give me the scoop on coconut oil (HAIR!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Help me out here. I'm learning how to take care of 2 yo dd's hair... (she's half African, she's got fabulous curls)
A few on here have mentioned using coconut oil? Are we talking instead of a leave in conditioner? The stuff I buy and cook with?
Use it on her wet hair just like the salon stuff? It's still easy to comb through?

I'm trying it as soon as I run out of my tube of regular salon-bought leave-in curly stuff.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used it as conditioner with my youngest boy, but stopped because after a few hours he would start to smell "off". I used the regular oil, but I am curious too to see what others do.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Yogi Bhajan says we have it wrong in the west, he says Condition first and then Shampoo So work in some coconut oil, massage into the scalp really well then ideally sit out in the sun for a while- this is supposed to help hair grow as well. Then Shampoo out with a gentle shampoo (I make my own by brewing chamomile sun tea and then diluting it halfway to use as a shampoo rinse, have to store in the fridge though.)

mmmmmmm coconut babies
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have not had problems with coconut oil smelling off- it takes alot to make it go rancid. BUT i wouldnt reccomend using it in cool or cold temps, as the oil will harden and the hair becomes stiff. but here in texas right now it works great in DD's hair and has worked great in previous foster kiddo's hair.

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 PM

I guess I use it in place or leave in conditioner or hair oil. I put it in DS's hair while it's wet after shampoo and conditioner or sometimes just on it's own to get tangles out and get his curls looking slick. I rub it into my hands and then on his hair, I never have trouble with it smelling at all and I never try to rinse it out. It will get hard in the cold if you put a lot on but if you don't use much it's not a problem (for me at least).
I use non food grade that I get at mountain rose herbs b/c it's waaay cheaper that way.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

hmmmmmmm well my coconut oil currently is semi-solid in jar. Some i had this winter was full-solid.

I don't know if that's what it will look like all the time LOL this is the first time I've had it around.

I hadn't thought of what might happen if I tried it in the winter here

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM

Coconut oil is mostly solid at room temperature. At around 85-90 it turns to liquid. Below 65 and it's pretty rock hard. In cold weather I just scrape it out with my fingers and it melts really fast in my hands. No problems with it solidifying in his hair if I don't use a lot. Right now it's hot here so it's liquid that I just dip my fingertips in and spread on my hand before working into his hair.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 06-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks for this thread! I have started using coconut oil as lotion and it works wonders for my dry sensitive skin :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
Help me out here. I'm learning how to take care of 2 yo dd's hair... (she's half African, she's got fabulous curls)
A few on here have mentioned using coconut oil? Are we talking instead of a leave in conditioner? The stuff I buy and cook with?
Use it on her wet hair just like the salon stuff? It's still easy to comb through?

I'm trying it as soon as I run out of my tube of regular salon-bought leave-in curly stuff.
Hi, I have recommended it a couple times because it's great. The jar I have actually says on it to use it to cook with and and oil hair and skin .

I actually use it to oil my hair because black hair (pic in siggy) needs oil so no I am not using it as a leave in conditioner. I actually leave a small amount of regular conditoner(herbal essences) in my hair so it stays a little moisturized (that makes the hair curly too!!).

You can use it on wet hair but I part my hair and put in on my actual scalp and do this throughout my head, massage it in and then brush through. I honestly don't like putting it straight onto my hair because I feel like oil gets every where so just brushing it through gets it everywhere. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

so DON'T use it like a leave in cond.

Is it going to help me be able to brush through her hair? Or am I going to need something else to make that happen?

the poor girl while I've been on my learning curve, she's developed a complete aversion to having her hair messed with at all....we're working on it. (she likes "piggytails" but does not want me to wash or brush it)

Needs oil? I don't *think* she "needs" it. How do I know if she "needs" it?

I'm just getting used to the idea that she does not "need" her hair washed more than once a week!

