Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post
its definitely dry and flaky!
Well could it be an allergic reaction to something she is using? Or eating?

How offten do you brush her hair?

Maybe try getting a soft bristled toothbrush and then some coconut oil, or other type of oil and brushing (very softly) of her scalp.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#32 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Well could it be an allergic reaction to something she is using? Or eating?

How offten do you brush her hair?

Maybe try getting a soft bristled toothbrush and then some coconut oil, or other type of oil and brushing (very softly) of her scalp.
thanks for the advice!

we went to the dermatologist yesterday but off course he suggested to leave it like it is: he said dd is too young to use any kind of chemicals on her scalp (off course i agree on that one, but am a bit frustrated that he couldnt name me a reason for the dandruff).

the dandruff dissappears from time to time (like now) but eventually comes back. then i will try the toothbrush

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
#33 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 05:04 PM

her hair sounds like my brothers except he is 100% black. My mom doesn't use shampoo, she just washes with herbal essences hello hydration or hydralicious conditioner (no "cones" or silicones) in it and uses this to just scrub a little over two weeks. Every two weeks she uses Dr. Bronners peppermint oil soap and washes/scrubs his hair and scalp ONCE and rinses it. She then puts some stuff I make for her called Shealoe in his hair everyday but she puts in on his scalp not the hair and massages it into his head then brushes it through. As I said she repeats the oiling everyday, co-washes every 2-3 days, and washes with Dr. Bronners every two weeks. It worked wonders because his skin and everything was dry since he had eczema really bad and flakes that were huge and would fly up everywhere.

The recipe for shealoe is:
-Shea butter( I like the yellow kind) and you can get it from any african store.
-Aloe gel that I get from walmart but you can get it anywhere I believe.
-Coconut oil-health food section in my store
-pure glycerin-I get mine from CVS
When you get the shea butter smooth it out with a spoon so there are no chucks and just add all the ingredients above and mix together and there's Shealoe.

Sorry for writing a book I just wanted to be detailed. Let me know if that helps.
#34 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

@futurmama8

cool, thanks i like the shealoe recipe, i will definetly try it out! (once i bought the ingredients)

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
#35 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM

How often do you completely wet her hair/scalp between washings? I'm biracial myself and find that drenching my hair in the shower between washings does wonders for my scalp. I'm not saying you should do this everyday, but it might help.

Also, I love love love the products from Blended Beauty. They're too expensive for me to use all the time (although much less expensive than the cost of keeping my hair relaxed- never again!). There are product lines for different levels of curliness and also milder versions for children. Best of all, they're paraben and SLS free.
#36 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychethemuse View Post
How often do you completely wet her hair/scalp between washings? I'm biracial myself and find that drenching my hair in the shower between washings does wonders for my scalp. I'm not saying you should do this everyday, but it might help.

Also, I love love love the products from Blended Beauty. They're too expensive for me to use all the time (although much less expensive than the cost of keeping my hair relaxed- never again!). There are product lines for different levels of curliness and also milder versions for children. Best of all, they're paraben and SLS free.
hello psychethemuse

thank you for the link, i looked it up and think i may try the products! i will be in the us next month (me and our dd live in germany but will be visiting my ex/her dad in july). but you can only shop online there, right?
anyway, i will buy a few products for dd and try them out there (we will stay for 4 whole weeks)

i used to wash her hair/scalp only every 2-4 weeks because her hair/scalp is soooo sensitive and dry. also, her hair/scalp was never really dirty because she wears a cap during preschool (she joins an outdoor-perschool) so there was no real need to wash/rinse more often.

recently she has been itching so much that i followed your advice and rinsed it in the shower about once a week. i dont really see a difference, she still itches but maybe it will change soon?

#37 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychethemuse View Post
Also, I love love love the products from Blended Beauty. They're too expensive for me to use all the time (although much less expensive than the cost of keeping my hair relaxed- never again!).
BTW, is it common to relax childrens' hair in the usa? my ex lives in LA and i am very curious to see what kind of hairstyles are fashionable for black/or biracial kids with curls. the black people i see here in germany already relax children's hair a lot or put in faked braids, even when they are very young. off course it looks nice, but i dont think it is necessarily good for the real hair.

i keep my dd's hair all natural, i usually braid it in simple styles during the week and a few times i do "special" braids for certain occasions (birthday etc.).

i want to "teach" her to value and love her beautiful curly hair, even though it may need more/different treatment than streight hair (she is very sensitive when it comes to washing/touching/braiding her hair, even though i try to be careful). i want her to be proud of her look and she should not "hide" her heritage by wanting to look like "white" people. i would never relax her hair! and i hope that she will have enough self-confidence by the time when she can decide for herself.

so, after all, my question is: do a lot of mothers relax their children's hair where you live/in the us generally?

#38 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
the website indeed is interesting, thanks:

BUT: did anyone try the method of leaving conditioner in the hair?? i am a little sceptic whether it is really good for the hair to leave the conditioner in it and not to rinse it.....
I always leave a small amount of conditoner in my hair and DS's. It is easier to comb, and as someone said before, dries into nice glossy curls. I tried Kinky-Curly last month, and I am in love!!!!!

