Mums raising kids in a country different from where you grew up? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramat View Post
I will totally check out your blog! Have found the local prefolds, and they are wonderfully absorbent, but I haven't found covers yet. Made some, but the velcro quickly wore-out on them, so need to find some better-quality stuff. Ordering a few diapers from the US for the newborn...
Hi Tamara and Ellie,
Didn't get a chance to post they entry about dipes yesterday .. but it is up there now .. posted this morning .. Hope you find it useful. Enjoy !

Tanya

Mama to my little milk monster, Malu : (12/20/08)
#62 of 73 Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Roman Goddess - thanks for the webite. I will check it out
ewe+lamb - Thank you for the support. I am actually in Gex, which is onthe border of Switzerland. From what I have found there is no LLL here, but there is another brastfeeding support group so I go there.

Things are imrpoving. I have met some other moms and dd1 will start school in January. Granted the moms all speak English but ya gotta start somewhere.

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#63 of 73 Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithappened View Post
Also, I dont know what part of the US you live, but if you are anywhere near a city, I always found a ton of different types of playgroups available
I'm sure you're right. It was particularly hard for me when we moved here as I was struggling with some physical challenges, which made getting out anywhere with two children very hard. Also, some things that I did try seemed very unwelcoming, like a local chapter of a national mothers group wouldn't even tell me anything that was on their schedule unless I paid and I didn't want to pay only to find that locations and times didn't work out for us. I tried a handful of things, found that we had enough going on and didn't really explore anymore. Now a few things have changed for us that mean I probably could do with starting that process again.

It's just happened to be a year or so with a lot of change for us, we were going to a big church and they planted a church, so we went with the plant and we're very happy with that, but it also meant there was no longer a daytime bible study for me to go to and I made the choice that I wasn't going to seek that at a church other than our own.

We had an unplanned 3rd baby, which has put me back into baby mode, which I haven't done here before. The odd thing I have gone to, I find that because of the gap between kids that my 4.5yr old is often the oldest when most people have toddlers, but that I also don't fit into baby focused groups.

DD is at preschool 3 mornings a week and I'm really hoping that after Christmas I can schedule a baby only activity during that time. It can be tricky to pay for things up front then feel you have to go and it can make it difficult to schedule one off appointments.

I've also not continued with a couple of activities that I did alone that aren't easily compatible with a nursing baby (she's 6 months today) at first I didn't really notice then over time I've come to really miss them.

I've been struggling with depression, it started during the pregnancy and I've been on medication for about 7 months now, unfortunately it really doesn't seem to be working all that well, which makes things even harder, I get anxious about going to things whether it's meeting new people or with people I know. This time of year has always been hard for me since we've been away from home, we have an invite for Thanksgiving and I'm looking forward to that, but I'm dreading Christmas.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#64 of 73 Old 11-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Oh, good thread. I'm Aussie, and my dear is Belgian, we live in Scandinavia. (Yeah, how did that happen! )
I miss home like crazy, but I've been back. Actually just this summer we were there, in Perth, for 6 weeks, and I miss it even more now! We do plan on moving back home to Oz, it's just some things that make it impossible atm. (Mostly our little miss that is very sick, and we can't move away from our hospital and docs that have followed us for 6 years, she's so unique that we wont get the same care.)
It's hard to be so homesick all the time, but I do enjoy some things here too. It's very good to live here with a severe SN child, and I actually enjoy the winters with snow and cold.
But all in all, home is where we want to be again, eventually.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#65 of 73 Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM

annekh23-

it sounds like you have a lot on your plate and even more with unplanned pregnancies and moving on top of that. give yourself a little break

I know there are depression etc hotlines you can call in the US which offer support anonymously and easily.. it might be worth having in place if going out to meet people or joining groups feels like too much?

PM me if you want to talk more..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#66 of 73 Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 AM

I'm American, Dh is French and we live in England. Before coming here we were in Germany for almost 6 years. We homeschool and our 4 kids speak French and English. Culturally they don't fit in anywhere really. They are not typically French or American or British - and certainly not German.