So here is another hair-care question......if you are only supposed to shampoo every 4 to 7 days....what do you do about the food mess? The sand from the park? Do I just wet, condition, brush??

it's truly a foreign concept to me NOT to wash hair every couple days....

Old 06-12-2009, 02:41 PM

I use it in my hair on a pretty regular basis. I wash, then use some oil, then wash it out, THEN condition. I have also been known to use a tiny amount after getting out of the shower as a leave-in if my hair is really in need of it. I've never had a problem with it going 'off'.

I have a TON of hair that's coarse, curly, and hard to manage. Honestly, it's right up there with a horse's mane.... *sigh*.

Without the coconut oil it tends to be pretty unmanageable. When I use it regualrly though, my hair is much easier to comb through. Yes, comb- trying to get a brush through my hair is awful- it really hurts! A wide-toothed comb when it's wet is about as far as I can go, then I let it dry naturally. If I did use coconut oil, I don't even need to use product in my hair and I get amazing curls. If I didn't use coconut oil, I need to use something with silicone in it to coat the hair shaft to make combing through possible.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
so DON'T use it like a leave in cond.
As I said I am 100% black. Oiling the hair is different from a leave in because I can do a leave in AND oil my hair with the coconut oil.
Quote:
Is it going to help me be able to brush through her hair? Or am I going to need something else to make that happen?
To help with getting through her hair make sure it is WET!!! It is HORRIBLE and HURTS when you comb through it dry. So when you are washing her hair:
1.put her hair in four sections
2.completely wet it
3.put a lot of conditioner throughout it (as you do each section)
4. use a WIDE TOOTH comb and start from the ends and comb up towards her scalp
5. style while it is wet.
I promise it works because the conditioner makes the hair slippery so gently combing will untangle it. Also each night either braid or plait her hair so it won't get tangled throughout the night. then you can take the plaits out and you have crinkely pig tails!!

Quote:
the poor girl while I've been on my learning curve, she's developed a complete aversion to having her hair messed with at all....we're working on it. (she likes "piggytails" but does not want me to wash or brush it)
Just do what I said above and she shouldn't notice while in the tub. My friend also does her daughter(26 months) hair when she is sleep.
Quote:
Needs oil? I don't *think* she "needs" it. How do I know if she "needs" it?
black hair needs it because our hair does not make oil as much other ethnicities, which is why we don't wash it as much. So oiling her SCALP every 2-3 days then brushing it after should be fine.
Quote:
I'm just getting used to the idea that she does not "need" her hair washed more than once a week!
So here is another hair-care question......if you are only supposed to shampoo every 4 to 7 days....what do you do about the food mess? The sand from the park? Do I just wet, condition, brush??
Washing every week seems like enough BUT if it gets dirty it is fine to wash it just make sure you keep it moisturized and oil it after. What kind of shampoo do you use for her hair?
Quote:
it's truly a foreign concept to me NOT to wash hair every couple days....
I understand because it was foreign to me when my white friends told me they wash their hair everyday . I personally wet my hair everyday and put a small amount of conditioner it in everyday and leave it in. Every week I wash/scrub with Dr. Bronners peppermint soap as a shampoo and start all over again. I use Dr. Bronners because it is all natural and has NO SLS(sodium laureth sulfate) and it doesn't dry my hair out. Maybe that can work for your household because its a body wash too.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
mmmmmmm coconut babies
i use 100% pure organic coconut oil/butter on my dd's scalp and it does not smell a bit! the scent is neutral.

its funny because she realized that i use the same butter on her hair/scalp that i use as a spread on her sandwich so i had to explain to her why that is....

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:18 AM

I love coconut oil and have yet to have it smell off, but then again I wash(with conditioner) my hair every single day, then apply a homemade mixture that is 50% cocnut oil and then Kinky Curly Curling Custard for shine and hold.

Coconut oil is awesome and inexpensive. Not heavy, not too light, just right!

+ + =
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As I said I am 100% black. Oiling the hair is different from a leave in because I can do a leave in AND oil my hair with the coconut oil.

