please help, dont judge. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so here is the deal,
Im not sure if my baby is either mixed with asian or black.
Big mistake on my part , now its driving me crazy because i dont see either in her, and they are both dominant over white.
The only thing is the Asian boy was on my period, and i know that its very unlikely (but still possible) to get pregnant on your period. My cycle was 26 days. My daughter doesnt have dark ears, a dark private part, or mongolian spots. The skin above her nails, however, is darker than the rest of her. Its very noticeable.

For mothers of biracial babys mixed with black/white, Have any of you had a mixed baby with light brown hair, blue eyes? My family says this is NOT possible, that biracial babys are dark, and okay obviously most of them i see are, but i have seen some pretty light mixed babies. Did you go by the nails or ears, and did you baby have mongolian spots?

Do ALL biracial babies have mongolian spots?

I just watch Jon&Kate, their babys are 1/4 korean and they look Korean, my daughter doesnt look korean, but she also doesnt look black.

Im white, I think she resembles me.
The black guy is light, and his father is light.
The asian is 1/2 white, 1/2 korean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 PM

I certainly know a mixed-race girl with blue eyes. I would suggest if you want to know who your baby's father is, no matter what races the contenders might be, a DNA test is the only way to be sure.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 PM

I agree with GoBecGo, a DNA test is probably your best bet. Both of my half-asian children have light brown hair, dark eyes and mongolian marks, but neither of them looks as Asian as the Gosselin kids. My youngest is nearly as fair as I am and I'm mostly Irish. Given the fact that both fathers are probably mixed, the child could be pretty much any combination. However, the fact that she doesn't have any mongolian marks lends me to think she belongs to the African American man. That being said, my nephew is blond haired, blue eyed, fair skinned, looks as caucasian as Swede and is 1/4 black. People are shocked when they meet his grandfather. So, again, go with the DNA test.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 PM

First, I have a friend whos mixed race (black/white) son has light blonde hair, light blue eyes. This is confirmed by DNA test because everyone thought he was a white guys. There wasn't a question until they did the test for support because of his looks.
That is absolutely possible!

No, no spots. He looks like a tanned totally white kid would and gets a darker tan in the summer.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM

I have a biracial kid with blue eyes and blond hair. Only one of my kids had Mongolian spots.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 PM

Oh yeah it's totally possible for a half black baby to have blond hair and blue eyes. Her hair and eyes may change color and darken still also, that's not uncommon. My baby (1/4 black) didn't have mongolian spots, not all dark skinned babies do, just some. My son looks pretty white but he has darker nipples and genitals, white babies tend to be pink but his are more tan colored. I'd say with a light skinned African American father and a white mother it could be pretty hard to tell BUT if the Asian man was only half Korean that could be pretty well hidden too.
How was your cycle 26 days (if you were pregnant it wouldn't end)? You mean the cycle before you found out you were pregnant? How long was your period and what day did you have sex with him?
Only DNA can tell you for sure and that's a whole big decision that you need to make about how involved you want the guy to be.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 AM

Totally possible either way honestly. As others have said, her hair/eyes/skin may get darker over time, but maybe not. Genetics are a tricky business. My brother had blond hair as a baby/toddler and my mother is a rather dark-skinned AA woman, my father a freckly red-headed Caucasian man. I was fair enough as a newborn that the hospital actually tried to give my mother another baby. Now I'm pretty ambiguously brown, my features don't betray any particular ethnicity apparently.

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
Old 10-21-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
Oh yeah it's totally possible for a half black baby to have blond hair and blue eyes. Her hair and eyes may change color and darken still also, that's not uncommon. My baby (1/4 black) didn't have mongolian spots, not all dark skinned babies do, just some. My son looks pretty white but he has darker nipples and genitals, white babies tend to be pink but his are more tan colored. I'd say with a light skinned African American father and a white mother it could be pretty hard to tell BUT if the Asian man was only half Korean that could be pretty well hidden too.
How was your cycle 26 days (if you were pregnant it wouldn't end)? You mean the cycle before you found out you were pregnant? How long was your period and what day did you have sex with him?
Only DNA can tell you for sure and that's a whole big decision that you need to make about how involved you want the guy to be.