I miss my family and friends. I'm sad that my kids don't really know my family. I've lost three grandparents and an uncle since living abroad and I was unable to attend their funerals, and that was really hard on me.

Sometimes I wish we could move back to the US, but I do feel there are advantages to living in Europe - universal health care being one of them.
#67 of 73 Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 AM

I'm a Dutchie living in Denver w/ my American hubby. My dad is an American, but I grew up in Holland, so I definitely consider that home.

Although I love Denver, I miss Holland a lot. It's certain things, like the way people in Rotterdam (where I lived all my life) talk, they way they are, Dutch food, the culture, the smells.... I'm planning on going back in Spring so I am really excited about that.

If there are any other Dutchies here, feel free to send me a message

Maxime - Wife to Brian (08.11.2007) - Mommy to Lili Elizabeth (08.12.2008)
#68 of 73 Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Can I join this thread?

I'm an Aussie living in Canada. I met my (Canadian) DH while we were at grad school in the US and now we are in Canada.

I'm very happy to be living here, but am sort of sad that my kids won't grow up with any of the same things I had (hot Christmases, the beach, Aussie lifestyle). Moving there just isn't an option for us because DH's field doesn't really exist there.

I would like to spend a year there, though once our kids are a bit older for all of us.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#69 of 73 Old 02-11-2010, 01:04 AM

I was born in Spain but I was raised in Norway, I don't consider myself Norwegian but Scandinavian. I can live in any country there and feel at home. My dad is half Spaniard half Dane and my mom is an Icelander.
We travel and move a lot. So far we've lived in Australia, Spain, Canada, US, and we're moving to Denmark next year. My DH is French American.
We lived in Australia and then Spain before getting married, we didn't had the girls but just Addie. It's complicated. Then the girls were born in Canada and my son here in the US.

So far, if I could I would live anywhere BUT here, not that I have anything against the US. But I find it boring, and it's definately were we live in. I like big cities. I was raised in Oslo, then I was sent to a boarding school in OZ. I've lived in Madrid, Sydney, Vancouver and now living in Gillette WY is definately something I was not ready for.
Copenhagen is waiting for me, it would be like going back home. And it will be nice to raise my children there, I can't wait. After that I'm convincing my DH about settling in Iceland, even though he says it's too far away from everything.

Leo(5), Cata(4), Tiago(1/9/09), stepmama to Addie(14) wife to Alec
#70 of 73 Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 AM

mami to 3 - welcome!.. I just noticed your stepdaughters name is the same as mine

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#71 of 73 Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami to 3 :) View Post
I was born in Spain but I was raised in Norway, I don't consider myself Norwegian but Scandinavian. I can live in any country there and feel at home. My dad is half Spaniard half Dane and my mom is an Icelander.
We travel and move a lot. So far we've lived in Australia, Spain, Canada, US, and we're moving to Denmark next year. My DH is French American.
We lived in Australia and then Spain before getting married, we didn't had the girls but just Addie. It's complicated. Then the girls were born in Canada and my son here in the US.

So far, if I could I would live anywhere BUT here, not that I have anything against the US. But I find it boring, and it's definately were we live in. I like big cities. I was raised in Oslo, then I was sent to a boarding school in OZ. I've lived in Madrid, Sydney, Vancouver and now living in Gillette WY is definately something I was not ready for.
Copenhagen is waiting for me, it would be like going back home. And it will be nice to raise my children there, I can't wait. After that I'm convincing my DH about settling in Iceland, even though he says it's too far away from everything.
Talardu islensku? Vid buum a islandi.

My baby is 2 years old! How did that happen?!
#72 of 73 Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM

I grew up in the US & lived there until my mid-20s. I have dual nationality now, after living in Australia for 11 years, & culturally my kids are well & truly Australian. We talk with my family on Skype & visit them every few years, but my kids find the US to be a cultural experience that is very different to their usual reality. They have US passports, but i can't imagine either one of them wanting to live there one day.

