German Mamas....what do you think of this name? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a German American friend who is due with her 2nd. She told me she wants to name him/her Zeppelin. Her last name is Graf I really like the name, and think it sounds pretty cool, but I wonder if this baby would be a laughing stock when she takes him/her to visit family in Germany. It's really none of my business of course, and she should name her baby whatever she wants. I was just curious to see what you all thought.
#2 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks* View Post
I have a German American friend who is due with her 2nd. She told me she wants to name him/her Zeppelin. Her last name is Graf I really like the name, and think it sounds pretty cool, but I wonder if this baby would be a laughing stock when she takes him/her to visit family in Germany. It's really none of my business of course, and she should name her baby whatever she wants. I was just curious to see what you all thought.
Not that I, personally, would laugh, but she's not concerned about that possibility here?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 PM

There was a thread awhile back in which someone was considering that name. The consensus was, NO, NO for several reasons:

Most people associated the word with the Hindenberg disaster - and who wants folks to think of horrific fiery death when they see your sweet baby?

Zeppelins were also used as bombers during WW1 - again with the horrific fiery death.

And then there was the problem of zeppelin = blimp = unflattering mental image
#4 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
There was a thread awhile back in which someone was considering that name. The consensus was, NO, NO for several reasons:

Most people associated the word with the Hindenberg disaster - and who wants folks to think of horrific fiery death when they see your sweet baby?

Zeppelins were also used as bombers during WW1 - again with the horrific fiery death.

Yikes...I wasn't aware of all that. Should I say something to her? I'm shocked she hasn't thought of this herself.
#5 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 03:21 PM

If she would be in Europe I would be very concerned.There is also a well-known add-drug in Northern Europe, for children, named "Zappelin".

Vegmum:Hedding::: treehugger::
#6 of 24 Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think Zeppelin Graf sounds pretty awesome (and i'm not really pro-"out there" names)...goes well together. She could call him Zep for short. I just think of the band, i mean the Hindenburg was a loooong time ago. I'm not sure most people would instantly think "disaster/death" upon hearing a little boy with that name.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#7 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM

no, seriously.
i am one for weird names, & my friend called her little one "sunny rainbow" , but Zeppelin Graf, that's just so.. no.
seriously, i mean. i guess it's totally up to her anyway, but i would not like it, i think that child would not be very happy later in life either.
#8 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks* View Post
Yikes...I wasn't aware of all that. Should I say something to her? I'm shocked she hasn't thought of this herself.
Depends how she asks. If she says, "I'm thinking of Zeppelin. What do you think?" then maybe gently. If she says, "I've finally thought of a name for the baby! Zeppelin! It's German, it's familiar here, and we love it!" then unfortunately no.

Of course everyone told me how bizarre they thought the name I chose was, in hopes of changing my mind.

I had already chosen the name. :

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#9 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Maybe come up with another name, like a close relatives middle name or something, say "why don't you call baby ..... after grandpa ...." ?
#10 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 04:57 PM

When you say "German-American," you mean she has some German extended family? Because I can't imagine a German wanting to name a child Zeppelin. For starters, the German government requires "real" names if you want a German birth certificate or passport. (I have a problem with this rule, but it does exist.)

Maybe just try to convince her to seek a native German's opinion? Just from the perspective of "you want to make sure it doesn't have negative connotations/isn't slang for something offensive" angle.
#11 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Interestingy enough, the founder of the Zeppelin company WAS "Graf Zeppelin" ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graf_Zeppelin Graf is german for "Count"...

I also bet there are plenty of people in Germany with the name Zeppelin (probably as a last name, but maybe now also as a first name)...it IS a "real name" yknow. i also bet there are plenty of non-german kids with the name, probably after the band, and there are SO many unusual names nowadays kids in school wouldnt blink an eye with a name like that. my niece went to school with a "Maverick" and she didnt think it was at all strange (but laughed and laughed when looking through my old yearbooks "Renee??? someone was actually named RENEE????" she thought it was hilarious.)

when names like "Naveah" have now become totally mainstream (i remember when that name first started showing up...."its heaven backwards!! get it?!" ) i think just about anything is fair game. Its not like she is naming the kid Moon Unit.

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#12 of 24 Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
Interestingy enough, the founder of the Zeppelin company WAS "Graf Zeppelin" ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graf_Zeppelin Graf is german for "Count"...