Quote:
BTW, is it common to relax childrens' hair in the usa? my ex lives in LA and i am very curious to see what kind of hairstyles are fashionable for black/or biracial kids with curls. the black people i see here in germany already relax children's hair a lot or put in faked braids, even when they are very young. off course it looks nice, but i dont think it is necessarily good for the real hair.

i keep my dd's hair all natural, i usually braid it in simple styles during the week and a few times i do "special" braids for certain occasions (birthday etc.).
I don't personally know anyone that with children under the age of 12 that have relaxers, mixed or not. I think that people of my cohort and our parents realized that relaxers are far from the ideal, and delay the process until the child is much older. Many of the teens with which I am familar do not relax either. However that is not to say that people don't relax the hair of children, because when I visit certain places and areas, I am more likely to see children who are young as age three with processed hair.

That is not to say though that relaxing the hair of a child is not common. I would almost want, from experience, to say that I have witnessed trends based upon economics and the education level of the parent. There seems to be a trend amongst educated black women/mothers of black children to not relax, and many women my age seem to be on the road to natural or wanting to go natural but are afraid.

Braids with extensions are useful if the stylist does not braid tightly. I am not a fan of braids, but if I had a daughter I would have her hair braided with extra hair if she were going to camp or to spend time with relatives who might not have time or hair care knowledge.

+ + =
#39 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
I always leave a small amount of conditoner in my hair and DS's. It is easier to comb, and as someone said before, dries into nice glossy curls. I tried Kinky-Curly last month, and I am in love!!!!!
thanks.

my question was more meant like: is it good for the hair to leave conditioner in it for such a long time? doesnt it damage the hair at all?

#40 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
thanks.

my question was more meant like: is it good for the hair to leave conditioner in it for such a long time? doesnt it damage the hair at all?
For me, it has worked wonders. My hair is curly and dry, so I have benefitted from allowing some to remain. I also use Suave, the cheapest conditoner known to man!

+ + =
#41 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 PM

I agree with AM, it has done wonders for my hair. It doesn't dry out as much and it is NOT damaged at all.
#42 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Some parents do perm their childrens hair very young but majority I have seen is around middle school age. I had fake braids when I was young as it is not as damaging to the hair as a perm.

Quote:
i want to "teach" her to value and love her beautiful curly hair, even though it may need more/different treatment than streight hair (she is very sensitive when it comes to washing/touching/braiding her hair, even though i try to be careful). i want her to be proud of her look and she should not "hide" her heritage by wanting to look like "white" people. i would never relax her hair! and i hope that she will have enough self-confidence by the time when she can decide for herself.
This so wonderful I think most parents should do this. Teach the child that their hair is beautiful and how to take proper care of it and when they are older (adult) let them decide if they want a perm. Relaxing the hair is permanent and it will have to be cut off if something goes wrong so you can also straighten the hair with a flat iron if she wants a straight style (but don't let the flat iron be too hot).
#43 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 08:27 PM

thanks for the links to the different sites, everyone-- it's very educational! :-)

i've done a little poking around to get some ideas of what to do with my sons' hair. i'm black, and wear a short afro after many years of wearing dreadlocks, and my husband is white. i'm still exploring what to do with my hair, as well as learning how to care for my boys'.

so what i do with them is essentially leaving conditioner in their hair from day to day. i keep a spray bottle of water with some conditioner (mane and tail-- the bottles are big and cheap!) in it; i'd estimate it's about 1 part conditioner to 5 or 6 parts water. in the morning, i spray down their hair, wetting it really well because it's easier to handle that way, and comb it out with an afro pick for the day. at bedtime, i rinse out their hair in the bath, again wetting it really well, and put it up in a braid for the night. just a single braid, nothing fancy. braiding keeps the tangles down and makes the morning ritual of combing out their hair so much easier.

after combing in the morning, their hair generally dries into an afro-y looking mass of corkscrew spirals (well, ringlets for my younger son, since his hair isn't as long as my elder's) which gets fluffier as the day goes on. so i'm sure if i were more aggressive with the conditioner, like using it straight and leaving it in, instead of diluted and towel-drying the excess, the spirals would hold their shape better. but i'm not fussy about it-- i just like to keep things relatively tangle-free. :-)

i use shampoo on them once every week or two. i'm not religious about it. if i think about it at bath-time and it's been more than a week since the last shampoo, and sometimes it's been much longer than that, then i'll shampoo them and use conditioner afterwards. i use whatever "baby formula" hair-and-body wash is on sale. we haven't had any issues so far, and my sons are 4.5 and 2.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#44 of 47 Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM

whoopsy- If your DD's scalp is still itchy and flaky even when you've changed things around, I might try take her to a different dermatologist. Psoriasis can be difficult to diagnose on scalps, and especially for non caucasians and kids. It can be irritated by shampoos/conditioners, but not often cured by avoiding chemicals.

you can also check out www.psoriasis.org for info.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#45 of 47 Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM

I have a 13 year old daughter and she has dandruff. She uses mixed chicks shampoo, and then when she's done in the shower she puts in mixed chicks leave in conditioner. She still continues to have dandruff. Do you have any tips, at all?
#46 of 47 Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Applecider vinegar is amazing!!!! I put about half apple cider and half aloe juice in a spray bottle and spray my scalp after I wash it and in between washings.
For dandruff issues not to condition the hair.
#47 of 47 Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
This is an old thread I just realized.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page