Yes, the cycle before i got pregnant.
July 11, 2008 and then again on August 6, 2008.
I had sex with the Asian on the 8th or 9th of August.
I had sex with the black guy (my boyfriend now) August 14th + everyday after that. I took a pregnacy test about two and half weeks after my period, it was negative. Then after i missed my period in September it was positive.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM

It sounds to me like your current bf is probably the father. If you'd been with the other man later in your cycle then it could be more likely that you conceived with him but two to three days into your cycle is really early to ovulate and you were with your bf at the exact time that normal ovulation would've occurred.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 10-21-2009, 02:10 PM

I have a coworker that is 50/50 Japanese and White American. Even though she had a Japanese name I did not realize she was 50/50.....We had an OH WOW momment when she looked at my niece and nephew photos. She realized then why I did not recognize her ethnicity--she looks white to me. Other people she looks Asian but since I was comparing her to my niece and nephew that have very dominate Asian make up. One had a mongolian spot at birth the other didn't....don't remember which one it was though.

DNA will only be the way to solve it.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM

both my dds are half peruvian (mostly indigenous blood) and both have mongolian spots, one is lighter skin like me and the other is a little browner. both with brown hair and black eyes.
my neice is 1/4 japanese 3/4 generic white american and she has blue eyes and blond hair and very fair skin.

my friend is half black and is tan with curly (but not kinky) hair, her hair is lighter than mine.

it is totally possible to have blue eyes even when both parents are black (as many AA have some white in them thanks to slavery).
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It sounds to me like your current bf is probably the father. If you'd been with the other man later in your cycle then it could be more likely that you conceived with him but two to three days into your cycle is really early to ovulate and you were with your bf at the exact time that normal ovulation would've occurred.
This.
It is the most probable that your bf is the bio dad with that info.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel_eva View Post
it is totally possible to have blue eyes even when both parents are black (as many AA have some white in them thanks to slavery).
Yep. There's a whole branch of my family tree with raven hair and blue eyes. They look "black Irish." Funny, b/c they're just "black." Then there are the occasional redheads . . . just to liven things up!

Another factor to confuse things even more -- like me, some AAs have features that look a bit Asian. I constantly am asked "what I'm mixed with" because of the shape of my eyes. That's another branch of my wacky family tree.

Here's an AA mom (me) and her biracial child (N. Euopean blue eyed father).

In sum, the sky's the limit. Genetics are funny that way.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Fay

I think your current bf is the father, but anything is possible with children of mixed race. My DH is Asian, and our DS2 has dark red hair from my side of the family. Our DS1 has brown hair/brown eyes, but does not look Asian. Neither of my children ever had Mongolian spots, not even a trace, but their 100% Asian cousins all had Mongolian spots. I also have a friend with 3 red-haired, green-eyed kids who have an Asian grandparent.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Really only a DNA test can tell for sure.

My mom is half asian / half white - no mongolian spot
I'm 1/4 white 3/4 asian - no mongolian spot
My daughter - her father is 100% white blond hair/blue eyes but she has red brown hair, brown eyes and no mongolian spot. So not all asians have mongolian spots.

A friend's daughter half asian / half white - she has a mongolian spot and she had blue eyes up until she was about 4 years old and then they changed to hazel. Her brother had brown eyes and mongolian spot.

Another friend's daughter half black / half white - blue eyes and light brown skin.

Barbamama said it, the sky really is the limit when it comes to genetics
Old 10-24-2009, 08:20 PM

My DS is biracial(I am white, dad is black) and has light brown hair and blue eyes. This is him as a baby....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95...in10months.jpg

And here is one of his bio dad and him now and his baby sister with another white woman.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95...tyandlayla.jpg

So, yes, your baby could be half black. Biracial kids get darker as they get older.