I also bet there are plenty of people in Germany with the name Zeppelin (probably as a last name, but maybe now also as a first name)...it IS a "real name" yknow. i also bet there are plenty of non-german kids with the name, probably after the band, and there are SO many unusual names nowadays kids in school wouldnt blink an eye with a name like that. my niece went to school with a "Maverick" and she didnt think it was at all strange (but laughed and laughed when looking through my old yearbooks "Renee??? someone was actually named RENEE????" she thought it was hilarious.)

when names like "Naveah" have now become totally mainstream (i remember when that name first started showing up...."its heaven backwards!! get it?!" ) i think just about anything is fair game. Its not like she is naming the kid Moon Unit.
I didn't mean that Zeppelin wouldn't be considered a real name in the U.S. Pretty much anything goes here. I meant that the German government has a list of what they consider "real" names, and you can't just name your kid whatever you want there. The rule specifically says no last names used as first names, and specifies that names must make the child's gender clear. The OP seemed concerned that her friend's child would be made fun of when visiting Germany, so I was just speaking to that possibility.
#13 of 24 Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Last names are not allowed as first names in Germany. Hence, Zeppelin Graf is out.

Personally, I would never name my child that way. It does sound really odd in German and has a lot of not so nice connotations, as mentioned earlier.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#14 of 24 Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
Last names are not allowed as first names in Germany. Hence, Zeppelin Graf is out.
The friend who likes the name is German-American though, not German, right? I guess it depends on how much time she is planning on spending in Germany during her baby's childhood.

Katherine

#15 of 24 Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
The friend who likes the name is German-American though, not German, right? I guess it depends on how much time she is planning on spending in Germany during her baby's childhood.
If the child will have German citizenship, it will need to have a different name in Germany, which is possible, but a hassle.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#16 of 24 Old 07-02-2009, 10:07 AM

I agree with one of the other posters, if a person doesn't think "fiery tragic accident" upon hearing the name "Zeppelin" its a good chance they will be thinking "big blimp." Either connotation is pretty unfortunate.

I think a thin boy could get away with this name (and it would actually be quite cool), but I think it could be a very embarassing name for a girl or a chubby boy.
#17 of 24 Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I remember that thread and had similar thoughts.
#18 of 24 Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyfriedgirl View Post
I agree with one of the other posters, if a person doesn't think "fiery tragic accident" upon hearing the name "Zeppelin" its a good chance they will be thinking "big blimp." Either connotation is pretty unfortunate.
How terrible is it of me that my first thought is led zeppelin.
#19 of 24 Old 07-05-2009, 04:59 AM

i think its kind of a "funny" name (as above explained by others) and in GE i would definitely not use it. but in the US, why not?

to me (as a german living in GE) it seems like americans are much more keener to experiment when it comes to names than germans :-)

Me with the wonder of my life (2/06) * : * : * * * ...surfin' together on the wave of life : ...
#20 of 24 Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM

Is it going to be a boy? I don't see a problem with it. I'd rather see a kid named Zeppelin than "Sunny Rainbow."

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#21 of 24 Old 07-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Additionally the name Zeppelin comes from Count von Zeppelin, a German general and aeronaut..

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#22 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 AM

As mentioned before, if she wants a German passport Zeppelin won't fly as first name with German authorities. It is a last name. Like ****** is a last name, no way they will accept that.
As for the name, it's horrible I think. It's a last name, and it means blimp, it's just weird. Is she really a German or just has German ancestry? I highly doubt a German native would do that to a kid... It will set him up for lots of drama and being laughed at...
#23 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 PM

I don't really like the name Zeppelin since I'm a believer in Name book names and I have to agree with Nia that it will probably not work. In some states it is ok to add a second name that shows the gender like Zeppelin-Otto or whatever but that sounds even worse.

I personally wouldn't do it out of fear that my kid is gonna be made fun of.

joy.gif
#24 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Well, an American with German heritage would propably do that, just like naming their child "Gretel" and "Heidi"...But "Zeppelin Graf" strikes me as American trying to show some heritage.

In either case "Zeppelin Graf" is a surefire way for the child do endure some real teasing if he was going to a german school.

I guess in the US anything flies but I sure wouldn't do it in Germany. Who would want their child associated with "flying blimp going up in smokes"? That name will seriously impact a child in Germany- it's like here were a certain name can make it impossible for you to get an Interview etc- that's a heavy burden to give to a child...

By the way OP, I noticed the last three posters here are German and have the same reaction...sometimes asking a native is a good way to ged an honest reaction.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page