French Canadian electronic toys and shipping to the U.S. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of you may remember my earlier thread on this with a cross post in Parenting (see below for links).

Currently I am trying to order the French editions of the Fisher Price Smart Cycle and the Leap Frog tag. I found what I wanted on Toys R Us Canada and went all the way through the ordering process but it wasn't until I went to check out that I got a message telling me there were some items they couldn't (wouldn't?) ship to my address. I'm not even sure they specified that it's because it's in the U.S. but that seems like a good working assumption.

All of the items were French electronics and all of the items were highlighted in red as needing to be deleted from my cart.

I know from earlier threads that it seems like shipping French books and non electronic toys doesn't seem to be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this?

I have tried other online stores: Sears, Walmart, Target but Walmart was the only store that had any of these items (the Smart Cycle and one game) but there was no online ordering option. Although you could print out a list to take to the store.

So, I'm back at square one.

Any suggestions? It's too late for DD1's upcoming B-Day but maybe I can figure something out in time for Christmas.

UPDATE - Any French speaking Moms? Especially any familiar with Leap Frog? See post 26
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=cath

Any French Speaking Moms? Especially any familiar with Leap Frog products on Canadian websiteshttp://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=1023910&highlight=cath

Thanks,
~Cath
#2 of 3 Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM

forgive me if you know this already but there is a difference between French French and French spoke in Quebec/Canada. My aupair is from Paris, she didn't always understand the French in Quebec. Even standard Canadian French is different. I'd stick to France based language tools IMO

8 might be enough
#3 of 3 Old 08-27-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
forgive me if you know this already but there is a difference between French French and French spoke in Quebec/Canada. My aupair is from Paris, she didn't always understand the French in Quebec. Even standard Canadian French is different. I'd stick to France based language tools IMO
Honestly, the alphabet, numbers and colours are pretty much the same. And I have a few battery-operated Canadian-bought Leap Frog toys and they are perfectly acceptable for learning basic French, IMO. The accent isn't French-Canadian (like harsh Quebec accents), but it's not a French (France) accent, either. They use generic-sounding French accents - kind of like the generic American accent equivalent (like Julia Roberts as opposed to a strong Boston accent, if you know what I mean).

Anyways, to answer Cath, you're kind of stuck. Either have someone in Canada buy you the toy and mail it down, or make a trip to Canada and purchase them yourself One route that might work is buying something from ebay.ca - the individual ebay-er won't mind mailing it to you as long as you don't mind paying the shipping. We have issues with cross-border purchases all the time, too, as I live the the U.S. and my family lives in Montreal.

NAK.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page