To help with getting through her hair make sure it is WET!!! It is HORRIBLE and HURTS when you comb through it dry. So when you are washing her hair:
1.put her hair in four sections
2.completely wet it
3.put a lot of conditioner throughout it (as you do each section)
4. use a WIDE TOOTH comb and start from the ends and comb up towards her scalp
5. style while it is wet.
I promise it works because the conditioner makes the hair slippery so gently combing will untangle it. Also each night either braid or plait her hair so it won't get tangled throughout the night. then you can take the plaits out and you have crinkely pig tails!!
I had the wet part figured out. I've started doing it only in or immediately after the tub because she doesn't like the spray bottle method of wetting her hair.
I bought two new brushes this week, one recommended by tightlycurly.com, a Denman, which I don't like probably because it is a straight one and I prefer the larger rounded.
The other is a "looper" it says on it. Bought it at a beauty supply store, it has loops and is meant for extensions, but the lady said she has some moms come in saying it's the only thing their kids will let them use. DD prefers this one.

I also started using more leave in product, right now I am using a tube of Biolage stuff we bought when she was a year old LOL (it's a BIG tube and she used to obviously have far less hair)

I go back and forth on comb versus brush...I do have a wide tooth comb I was using for awhile, I might try it again. also the sections.

Quote:
Just do what I said above and she shouldn't notice while in the tub. My friend also does her daughter(26 months) hair when she is sleep.
if it was my son, well, either of them I think I think I would try the sleep. DD however is just like her dad, lighter sleeper and if she gets woke up she can't fall back asleep for a long time.

Quote:
black hair needs it because our hair does not make oil as much other ethnicities, which is why we don't wash it as much. So oiling her SCALP every 2-3 days then brushing it after should be fine.

Washing every week seems like enough BUT if it gets dirty it is fine to wash it just make sure you keep it moisturized and oil it after. What kind of shampoo do you use for her hair?
I just switched. I was using a Loreal kids 2 in 1 stuff I got because we used it at a friend's and it seemed to work well. When I was at the beauty store I bought a separate shampoo and conditioner called "Silken Child" it was what she recommended for 'ethnic kids' (her word) and $7 for both. It has shea butter in the ingredients. It also seems to work well. (at $7 for both versus a whole lot more for Mixed Chicks online....couldn't argue with trying it)

The other thing I don't do anymore to either of us is pile the hair when shampooing like on the commercials. Even with my hair this makes it much less tangled, easier to work with.

Quote:
I understand because it was foreign to me when my white friends told me they wash their hair everyday . I personally wet my hair everyday and put a small amount of conditioner it in everyday and leave it in. Every week I wash/scrub with Dr. Bronners peppermint soap as a shampoo and start all over again. I use Dr. Bronners because it is all natural and has NO SLS(sodium laureth sulfate) and it doesn't dry my hair out. Maybe that can work for your household because its a body wash too.
I may have to try it again. I used it when ds1 was a baby (the baby stuff not the peppermint though) and quit when I got it in his eyes accidentally one time. (he had the most hair as a baby, he had his first haircut at 5 months old!) since he is a boy though and by his choice his dad cuts his real short, so his is easy to take care of! (he will actually ask for it to be cut again when his sister can pull it )
I'm better at rinsing now and (this week anyway, ) dd likes putting her head under the faucet while it's running to fill the tub to wash her hair. great way to avoid the eyes.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I have my hair care solution!

We took a mini-vacation this weekend to DH's aunt's and one of her friends braided DD's hair for me. Took an entire like 5 minutes (Well she had just gotten out of the tub so it had been conditioned and combed) and she looks GORGEOUS, I don't know how she did it because like I've said, I can braid MY hair, but I can't braid DD's, it just does not turn out right!

of course it doesn't help that for ME dd screams and moves and fights it, for this woman she stood there and let her do it, moved to my lap for the last two braids. and of course this is someone who's been doing this for her two girls and has far more experience with it than I do

I told DH we will just have to move there. (an idea I actually really like anyway as we all love Dh's auntie and the community there. I actually understood enough of their Arabic conversation this weekend to figure out she was telling him all the benefits of living there, and I talked the idea up all the way home )

Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Coconut oil is awesome and inexpensive.

really? thats interesting.
here in germany coconut oil is quiet expensive! for a shmall bottle of 200g (= 7 ounce) 100% organic coconut oil we pay around 6 euro (= ca. 8 us-$).

