Caucasian Moms with Asian husbands - Mothering Forums

Caucasian Moms with Asian husbands

ruthlili's Avatar ruthlili (TS)
03:23 AM Liked: 0
#1 of 40
10-24-2009 | Posts: 1
Hey mommas! Anyone out there a caucasian momma with an asian husband and beautiful eurasian babies??

I'm married to a Chinese man and we have 1 baby boy, Jasper, who was born 16 October 2008. Planning for more if I ever start ovulating again Looking for other moms who can relate

About us -- we live in Singapore right now, but twice a year spend roughly a month in the states visiting our families in Columbus, OH and Houston, TX. I've been very slowly picking up Mandarin for the past few years since we were married. We really want our kids to be bilingual and get the best of being both races. I'm also really big on breastfeeding and am publications editor for the Breastfeeding Mothers' Support Group (Singapore).
Theoretica's Avatar Theoretica
03:35 AM Liked: 18
#2 of 40
10-24-2009 | Posts: 3,663
Welcome to MDC!

There's a multicultural mamas forum...I'll go find the link

Anywhoo we're a Eurasian family too...DH is from South Korea and I'm just from the South

Our kids love grits, biscuits and gravy, kimchi, and chapjae!!

Welcome aboard!

~Theoretica

ETA: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=438

There ya go!
almadianna's Avatar almadianna
01:27 PM Liked: 79
#3 of 40
10-27-2009 | Posts: 5,872
i have moved this to the multicultural families forum.
Anastasiya's Avatar Anastasiya
02:20 PM Liked: 31
#4 of 40
10-27-2009 | Posts: 1,485
My sis (Caucasian) is married to a guy who's 1/2 Vietnamese and I think their kids are beautiful!
mtrand2's Avatar mtrand2
02:54 PM Liked: 0
#5 of 40
10-27-2009 | Posts: 16
Hi!

I'm caucasian (Italian) and my husband is 1/2 Filipino and 1/2 Italian. We joke that we are 1/2 interracial and 1/2 exactly the same!

Nobody can figure out his heritage! Our 3 daughters have lovely tan skin, black eyes, and medium brown curly hair! I love mixed babies - so beautiful

I love when we hang out with my MIL - she makes us lots of great stuff and it's interesting to learn about her life when she was a kid. I also love for the kids (and me) to learn some phrases. My kids love their pancit and lasagna!
GoGoGirl's Avatar GoGoGirl
01:36 AM Liked: 41
#6 of 40
10-28-2009 | Posts: 685
Yep, we're an Asian and white family, too. I'm Irish and German, and DH is Kazakh and Tatar. We say that DD is Irizakh

OP, good for you for learning Mandarin! My ILs are always encouraging me to learn Russian (their family's language) but I just find it too hard.
thelocaldialect's Avatar thelocaldialect
08:14 AM Liked: 12
#7 of 40
10-28-2009 | Posts: 187
I'm a white American married to a Chinese man too. We live in Beijing now but my husband is from Yunnan and my son was born there, in Kunming. My husband and I speak Mandarin to each other since his English is abysmal. We're trying to raise our son with English as well as Chinese, but with Chinese being the common language between DH and I, as well as the majority language here, it has been a bit of a struggle.

Always nice to meet someone in a similar situation! If you check out my blog (the link is in my profile) you can see some pictures of our son. He's got light brown/dark blonde hair, but otherwise I think he looks a lot like my husband.
witchypants's Avatar witchypants
07:17 PM Liked: 11
#8 of 40
10-28-2009 | Posts: 297
I'm white and my husband is Filipino. He was born in Manila but raised in the states. We're ttc#1 right now and looking forward to having some beautiful euroasian babies!!!
snguyen's Avatar snguyen
07:43 PM Liked: 14
#9 of 40
10-28-2009 | Posts: 176
I'm your typical 5th-generation Minnesotan (German and Swedish) married to a now very Americanized Vietnamese who came here as a refugee when he was 10. We have a three year old daughter who is quite the Mini-Me in oh so many ways, and are expecting #2 next June.

