Two passports? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Gal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why everybody skips military service?, in Israel is mandatory for women as well but for DD is optional becuase she has other citizenships so the State considers her a "foreign citizen" in that aspect.

But in most countries, they service is just for 6-9 months. And Cyprus is not the country with the longest military service, in Israel its 3 years for men and 2 for women.

Mum to Gila(6)
#62 of 66 Old 05-21-2010, 11:55 PM

I guess people are afraid of their children being pulled into a war.

This thread reminds me I need to get onto getting DD's birth on the Irish foreign birth register. I really want her to have easy access to Europe the way her Dad and I did (we both have UK nationality through our parents).
#63 of 66 Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM

tbh, I am assuming that nothing has changed in the US with regards to the draft, but I could be wrong about that. I left in 1997, so things might be different now.

Gal, in my opinion, I don't think that anyone should be forced into military service in any country for any period of time. So it's not just a US thing for me. There are many ways to 'serve' your country, but regardless it should never be a forced service.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#64 of 66 Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Remember that making your child a citizen of another country also holds them to certain responsibilities. Quite a few countries have compulsory military service when, usually men, are between the ages of 18-20. Having a second citizenship generally does absolutely nothing to absolve your child from having to serve in the first or second country's military if that is what citizenship requires.

Just something to think about. Several people I know have decided against a citizenship for their child for this reason.
Is getting a passport the same as becomming a citizen in that country? I have a passport for my mom country but I am not a citizen, I never applied to become one. My father also had his passport and then later applied to be a citizen so now he can vote and buy land without the whole run about and extra stuff and other stuff that comes along with being a citizen but I can't because I am not one, I just can get a passport because my mom was born there.
#65 of 66 Old 06-13-2010, 04:51 PM

aussiemum, you still have to register for Selective Service, but there has been no draft in operation since the 1970s and never will be. The armed forces don't want conscripts; they want an all volunteer army.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#66 of 66 Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks Alexis, I understand that the military would prefer all volunteers, I guess it's just the idea that my DS is legally required to put his name on the list because his mother was born in the US that really bothers me. I'm (just) old enough to remember when there was a draft in the US, and grew up with many men in my life who were conscripts to Vietnam. With respect, I don't buy the 'it will never be/ would never happen' argument.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page