Two passports? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone or your kids have passports issued by two different countries? If so what are the benefits for your family?

Kate~ Mama to two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 03:52 AM

By benefits, do you mean the advantages of having two passports?

My two children and I have French and American passports. It is useful for travelling to these countries (we live in Canada) when waiting in the immigration lines at the airport, and for ID purposes. But it is also important to note, that with the exception of the US, obtaining a nationality and then having a passport can be two different things. Most countries have national official ID cards (issued for free) which are not passports but can be used in places like the EU where you can more or less travel between most countries without passport controls at the border.

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#3 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 AM

We have. The immigration lines are one thing but for me it's just establishing that they are also German, just in case for later if they want to live in Germany, go to a German University or so.
#4 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine&men View Post
We have. The immigration lines are one thing but for me it's just establishing that they are also German, just in case for later if they want to live in Germany, go to a German University or so.
yep, though in our case it's Dutch, but same difference!

I'm thinking of finally getting my Dutch citizenship, since i can keep my American nationality as well. I'm tired of lines at EU immigration and it might help me with access to EU-wide funding for projects in my field. I'd also like to vote. I may apply this Summer.

Anyway, I think it mostly helps and usually doesn't hurt, though, of course, it depends on the obligations that go along with carrying the passport (military service, taxes, etc.)
#5 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 01:50 PM

My kids do also (except Avraham Tzvi, gotta take care of that). Main reason is my parents would go nuts if I didn't get them US citizenship, and when you travel to the US you need to come / go on a US passport.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM

The travel thing, and dealing with embassies if need be -- some things require the presentation of a passport, and if you can produce one that shows you to be a citizen of that embassy's nation those things can go a lot more smoothly. I've only dealt with embassies from two countries, but both made it pretty clear that they don't very much like helping people who come with the wrong I.D.
#7 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM

My dh and both kids have dual Filipino/Dutch citizenship, ds1 is also a US citizen (was born there). Other than the travel/practical issues now, I think it allows them more opportunities later in life, should they wish to study/work/live elsewhere.
Also, like a pp said, I think it's important to validate in a way their multicultural heritage.
The reasoning for my dh to apply for Dutch citizenship (I'm Dutch) is mostly so he would have all rights to work and stay here, even if we were to divorce or something would happen to me (originally his residency status here was dependent upon me being an EU citizen).

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
#8 of 66 Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
both eldest children have two passports, which seems logic to me since dh and I were born in different countries ... now the youngest has 3 birth certificates and so far only one passport (because of the cost but she can apply anytime for the other two with the birth certificates anyway ...) which is neither my dh nationaliy nor mine ... just the country we were living in when she was born (=the USA) we didn't have a choice actually, she HAD to have all her American ID in order, first, and only then, could we proceed with the paperwork for our own respective nationalities...

advantages= a reminder of who their parents come from & opening doors for travel-studies-possibility to settle down hassle free somewhere else in the future

disadvantage= cost of passport and lengthy procedures with each country having different requirements and rules ...
#9 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Remember that making your child a citizen of another country also holds them to certain responsibilities. Quite a few countries have compulsory military service when, usually men, are between the ages of 18-20. Having a second citizenship generally does absolutely nothing to absolve your child from having to serve in the first or second country's military if that is what citizenship requires.

Just something to think about. Several people I know have decided against a citizenship for their child for this reason.
#10 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM

My son has two passports (US/Argentina), main reason is that you never know when inmigration laws may get harsh, and we want him to be able to freely explore his cultures of origin. I can't think of any disadvantage.
#11 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM

My son has 2 passports (English and American) I think its great, makes travelling so much easier as we just swap depending on what country we are in. The English one allows him to travel hassle free throughout Europe too. I wish I had 2 passports !!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#12 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM

We didn't really have a choice... Venezuelan law requires Venezuelan citizens to enter and depart Venezuela using Venezuelan passports. We are afraid to go to visit family and be unable to come back to the US with DD.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#13 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Having a second citizenship generally does absolutely nothing to absolve your child from having to serve in the first or second country's military if that is what citizenship requires.
Just wanted to point out that this is not universally true ... something to look into.
#14 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Irish and Canadian here, but they could have British too.
#15 of 66 Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM

I have 2. So for I don't see such a big deal as a US passport gets me in anywhere I travel. The advantages so far are quicker lines and I think it is just cool to have more than 1.
#16 of 66 Old 04-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Just wanted to point out that this is not universally true ... something to look into.
How is it not generally true? I've never heard of anyone getting out of this. This is has been a reason for some people to renounce the second citizenship (if the country will allow it for that reason, some like Germany, won't) or not take it up at all.