I pretty much have to accept that our kids won't speak any Vietnamese as my husband completely quit speaking it after coming to America, and all the Vietnamese relatives are down in Texas. Our best bet is that she'll pick up Spanish or Chinese in school when she's older. I'm placing my bets on those two because I was a Spanish teacher before she was born, plus she's a Dora and Kai-Lan fan.
Franci's Avatar Franci
10:16 PM Liked: 0
#10 of 40
10-28-2009 | Posts: 54
I'm Italian and my husband is Chinese from Shanghai. He moved with the family to the US when he was 10. We have a 28 months old boy, Valerio. And we are in the middle of another moving from London, where our boy was born, to Monaco. So hopefully he will be speaking Italian/Mandarin/French/English.
We are having some issue with Mandarin, because my husband doesn't spend too much time at home.
WC_hapamama's Avatar WC_hapamama
03:33 PM Liked: 13
#11 of 40
11-01-2009 | Posts: 1,604
I'm half Caucasian, half Japanese (4th generation here in the US), married to a 4th generation Japanese-American.

You would think that my being half Caucasian isn't a big deal, but when it comes to dealing with my MIL, it is. My IL's are more "old country" than Mom's family is, and heck, my grandmother was born and raised in Japan. Let's just say that it makes for some interesting cultural conflicts.
belltree's Avatar belltree
01:29 PM Liked: 768
#12 of 40
11-03-2009 | Posts: 1,319
We are another caucasian- asian family: dh is asian, me european and the little guy is american. we try to visit our families regularly, but don't manage as much as we wish.
mambera's Avatar mambera
06:49 PM Liked: 109
#13 of 40
11-03-2009 | Posts: 1,297
*raises hand*

I'm European-American (bilingual) and DH is South Asian (trilingual). Our 'beautiful eurasian' LO (heh) doesn't speak anything yet (she's 5 months old) but is hearing a little bit of everything right now!

I'm working on learning Hindi, partly to improve communication with my MIL (whose English is limited) and partly to make it easier for him to teach it to DD.

DH hasn't made any steps towards learning my language but I am not putting pressure on him about it. I do try to speak my language to our LO though.
ammcmaho's Avatar ammcmaho
03:48 PM Liked: 0
#14 of 40
11-04-2009 | Posts: 33
i'm white american and DH is from india. we have one 20 month old and a second baby on the way.
Fay's Avatar Fay
06:50 PM Liked: 24
#15 of 40
11-04-2009 | Posts: 1,715
I'm a white American married to a man who was born in Taiwan. We live in the USA. He is fully Americanized, no longer speaks his native language and insisted on English names for our 2 sons. I get along well with my in-laws, who also live in the USA and are in many ways still "old-country." My DH can't stand his parents. :
Thao's Avatar Thao
09:45 PM Liked: 11
#16 of 40
11-09-2009 | Posts: 2,094
*Raises hand* Me too!

Caucasian American of Anglo-Slavic stock married to a Vietnamese man with possible Chinese ancestry (although he refuses to admit it, LOL). Of course we think dd (9) is gorgeous!

I speak Vietnamese fluently but we both struggled with teaching it to dd. Neither of us were disciplined enough to make her speak it, and she is very strong-willed and decided as soon as she discovered that bugs bunny doesn't speak Vietnamese that she had no use for it . It finally took moving to Vietnam for two years and slapping her in an all-Vietnamese school (talk about immersion!) before she learned it. We are back in the US now but spend about a month and a half every year in Vietnam to keep her Vietnamese up. She's not fluent but has a pretty good grasp. She understands the value of having a second language much more now, particularly since she sees I make decent money as a translator!
Beppie's Avatar Beppie
01:20 AM Liked: 11
#17 of 40
11-10-2009 | Posts: 1,176
My SIL is Chinese, and my brother is caucasian... and their kids are beautiful!

Also, I am married to a man from India. I'm a little biased but I think our girls are rather pretty with their dark hair and dark eyes from daddy (I have blond hair and blue eyes).
ammcmaho's Avatar ammcmaho
10:06 PM Liked: 0
#18 of 40
11-17-2009 | Posts: 33
hi beppie! i'm due with #2 and wonder if my #2 will look like #1 at all
beautifulnm's Avatar beautifulnm
06:44 PM Liked: 41
#19 of 40
11-19-2009 | Posts: 657
I'm German and DH is Japanese.. I also want the baby to get the best of both worlds, actually I want to talk DH into going to Japan for a few years to let Sashi have a really good foundation in Japanese. . . Plus I really love Japan LOL.
mambera's Avatar mambera
08:12 PM Liked: 109
#20 of 40
11-19-2009 | Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammcmaho View Post
hi beppie! i'm due with #2 and wonder if my #2 will look like #1 at all
It's so interesting to see how the mixed kiddos turn out. I have a good friend whose parents are Indian/Caucasian, and she looks like any other Indian woman (you'd never guess her mom was white) but her bro looks like a total white guy. My DH's sister is also married to a Caucasian guy and both her kiddos look sort of unidentifiably biracial.

