#1 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know. I thought I had seen them all, but that doesn't sound like something I've seen before.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#3 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but your description sorta sounds like a gas mask or air filter/respirator. Was it pretty or utilitarian? Was it attached to the head covering or separate?

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM

I have to agree it does sound like a respitory devise. With your describtion my first thought was gas mask. But I could see it also be someone unknown medical devise.
#5 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM

This thread probably won't be helpful to you since it was never really resolved as to what, exactly, was being spoken of, but it sounds like you might be talking about the same thing as here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=963110
#6 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Good luck figuring it out. There was another thread very similar to this awhile back. It sounds similar to the one described there if I remember right. No one was able to figure it out on that one.

ETA: The poster above me found it for you.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#7 of 16 Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe it's a variation of a face mask for practical purposes, like preventing (or more like reducing) transmission of illness- like flu, colds, etc.?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 AM

I've seen it. It's not for illness, in my experience. It's for women who believe that they should not be identified, and that the eyes are an identifying feature, OR who believe that eyes are enough to tempt a man.

I saw it only in countries where women had the choice to cover or not to cover, never once in countries where they had a legal dress code.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#9 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Dar

Are you sure they were North African? Might they have been Beduoin? Like these women (scroll down to the middle)?

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#10 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 AM

That's not the thing I saw women wearing. What I saw was distinctly modern and definitely did not show the eyes from a face-to-face angle.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#11 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM

I wonder if in the other thread they were talking about this?

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#12 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Are you sure they were North African? Might they have been Beduoin? Like these women (scroll down to the middle)?
OT, but there are Bedouin in North Africa.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#13 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

#14 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
OT, but there are Bedouin in North Africa.
Yeah, I changed Omani to Bedouin and then didn't change the rest of the sentence....

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#15 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoestoShow View Post
Thanks, everyone!

I looked through the previous thread someone posted to, and this is it! Except the one this woman was wearing jutted a little further from her face and was had a smaller mouth covering that, from a distance, looked like a mustache to my untrained eye. And I think it may have been all metal or plastic instead of cloth in her case, but this is the essence of it! Most definitely! Does anyone know what it's called and if it's worn for more religious or cultural reasons (and on that score, in what cultures?)? I've found it a really interesting type of covering, and I am so curious to learn more about it!

I'm pretty positive the women were North African --- but I very well could be mistaken on that score. I admit I'm not always the best at telling that by appearance alone (who is?), and I didn't hear them speak, which I may have gleaned a bit more from (I am pretty good at narrowing down location by language types, though I'm not an expert either).
Oh ... a birqa. Like, an actual birqa, not the famous Afghani full body covering. It's sort of religious, sort of cultural ... more religious in reason, purely cultural in style. It's an old Gulf Bedouin tradition ... I know it mostly as being from Oman, but it does exist in other areas in the region, I just don't know how far it travels. Like a lot of old traditions, it's often more popular with older women than younger. Some are quite large, covering all or almost all of the face, and some are quite delicate with just very thin pieces over the brow and mouth, as you said. It probably really was fabric, but they are stiff-ish and are often burnished or coated to look metallic.

ETA: Here's an article for you, with video of birqa makers. http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...9940/1342/NEWS
#16 of 16 Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page