spanish/english/french input - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are a trilingual family in the sense that the first language of my MIL is french (-canadian) and the first language of my father is spanish. I really like to give a name to the newest addition that is well pronouced/read in all three languages.

So I really like the name Michael - but I am not a big fan of Miguel. I would be open to a different spelling of Michael. I looked it up and there are tons of different spellings. Any thoughts on what might be the most easily read and pronounced in both of the other languages?

http://www.behindthename.com/php/ext...hael&submit=Go

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 PM

hmm
mateo
diego
thats all i can think off of the top of my head..

oh sorry-i didnt really get that you were looking for variations on michael..
i'd say mikel or mikael- the ch will throw off both spanish and french. to preserve the same pronunciation in all 3 languages you'd have to pronounce it mee-kel or mee-kay-EL

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I speak spanish, but not french - and I knew the ch would be wierd in spanish too. I had no idea there were so many variations on the name michael!

PS my other son is Gabriel - I love how easy it flows in conversation in any language.

A PhD = + +
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM

I'll go for Mikel becuase Micheal will sound like "Michelle" which is a girl's name...

Mami to Catalina (9/31/04), Santiago due Jan '10, wife to Edgar:
Old 09-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signingmamma View Post
I'll go for Mikel becuase Micheal will sound like "Michelle" which is a girl's name...
in english and spanish yes, but not in french! oh the concerns of the (potentially) tri-lingual!

Carita: "Thanks - I speak spanish, but not french - and I knew the ch would be wierd in spanish too."

: i don't speak french anymore, but i used to and i still remember most of the pronunciation!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 AM
~pi

The French version of Michael is Michel (MEEshel.)

I understand where you are coming from, but just to offer a counterpoint: unless you (a) are anticipating living in a trilingual community and (b) really have a problem with names being mispronounced, there is no need to worry about finding a name that works perfectly in all languages. Of course it's nice when it works out, but if you love a name, you can just work with it.

My name is virtually impossible to say in Spanish, but when I lived in South America, everyone managed. My DS' name is a Scottish family name; I (French-speaking with DS) and everyone in our French community handle it just fine. (Most people just say it with a bit of an accent.) I will also point out that Quebecois and Acadians are very familiar with Anglo names, so I really would not worry about your MIL. Michael is a common name -- I would be shocked if she couldn't pronounce it.

FWIW, when fed Michael, Nymbler suggests a few names that work in all three languages: Simon, Thomas, Daniel, Ivan, Nathaniel, Mattias (? not sure how those last two would work in Spanish.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 AM

I live in Puerto Rico, and lots of boys are named Michael, and no one has a problem pronouncing it.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 AM

I live in France and I've known a couple of Michaels, spelled with CH, pronounced Mee-kay-el.

And I can TOTALLY relate to the struggles of finding names that work in 3 languages. We have that situation. Let's just say it'll be a miracle if baby number two has a name by the time we come home from the hospital....!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM

People will always find a way to mispronounce it!
I named my son Liam, so it would be easy for my German speaking relatives to pronounce, simply the way they read it. Well, they all tried to anglicize it, and thought it was pronounced "Lie-am".
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

I admit I won't speak French much at home as DH isn't fluent even when his mother is. But Micheal breaks the flow of speaking spanish. If I am speaking spanish, i never pronounce my other sons name in the english way, but in the spanish way - the bonus is just that they are spelled the same way (my other son is Gabriel). So I expect if I am speaking spanish a name like Mikel I will jst say Meekail, and in english Micheal. So I don't need the prounounciation to be exactly the same, but I guess I just like that Mikel could camoflauge ethnicity more than Micheal.

This goes deeper than language for me, and probably is a reflection that desptie being Latina, I don't look latina and my married name is very Anglicized, and so I want my son to have a name that could be either french or spanish so he never feels disconnected from his hertitage like I do. I will have to give it more thought I guess if Michael is becoming more mainstream in spanish and french languages...

A PhD = + +
Old 09-22-2009, 12:32 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. Did you want a name that would be pronounced (nearly) the same by all three origins? (Like "Keegan"); or were you looking for one that was good in all three languages, like Alexander/Alexandre/Alejandro...?

You should know that "Michael" will occasionally get pronounced "Mee-shell" by some French folks; and "Mee-gehl" by some Spanish folks.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I just wanted something nearly the same. I was hoping Mikel would cause less different pronounciations than Michael.

Sorry if the pregnant woman is babbling now

A PhD = + +
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 AM

What about Sebastien/Sebastian?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM

How about Thomas/Tom, Alex, Alec?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Ooooh, Thomas is a nice one.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

User Tag List