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM

i have loved coconut oil on my hair all my life. maybe that explains my undying love of pina colodas as well. but seriously, it is abundant at black beauty supply stores. thankfully, i live in an urban area and can't go too far without crossing a beauty supply store.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 06-20-2009, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

that's what I need to find here a black beauty supply store....though I've wondered if people would wonder what *I* was doing in there...and I can't send DH as he would not know what to buy for her....he's 100% black, what works on his hair does not work at all for the kids! What he uses is 'too much' for their hair.

(I know, I tried his stuff on DS once when he was about 20ish months and hadn't had a haircut for awhile. Let's just say it did not go well.)

Old 06-20-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
that's what I need to find here a black beauty supply store....though I've wondered if people would wonder what *I* was doing in there...and I can't send DH as he would not know what to buy for her....
you shouldnt worry about what other people may think, everybody can go into that store, no matter what colour your skin has.

if i worried all the time i would never have the time to go on with my life

Old 06-21-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

lol i don't really too much I guess it's just finding something *here* first of all.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 AM

I have been using coconut oil on both my son and my own hair for the past year and half. It is best when used before shampooing and then using a very light shampoo afterwards. We use Dr. Brommer's in my home I dilute it for us both to be even more gentle. I would NOT recommend it on the skin however because it deplenishes the body's abilty to make its own natural oils and causes the skin to become dry once you stop using it much like baby oil. Had to learnt that lesson the hard way. Good Luck
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM

You don't have to use "black" hair products at all. Coconut oil is the best! I use it on my hair (A-A) and my DD's(AA/Hispanic) hair. No other product found in a hair store has worked so well. I use it daily on dry hair. Other great oils that can be found at the health food store are: Sweet Almond Oil and Jojoba Oil, I still prefer coconut oil and it's the cheapest.

I would also make sure to stay away from products that have alcohols, mineral oil and petroleum in it. Some "non-black" hair products can strip the hair of moisture so you do have to be careful, but not all "black" marketed products are healthy for our hair either. Just make sure to use moisturizing shampoo and moisturizing conditioner. That's more important than if it's marketed for AA hair.

A GREAT leave-in conditioner is NTM Silk Touch Leave-in conditioner. Also V05 conditioner is excellent for after shampooing. If hair is hard to comb daily, use a deep conditioner after shampooing. leave in hair and put on a plastic cap for about 30 min, then rinse and apply leave-in. Always detangle hair before it's allowed to dry.

You can wash hair as often as necessary as long as you are sure to replenish the moisture afterwards. Do not leave sand or food in the hair because it hasn't been a week yet. You don't need to use shampoo each time as long as you are sure to use conditioner each time. It's called co-washing. You use the conditioner in place of the shampoo, it's not as drying as shampoo but will still remove dirt.

I know you probably will receive tons of conflicting information.
A wealth of info can be found at longhaircareforum. There are people there with many different types of hair and you can see what different products work best for them. All AA or biracial hair is not the same. There is also a forum for children's hair care.

My DD's wash routine. Always use a wide-tooth comb for detangling such as the Jibere shower comb.
Comb through hair so that there are no tangles.
Wet hair, use a moisturizing shampoo-Just for Me, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, VO5 Moisturizing Milk, etc
Rinse, apply shampoo again, rinse
Apply deep conditioner-LeKair,etc. comb through apply plastic cap for 30min
Sometimes, I skip the deep conditioning and just apply regular moisturizing conditioner-same brands as above, comb through, wait a few minutes and rinse
Comb through again and apply leave-in conditioner. Allow to air dry and then style with coconut oil into ponytails. I always twist or braid hair to the bottom if hair is long.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...diapers002.jpg
Daily I apply coconut oil or another oil or cream (such as shea butter) to dry hair and then style. Sometimes a little water or detangler is used to tame the fly aways.