Being a citizen of two countries comes with certain responsibilities as citizens. It's not all fun and games for easy travel.
#17 of 66 Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM

I know in Norway you are still obligated to report for military service even if you aren't living in the country. For financial reasons (Norway foots the bill for holiday travel for service people that are away from home) and because they don't really need the manpower it would be highly unlikely to actually be required to serve. But you are still supposed to sign up. In addition the draft isn't just for 18 year olds, we had to look into if my husband would be required to serve when we moved into the country and he was still under the upper age limit.

SAHM, Geek, Expat American living in Oslo Norway.
DH DS1(5) DS2(2)
#18 of 66 Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
How is it not generally true? I've never heard of anyone getting out of this. This is has been a reason for some people to renounce the second citizenship (if the country will allow it for that reason, some like Germany, won't) or not take it up at all.

Being a citizen of two countries comes with certain responsibilities as citizens. It's not all fun and games for easy travel.
Ok ... I didn't comment on whether it's generally true or not; that I don't know. I said it's not universally true, as in not true of all countries. Which I said because I know in Egypt, for example, mandatory conscription is waived for dual citizens. For all I know they could be the only country on earth with such a system, but then again they might not. It's just something to look into when looking at dual citizenship, not to assume.
#19 of 66 Old 04-23-2009, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
France used to have an upper age limit & we looked for it for my husband when he wanted to get French nationality, now compulsory military service has been scraped but there's a 3 (or 5 ?) days period when you have to report and attend tests and a few classes .... I think it's even for girls now too ...

but some other countries DO still have military service for young men for up to 2 years ... I know because that's one of the reasons my nephews won't claim the passport from their father's country ...
#20 of 66 Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 AM

The kiddies have individual US passports and are also on DH's Egyptian passport (kids do not have individual passports in Egypt). The main advantage is that we don't need to get visas for the kids when we visit Egypt... nor US visas when we come home. They enter Egypt on their Dad's passport, and then enter the US on their American passports.

The military service thing isn't an issue for dual-national kids in Egypt.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#21 of 66 Old 04-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
The kiddies have individual US passports and are also on DH's Egyptian passport (kids do not have individual passports in Egypt). The main advantage is that we don't need to get visas for the kids when we visit Egypt... nor US visas when we come home. They enter Egypt on their Dad's passport, and then enter the US on their American passports.

The military service thing isn't an issue for dual-national kids.
It is for Iranians. DS won't be able to travel to Iran after he reaches the age of majority. In order to get an Iranian passport after he is 18, he will have to serve 2 years in the military.
#22 of 66 Old 05-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Please don't deny your children a passport based on military service. I and my children have French and American citizenships.

1. Things can change. In our case, the military service stopped before I had my son.

2. Even if military service is required, in the case with France, they used to get a letter on their 18th birthday. They simply said, yes, I'll do it or no, I'll renounce my French nationality. No big deal. Let your child make this decision at the time. He'll (assuming it's a guy) will have documentation that he renounced his other citizenship instead of telling passport control simply that his parents never bothered to get him his other citizenship.

3. Sometimes there are ways around it and exceptions are not unheard of. I had a coworker, also French and American and over age 18. I was curious as I knew he grew up in the States. Turns out, when he joined the American military (voluntarily, not specifically for this reason) the two countries had an agreement and his American service counted. He got to keep both citizenships.

In some cases (Israel, just to give an example) if the young person is living elsewhere at certain times of their life (established resident, not a well-timed vacation or study abroad deal!), they can get an exemption. Some countries too offer non-military alternatives for non-residents. A deferment might also be possible.

So go ahead and do it, since you never know what the future may bring and you want to keep as many doors open for your child's future as possible. You still have many years to get the information your child will need.