Marsha
Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM

from a genetics point of view, since blue eyes are recessive, a baby with one white and one non white parent is very unlikely to have blue eyes. However, since African Americans tend to be genetically quite mixed, it is quite possible for a "black" parent to carry some recessive white genes, resulting in a baby with light coloured eyes. Asians in America are less likely to be (unknowingly) mixed race.

nothing more to say I guess :
Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbaby1788 View Post
For mothers of biracial babys mixed with black/white, Have any of you had a mixed baby with light brown hair, blue eyes? My family says this is NOT possible, that biracial babys are dark, and okay obviously most of them i see are, but i have seen some pretty light mixed babies. Did you go by the nails or ears, and did you baby have mongolian spots? .
when you are mixing races the child can favor the lightest complexion of family A to the darkest member of family B or a mix in the middle. you never know what you will get. a child will change and can darken as they get older or lighten. the only way to know is having one of the men take a dna test.

Quote:
Do ALL biracial babies have mongolian spots?.
no

Quote:
yes mixed black guy and a white girl can make a very very light child. i have known a few who you would never even think they have one drop of black in them.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
from a genetics point of view, since blue eyes are recessive, a baby with one white and one non white parent is very unlikely to have blue eyes. However, since African Americans tend to be genetically quite mixed, it is quite possible for a "black" parent to carry some recessive white genes, resulting in a baby with light coloured eyes. Asians in America are less likely to be (unknowingly) mixed race.
Blue eyes can also skip several generations without anyone showing up with them. Noone in my ex's immediate family has blue eyes, but both his kids do. He also has several siblings with biracial kids and they all are much darker than my ex's two kids, even though he and all his siblings are the same complexion. Genetics are just weird.

Marsha
Old 10-25-2009, 12:49 PM

Just saying that I had two babies with my Hispanic DH. He is adopted and although we met his bio mom (who is very dark Hispanic) we don't know who his father was. His mom said he was Hispanic and Portuguese mixed but we've never seen him. DH has black hair, dark brown eyes, darkish skin. I am Eurasian with VERY white skin and blue eyes.

DS looks like DH with the facial features but my light coloring and general body shape. He had Mongolian spots. ETA: His "privates" and nipples are not dark at all - but then again neither are DH's. (Sorry if that's TMI but it was being discussed in the thread!)

DD looks VERY Hispanic in her facial features, has darkish skin, has a squat and round little solid body, NO hair even at 2 except a few strands which are super super super fine and look golden. She has bushy eyebrows but next to no hair - we're hoping this is an ugly duckling stage, she's adorable but certainly no baby beauty queen. She looks absolutely NOTHING like me, in facial features, coloring, hair, body type, anything. She doesn't have anything that connects her to me visibly, if you put us in a lineup there is no way you could ever tell I was her mama. (Ironically she's a total mama's girl. Go figure.) Her eyes, though, while shaped like DH's (very distinctive, almond shaped) are light blue.

So... there you have it. Genetics can do odd stuff!

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 PM

I have 3 b/w biracial kids and 2 of them have mongolian spots, not sure about the youngest (I forget lol). My youngest has sandy blond hair and is pretty much as pale as me and I'm 75% Irish. None look particularly AA, they look racially ambiguous and I have had people ask if they are Hispanic, Filipino, Brazilian, etc.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Okay so here is the deal,
Im not sure if my baby is either mixed with asian or black.
Big mistake on my part , now its driving me crazy because i dont see either in her, and they are both dominant over white.
The only thing is the Asian boy was on my period, and i know that its very unlikely (but still possible) to get pregnant on your period. My cycle was 26 days. My daughter doesnt have dark ears, a dark private part, or mongolian spots. The skin above her nails, however, is darker than the rest of her. Its very noticeable.

For mothers of biracial babys mixed with black/white, Have any of you had a mixed baby with light brown hair, blue eyes? My family says this is NOT possible, that biracial babys are dark, and okay obviously most of them i see are, but i have seen some pretty light mixed babies. Did you go by the nails or ears, and did you baby have mongolian spots?

Do ALL biracial babies have mongolian spots?

I just watch Jon&Kate, their babys are 1/4 korean and they look Korean, my daughter doesnt look korean, but she also doesnt look black.

I hate to sound mean, but your family needs a lesson in genetics. If the person you were with who is black has any slave ancestry, there is a good chance he is not 100% black and sometimes recessive genes can be overwhelming. My brother has green eyes and was born a blond with light skin and my parents are medium complected with black hair and brown eyes like me and we have the same parents. So yes it is possible for a half black baby to have blue eyes, my great grandmother had blue eyes and for all intensive purposes looked white, but was considered black.

