etc, I'll make sure they know our preferences and why our preferences are what they are, but otherwise I'll make it clear that their choices are their own and they're not going to be in huge trouble if someone tells me they were spotted eating pepperoni pizza.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 PM

I agree with the pp - she's not suffering, I'm sure. At the same time, I don't see why she would regret eating pork if she decides to convert to Judaism. I converted, and I remember having pork as a kid (though I've been vegetarian for years) but I don't have any regrets about it.

Since you are following both traditions, it would seem strange to me to make her adhere to this rule of Judaism. Is she supposed to adhere to BOTH Christian and Jewish "rules"? That seems like a lot to ask of one person. I do not come from an interfaith family so I hope this isn't insensitive, but it seems like she would have to be more of an observer of both religions, since they can't really coexist in one person - that whole trinity thing, for instance Because of that, I don't think I would make her follow Jewish dietary laws.

As for the pp, I agree. I'm vegetarian, DH is not. DS's favorite food is chicken. I cook meat, so I offer it to him, but if I didn't cook meat then he wouldn't be getting any from me, though I wouldn't mind if he got it elsewhere. I also don't think it would be easier for her to say later on that she wants to eat meat. My reasons for becoming vegetarian no longer exist, but this is just who I am. I don't eat meat. I don't think I ever could, simply because I don't eat meat. Does that make sense?

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

it does, thank you for your opinion
we now decided that i will still cook pork for him (even though really,he cooks more often than i do, he's better at it i have to admit) & other meat for dd, so that she does not feel like she misses out when dh is having meat for dinner. I hope it works out alright.
We celebrate christian holidays like christmas, but she goes to the kosher kids club & is not otherwise involved in christianity, because dh simply does not believe in G-d.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:22 PM

As a veg*n I won't feed DS anything that I wouldn't eat. If it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for him. Why would I make him eat something I find revolting.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 03-31-2009, 11:56 PM

If your DH is a Christian, he needs to read the verse in the Bible that instructs Christians not to eat meat if it offends or tempts another person. I personally hate most pork but I do not give my daughter pork products out of respect for my husband, and also avoid it when pregnant. I am not super-super careful, but we don't eat hot dogs or sausage unless they are 100% beef. I think your husband is being inconsiderate but if pork is a huge part of his diet (not ideal in any case!) I can see how it might be frustrating for him. Good luck!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 04-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
EdnaMarie, do you have a more precise reference to that verse in the Bible ?
it's such a big book to search & I'm just interested by sheer curiosity ....
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
As a veg*n I won't feed DS anything that I wouldn't eat. If it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for him. Why would I make him eat something I find revolting.
ITA. I think your husband could show some flexibility on this one. My DD is fine without any meat. Yours would still be able to eat some meat - I think he should respect your beliefs.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 AM

My parents had kind of the same attitute about what I was "doing to myself" when I became Muslim and gave up pork products. You know, you can't have a ham sandwich or perpperoni pizza or sausage in the Thanksgiving turkey stuffing anymore and that is somehow-- un-American I guess. Don't all kids love to eat pepperoni, you know?

So my advice is what works for me-- substitutes. Smoked turkey tastes pretty much the same as ham (for deli meat). There must be Kosher pepperoni (made from beef) out there, I know, since there is halal beef pepperoni for Muslims. Watch out for the turkey sausage in the casings in the supermarket, though, they have pork casings. :

As much as possible show that your beliefs do not "limit" you or your children from enjoying life. You just change the recipe a little bit and move on.

But I agree that this is probably just a manifestation of a deeper issue. Having different religions in the family has got to be a very hard road.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post
EdnaMarie, do you have a more precise reference to that verse in the Bible ?
it's such a big book to search & I'm just interested by sheer curiosity ....
Romans 14, specifically verses 13-15, but the whole chapter discusses it.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 04-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thank you Amy !

User Tag List