I have a recommendation for a great line of products I recently discovered that worked miracles on my DD's and my hair. PM if you want to the info.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post
really? thats interesting.
here in germany coconut oil is quiet expensive! for a shmall bottle of 200g (= 7 ounce) 100% organic coconut oil we pay around 6 euro (= ca. 8 us-$).
I pay about $8.00 for a 14 ounce jar of Whole Foods Brand coconut oil. Sometimes I will pay $14 for a 16 ounce jar of cold pressed oil.

I consider $14 to be inexpensive because I have spent as much as $58 dollars on some 16 ounce hair products, but compared to imitation coconut oil hair grease at $4 for a 12 ounce jar pure coconut oil is expensive.

+ + =
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
that's what I need to find here a black beauty supply store....though I've wondered if people would wonder what *I* was doing in there...and I can't send DH as he would not know what to buy for her....he's 100% black, what works on his hair does not work at all for the kids! What he uses is 'too much' for their hair.

(I know, I tried his stuff on DS once when he was about 20ish months and hadn't had a haircut for awhile. Let's just say it did not go well.)
most grocery stores sell coconut oil in the baking section near the crisco and oilve oil. I have yet to find pure coconut oil in the black beauty supply stores near me. Just the imitation oil that contains petrolatum and added coconut perfume.

+ + =
Old 06-27-2009, 02:42 PM

My sister uses this as her conditioner because it helps in the re-growth of damaged hair and also provides the essential proteins required for its nourishment.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Where could I even find coconut oil? I looked in the grocery stores around here when I was trying to find it for cooking. Would the oil used for hair be the same used in cooking, or is it more like a balm?

Also, is it expensive? Cause we're seriously poor. But I think it sounds like it would help my hair quite a bit.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Where could I even find coconut oil? I looked in the grocery stores around here when I was trying to find it for cooking. Would the oil used for hair be the same used in cooking, or is it more like a balm?

Also, is it expensive? Cause we're seriously poor. But I think it sounds like it would help my hair quite a bit.
I found our coconut oil at Whole Foods, i think? it was a "healthy" grocery store. they did have coconut oil in the bath/beauty section but if i recall it was a bit more expensive so i just got the jar they had in the food section with the rest of the cooking oils (and on the jar it does mention uses for the body)...it was fairly expensive though if i can find it in a regular grocery store i bet it would be cheaper. It was around $8 for a jar about the size of a regular peanut butter jar? I think? (too lazy to go look!)...i just have one toddler and that jar still has about 1/3 left, and we've used it for months and months. A little bit goes a long way.

The coconut oil is pretty solid (unless its very warm in your house, then it can get softer all the way to complete liquid. but it can turn back to solid if it gets colder. Kind of cool! ) I just scoop a bit out, rub it between my palms for a few seconds and it completely melts, then i rub it into my ds' hair and also on his body. What i love is it makes him smell like an Almond Joy when i put it on,but then pretty much is odorless after awhile.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
Old 07-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
You can also get coconut oil at Walmart...I don't like shopping there but it's the only place in my area that sells it. It's in a white tub with a green lid in the oil section. 31.5 oz is about $5.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Old 07-03-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
You can also get coconut oil at Walmart...I don't like shopping there but it's the only place in my area that sells it. It's in a white tub with a green lid in the oil section. 31.5 oz is about $5.
I don't like shopping there, either, but $$ wise may be my only option. We have looked and looked in the health sections of the grocery stores. We cannot afford ANYTHING in the natural food pantry. It's insanely outrageously expensive for anything sold in that store. Just nuts. So if I want this, I think I'll have to go to Walmart. Unless any of you live in Anchorage and know where else I can go.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

User Tag List