HAIR OMG!!! I mean really!!!! What do I do!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my UNBELIEVABLE 9 month old baby Scarlett. Look at her hair! Boy am I in trouble! Anyone got any advice on hair products or styles for a 9 month old LOL! Thanks

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...Picture099.jpg
#2 of 28 Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM

I'm sorry - I couldn't help but respond to your picture. Your dd is so beautiful. As for the hair - no idea. But what a cutie! That picture made me smile.
#3 of 28 Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

LOL Awwww Thanks. I did the math!! She was in my tummy for 8 months, and alive outside for 9. with 5 inches of hair! So I have come to the conclusion that it grows 1 centimeter every month.

Ill keep you updated with pics LOL

and my practice hairstyles, Im no good at braiding. I did her first pony tail last week and it was so cute! Wish me luck!
#4 of 28 Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Oh...she's beautiful I don't know product, but I would say braids...maybe?

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#5 of 28 Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM

LOVE your daughter!!! She is adorable! I can't really tell her hair type though. Is it blown out/blow dried there? It looks like she has curly hair but it's straight in that picture?
#6 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM

how freaking adorable. how lucky are you!!!

I wanted to ask the same questions as kimiij. Did you blow dry it or straighten it? I wouldn't do that to a 9 month old but some braids into a ponytail would be really cute. Or maybe a bunch of twists all over and then she can wear a little baby twistout!!!
#7 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

well this after i took her pony tails out! It straightened itself, when its wet it curls in ringlets, she is mixed with black/white

Thankyou for all the comments she is quite adorable and makes me laugh everyday!
#8 of 28 Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 AM

omgosh she is cute! My friend has a similar issue with her little girl. She uses the spray in conditioner (J/Johnson?) its a mainstream store brand like that or maybe gerber. But she spritzes it and then uses a wide tooth comb and leaves in. She occassionally makes little pig tails or uses barretes but the spray definately keeps it from getting all frizzed and it actually looks really cute because you can see her mop of curls
#9 of 28 Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM

#10 of 28 Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Your dd looks like Cindy Lou Who in the pic in your siggie! Too friggin cute!

And sorry, no advice - my babe is practically bald still. Tho I don't think I want to switch with you

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
#11 of 28 Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Wow, she is too precious!
#12 of 28 Old 06-03-2009, 03:20 PM

: Soooo cute!!!!

Um, other than being a bit big, what's wrong with her hair like that? If it's in her way, how about a big baby headband?
#13 of 28 Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM

I really hope you frame that pic of her. Too cute.
#14 of 28 Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 PM

I love that picture! What a cutie! Just be gentle with the baby's hair, and do not use harsh chemicals. Use a wide comb with dull ends too....my kids hair was like that when they were babies. You can also wrap it in a hair wrap like a scarf to keep if out of the eyes and part and braid it gently. You may want to let the scalp get air too so it is not uncomfortable because the scalp gets hot and the babies are uncomfortable. After awhile the hair will weigh itself to lay down more, but not right away.

If they experience pain with combing all children will avoid doing their hair, or letting you do it so try to make it a pleasant experience for them. It is hard sometimes though when I am in a hurry to keep them still for me to comb through it and put it in a style. Take your time and just let their hair stay as natural as possible.
#15 of 28 Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 PM

OMG. She is flippin' adorable!!

I have no advice for you about the hair (sorry ), but I couldn't not tell you that your DD is scrumptiously cute!
#16 of 28 Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM

good gosh, that baby belongs on the cover of mothering! She is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking cute!!!

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#17 of 28 Old 06-07-2009, 12:44 AM

She's too freaking cute!