Just FYI- There is no black "look" miscegenation got rid of that "look" a long time ago. I know dark skinned biracial people and light skinned black people. I know black people who don't look black and biracial people who if no one said anything I would have no clue they were other than black.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM

what are mongolian spots? I'm black and have never ever in my life heard this term.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
When black people have babies, skin color of the parents can be irrelevant, recessive genes erases all of that. Dark skinned people have light skinned babies all the time with other dark skinned people and two light skinned black people can have a dark skinned baby. The baby could have a dark skinned father and still come out looking almost white.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbamama View Post
Yep. There's a whole branch of my family tree with raven hair and blue eyes. They look "black Irish." Funny, b/c they're just "black." Then there are the occasional redheads . . . just to liven things up!

Another factor to confuse things even more -- like me, some AAs have features that look a bit Asian. I constantly am asked "what I'm mixed with" because of the shape of my eyes. That's another branch of my wacky family tree.

Here's an AA mom (me) and her biracial child (N. Euopean blue eyed father).

In sum, the sky's the limit. Genetics are funny that way.
Yes the skin tone or even hair tone of the father can be completely irrelevant in how the child comes out. You have to look at the whole family, otherwise folks will get confused.

People assume I am mixed because I don't have "kinky" hair and it is waist length (no relaxer, no weave, just curly). They also assume I am mixed because of my eyes, they look asian or native american. When I flat iron my hair people assume Indian (asian) because I guess I look like a dark skinned Indian.

My dad was born a red head, but now his hair is dark and he is dark skinned.

I am part native american, but that is a couple of generations back, like everything else in my family and I like to say all the mixture reversed itself back to black.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joates View Post
what are mongolian spots? I'm black and have never ever in my life heard this term.
Joates,

Mongolian spots are dark markings that some babies get on their rear end. They usually go away by the kids second birthday. They are common amongst children of Asian, Latino, and American Indian ancestry as they are a trait that has been passed down by the Mongolian people. I have never heard of black people, except those with native american blood, having Mongolian marks, but I don't know a whole lot of African American children either.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Hungarian too, because apparently Hungarians originated in Asia right around Mongolia. WAAAY back when. You'd think it'd be all gone from the genes by now but apparently it still happens.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi526 View Post
Joates,

Mongolian spots are dark markings that some babies get on their rear end. They usually go away by the kids second birthday. They are common amongst children of Asian, Latino, and American Indian ancestry as they are a trait that has been passed down by the Mongolian people. I have never heard of black people, except those with native american blood, having Mongolian marks, but I don't know a whole lot of African American children either.
My son is half black and has a mongolian spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_spot

"A Mongolian spot (also called a Mongolian fleck, Mongolian blue spot or congenital dermal melanocytosis) is a benign flat congenital birthmark with wavy borders and irregular shape, most common among East Asians and named after Mongolians. It is also extremely prevalent among East Africans, Polynesians, and Native Americans.[1][2] It normally disappears three to five years after birth and almost always by puberty.[3] The most common color is blue, although they can be blue-gray, blue-black or even deep brown."

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi526 View Post
Joates,

Thank you, I was confused for a second
Old 11-01-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joates View Post
I hate to sound mean, but your family needs a lesson in genetics. If the person you were with who is black has any slave ancestry, there is a good chance he is not 100% black and sometimes recessive genes can be overwhelming.
Not to mention that the OP's "Asian boy" is only half Asian.

My sibs and I are 1/2 Asian, 1/2 white. I married an Asian man, and my sister married a brown haired, brown eyed Caucasian.

My kids are all brown haired and brown eyed. My sister (whose coloring is quite similar to mine... brown hair and hazel eyes), has little boys who are red heads with blue or gray eyes. When we were newborns, this sister and I were both blonde with blue eyes.

There are a lot of red-heads and blondes on my dad's side of the family. Dad's a red-head, his sister is a red-head, and my grandfather was a redhead. My grandmother was blonde, and all have blue eyes.

User Tag List