I want to add that in some countries, if the parents are not the nationality of the child's birth, citizenship can hinge on what kind of education they opt for him or her. Here in France, for example, your child doesn't necessarily have to be in public school but if you opt for private, the child has to be following the French education system. If you put him or her in say, a British or American school, you may be limiting their citizen options in the future. I believe Italy has similar rules.

I have to say that getting my French nationality was almost as easy as renewing my 10 year residency. I don't think this is haphazard. I think they want spouses to become citizens.

Also, don't panic about the paperwork. They asked for my father's birth certificate. Turns out there were a few errors in it and when I contacted the whatevers in Pennslyvannia to get some sort of correction, they said my father would have to do it himself. Then when I told them there was a slight glitch (my father died in 1974) the procedure involved going to court in California (where he died and where I'm actually from...), getting everythings documented, etc. I called the courthouse here in France and gave them my little dramatic story, to which they said they would accept just my mother's and their marriage certificate.

The consulate can also do a little "swearing ceremony" in lieu of your FBI police records. Some accept this, some don't but it is easier than having to prove you don't have a police record back in the U.S.

Hope that helps any of you living elsewhere if you have the opportunity to get another citizenship!
#23 of 66 Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Some countries require by law that all citizens must enter the country with the appropriate passport. For instance, American citizens who have dual citizenship must enter America using their American passport.
#24 of 66 Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 AM

DD has the Spanish and UK passport, but when she turns 18 she has to choose as Spain doesn't recognized double citizenship on adults. I'm sure she'll pick the British, more useful.
#25 of 66 Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 AM

My son has a German and a UK passport - not sure yet if he'll have to choose when he turns 18 but Germany has mandatory military service (or conscientious objector social service) for boys so once he turns 18 he'll probably just choose his UK citizenship - if that still applies. I agree with the pp who said that rules and regulations change all the time so it's best just to wait and see.
#26 of 66 Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM

My children were born abroad to an American citizen (me), with their US citizenship we had no problem relocating to the US later on. My children are EU citizens and with that passport they can travel without problems and live in other EU countries when they're older.
#27 of 66 Old 05-06-2009, 02:43 PM

My children have South African and British passports and technically they are also entitled to Zimbabwean and Namibian passports but we don't see the benefit of getting those for them.

We live in the UK and that is home for us all now but we have kept out SA passports just in case. After all having an extra passport can exactly do them any harm and who knows it might actually be beneficial one day.
#28 of 66 Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 AM

My daughter has 2 (so will future children). She automatically acquired British citizenship at birth and we got her US passport shortly afterwards. This was so we could travel without any trouble (an immigration official with half a brain would know that she should have an American passport since I'm a citizen) and because we were planning on moving to the US at some point. Future kids will get both in case we ever decide to go back to Europe, or if they want to go. It is convenient to have an EU passport.

I'm a naturalized British citizen as well.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#29 of 66 Old 05-10-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
Irish and Canadian here, but they could have British too.

We are the same in this house but with American. My dd and I have Irish and American passports. She was born in the north of Ireland to Irish parents. DH's Irish was born here and I got my Irish citzenship by post nupital declaration. I was born in America. She is also eligible for a UK passport as DH. I could apply for UK citizenship but have no plans to. We got her Irish passport first because it was easier and we are here. After that we went to the US consulate to register her birth and get her passport. People eligible for US citizenship have to travel in and out the US on their American passports and we need the Irish to get home again. I applied for Irish citizenship because it makes life so much easier shorter lines at immigration, easier travel in Europe, no reapplying for EEA family permits, it makes proving my eligibility for work easier, I can get funding for courses, projects and eligible for government jobs and tax credits.
#30 of 66 Old 05-10-2009, 07:13 AM

I'm American and DH is Canadian. We live in Canada. Right now, my kids are both Canadian and only ds1 has a US passport. We've been lazy about ds2. I intend to seek Canadian citizenship as soon as I can apply because we'd like for the whole family to travel on the same type of passport and we don't intend to move to the US. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference between travelling with a Canadian passport vs and American one (at least not now that there's a new administration...), so I'm not sure my kids would really need both. And I worry about them (both being boys) having to register for the draft when they're 18...

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page