(I update as much as I can)
#18 of 28 Old 06-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyzaazaa View Post
This is my UNBELIEVABLE 9 month old baby Scarlett. Look at her hair! Boy am I in trouble! Anyone got any advice on hair products or styles for a 9 month old LOL! Thanks

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...Picture099.jpg
Oh, so cute! I love the Oyin products from Oyin Handmade.

http://www.oyinhandmade.com

For hair like that I'd definitely recommend their conditioner and shine and define... and you may want to email them that picture and ask what else they recommend! FWIW I found their shampoo and body wash to be too drying. (Their funk butter is awesome too, but that is not for hair!)
#19 of 28 Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 AM

My SIL uses Nexium Frizz stuff on my bi-racial neice (black+white) and that works well for her. I have recently found Soap and Glory conditioner. Now, I am whiter than white but I have thick scottish hair that tangles BADLY and the Soap and Glory (at target, pink stuff) has made my hair SO soft, tangle free for days and has "cured" my split ends. I'm IN LOVE with Soap and Glory Hair Supply. Now these may not be the best chemical wise, but I love them! Your Daughter is SUPER darling! I can't tell what's better- her beautiful eyes or her hair!!! LOVE the pics!!!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#20 of 28 Old 06-07-2009, 06:16 AM

She is the CUTEST thing every!

OMG!

What about a bunch of little poofs on her head? I think that is sooooo cute!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#21 of 28 Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Check into this line:
http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-prod...-products.html

I linked you to the babies, but also look at the kids stuff. No harsh chemicals, and it smells SO good. DD has very fine curly hair, and the Milkshake product is amazing for her.

best of luck,
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#22 of 28 Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM

That expression is priceless!

Love the hair too, although I see what you mean. It's kind of huge but really pretty. LOL

Here's what I'd do ... wash it no more than once a week or every two weeks with castile soap (made from organic oils) and then maybe a rinse-out conditioner if you need it. Then after her hair is washed don't rub it dry, just pat it and put a little olive oil in it.

For every day maintenance you can comb it with a wet wide tooth comb and put maybe a dab of olive oil in it or some oil moisturizer (it's not a natural product but works really well, a really well-known brand is Pink Oil) and do braids, ponytails, etc. with a gentle elastic. To get the edges smooth use one of those brushes that don't have the little balls on the end of the bristles.

Her hair is gorgeous and will be easy to keep that way with a little daily maintenance. Enjoy your beautiful darling! :
#23 of 28 Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 AM

Your baby is a delight!

Coconut oil works great for thick, frizzy hair and conditions the scalp, too. It's completely natural and you can buy organic. We just love the stuff.
#24 of 28 Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 AM

she is cute!!! awwww
on another thread, someone suggested tightlycurly.com, which i can personally attest to trying her method, which works.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#25 of 28 Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM

My WORD, she is stunning!!! Ouidad makes a great kids collection. Here's the link:

http://www.ouidad.com/Krly-Kids

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#26 of 28 Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 AM

You might be surprised by how much a bit of moisturizing changes things. Skip the shampoo and massage her scalp with a lot of natural conditioner (california baby is great) and leave it in a bit before you rinse it out, then afterwards massage in some shea butter (or coconut oil or olive oil, but I've not used coconut and I've found olive oil to not be as moisturizing as shea butter) and braid or twist it up. It'll be fun! And her hair is SOOO beautiful! I am jealous of how thick it is, though of course that does make more work for you. But if you enjoy hair styling at all, you're going to have a ball once you get a feel for this. And maybe even if you don't know you'll enjoy it, you will once it starts making sense to you.

Once you've moisturized it more, you'll find it's SO much easier to comb. I put 6 parts water, one part conditioner, and a few drops of lavender essential oil to help calm scalp itchiness into a spray bottle for a detangler/moisturizer, and spray it lightly on the hair to ease combing and keep the moisture up. Add a little shea butter each time you style it, and you'll be amazed at how shiny and soft and easy to manage it can be.

have fun!
#27 of 28 Old 09-03-2009, 05:00 AM

You sweetie is adorable.
I echo using just a tip of olive oil and lightly braid or twist the hair. I would not use any chemical formulation at 9 months. Just wash with castile soap, moisturise lightly with olive oil and loosely braid/twist. At this age when everything is geting put in the mouth I try to use mostly food grade products - coconut oil (making sure its salt free) and olive oil as bases for moisturizers.

Sasha, WAHM Mama to one DS Mad Max Jan 2009 and wife to ED
#28 of 28 Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 AM

http://www.tightlycurly.com/Welcome.aspx

DD isn't mixed(we're all AA) but her hair is a throwback to our distant ancestors. It behaves like multi-racial hair. This helps a ton!

''''

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page