There are some aspects of US culture that we celebrate/recognise- we do Thanksgiving every year with other Aus-American families, & we have a big Halloween party every year for all of our friends (but no trick or treating in the neighbourhood). But that's about it. At Christmas we try to make Christmas cookies, but it's so damn hot the dough melts before you can get the sugar cookies cut out.

I've slowly become used to Australian cultural traditions. For me, now, it just doesn't seem like Christmas unless we go for a swim at the beach in the morning & have cold seafood for Christmas lunch. Paul Kelly's 'How To Make Gravy' playing on the stereo makes it just about perfect. Who needs snow?

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#73 of 73 Old 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Oh, am I glad to find this thread! I'm one who really isn't 'from' anywhere but is homesick nonetheless. I have an American Dad who has spent most of his adult life abroad and an English Mum who spent most of HER whole life abroad, too. I was born in the US, but lived in Sweden and Belgium, attending British schools, before moving to the US in high school (my parents seemed to think this is where we ought to be for that???). Lived in S'pore for a bit, too. In the States, I've lived in Philadelphia, San Francisco, Kansas, Vermont and Massachusetts. When people ask me where I grew up, I usually say Belgium because that's where I spent the most time in my childhood.

I now live outside Boston with my very local DH. I had a home base near here growing up; my Dad's family has summer houses near here on the shore, so I spent most of my summers with my American cousins there.....very wierdly, we discovered on our second date that DH is a classmate of my oldest cousin. I think that I was very attracted to someone who had a hometown and could run into people he'd known all his life in the supermarket....very strange to me!

What I am 'homesick' for, if you can call it that, is a feeling of Global citizenship that I had my whole life before getting married. DH had only even left the country like once or twice before I took him to London to meet Dad and my Mum's family. Now that we have kids, he just assumes that we'll live here forever. Money is tight and I haven't been 'home' to visit family and school friends in the UK for three years, and I've never even seen the house in the South of France that Dad has retired to.

So I guess i feel like a cultural stranger in my own marriage. My kids have only ever lived in one state. They've only been to Europe once. I really miss feeling that the next adventure is just around the corner. I really really regret that my children won't have the advantages that I had of feeling secure and confident pretty much anywhere...of the curiosity that novelty breeds. Part of this is just how different our families are, too (I mean DH and I). When we lived in Belgium, we spent the winter skiiing in Switzerland and Austria, the summer exploring all the cities and counrties in driving distance. When we lived in Singapore, we spent New Year's in Bali. When we lived in Sweden, we watched the Northern Lights and learned to cross-country ski to school. We traveled lots...home to both families and just out of curiosity. DH hadn't even seen touristy things around the Boston area when I met him!

You know, I even miss stupid things like that particular 'nowhere' feel of airports.

One of the best things my parents did was to integrate traditions into our year from everywhere that we lived and I still do this with my kids; we just had a banquet to celebrate Lunar New Year. I just wish we could move somewhere new again. We are thinking of starting a travel business with my Dad (he's bored out of his mind with retirement!) and moving to France for part of each year. That would be a great compromise if we ever do manage to do it.

So envious of those of you in Europe! I miss it so much. I miss making plans to see school friends (who are everywherwe from Dubai to Bangkok to Paris to Chester). We just don't have the same lifestyle I grew up with and that would be totally foreign to DH anyway....I don't think he really gets how differently I grew up and how much I miss feeling connected with the community that we managed to cobble together around us as a family. My parents really did a great job making us feel like we had our own 'home' no matter where we lived.

Wow. Now I'm teary! Going to call Dad and my favourite Aunt in England!

PS...One complaint about the childhood. My spelling is ATROCIOUS! Everything I learned (learnt) to spell before the age of 15 I spell like a Brit. Everything after I spell like a Yank. I'm 'haff-n-hahf'.

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page