I think our LO looks sort of mixed as well but it's hard to tell with babies. Of course she is beautiful regardless.

There are lots of mixed couples where we live and when I was pregnant I was constantly looking at all the kiddos wondering about how ours was going to turn out!
beautifulnm's Avatar beautifulnm
11:37 PM Liked: 41
#21 of 40
11-19-2009 | Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambera View Post

There are lots of mixed couples where we live and when I was pregnant I was constantly looking at all the kiddos wondering about how ours was going to turn out!
This is me, all the time...
guestmama9972's Avatar guestmama9972
12:25 AM Liked: 0
#22 of 40
11-20-2009 | Posts: 574
I am Caucasian married to a Cambodian man. Our kids range from light skinned, like me, to tan, like Dad. I think they are exotic and lovely!

Totally biased, but I think bi-racial kids are some of the most beautiful human beings I've ever seen! I love it!
emmalizz's Avatar emmalizz
12:36 PM Liked: 13
#23 of 40
11-21-2009 | Posts: 504
Sharon, RN's Avatar Sharon, RN
11:59 PM Liked: 15
#24 of 40
11-21-2009 | Posts: 602
I'm white (some kind of European "mutt" hehe) and my DH is Chinese, but he was born here. He only speaks English.

We just had our baby boy in September . I think he looks like DH, DH thinks he looks like me... lol

Oh, and my DH is the only person I know who uses the word Caucasian. LOL
BabyWang2010's Avatar BabyWang2010
11:01 PM Liked: 0
#25 of 40
11-28-2009 | Posts: 59
I love this board. Many of the other boards I visited only had black/caucasian multi-racial couples chatting about there little ones. While I have nothing against this mix.....I feel that I cannot relate considering that I'm caucasian (American Mutt of mostly Irish and German descent) and my SO is Chinese (born in China moved here at the age of 7). Then I stumbled onto this bored and found many threads involving Asian/Caucasian unions. I was curious to see what my little one may look like and also the types of difficulties others face having IL's that are from an asian country. I love my boyfriend's mom and I'm going to meet his dad and many other Chinese relatives soon after the baby is born. We plan to speak Mandarin while in the house and english while in public in hopes that our little one will end up being fluent in both languages. I can't speak Mandarin right now but rosetta stone for Mandarin is on my baby registry so hopefully I'll get it....if not I'll buy it myself, lol.
Cherry_Milan's Avatar Cherry_Milan
07:50 PM Liked: 0
#26 of 40
01-07-2010 | Posts: 12
My husband is from Japan, born and raised. I am from Alaska and am Alaska Native, Yugolsavian, Mexican and white. Our son looks Japanese. I speak Japanese fluently and we are raising our son Bilingual, but since he is surrounded by English, I am very skepical if he will be bilingual.
Jenniferk's Avatar Jenniferk
11:21 PM Liked: 0
#27 of 40
01-07-2010 | Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlili View Post
I'm married to a Chinese man and we have 1 baby boy, Jasper, who was born 16 October 2008.
Hello - your post really threw me for a loop! I am caucasian (Czech and Slovenian heritage) and my husband is Asian (Chinese-American). Our son is also named Jasper but he was born 07/14/05...we call him our little Chinese Czecher.

We recently began TTC #2, and I am so eager to see how another baby will look!
Theoretica's Avatar Theoretica
12:33 AM Liked: 18
#28 of 40
01-08-2010 | Posts: 3,663
Chinese Czecher...

LOVE IT!
elleemme's Avatar elleemme
04:10 PM Liked: 0
#29 of 40
01-14-2010 | Posts: 23
I'm white, DH is Korean-American, and I'm currently gestating our first gorgeous eurasian baby.

I'm so excited to see what this baby will look like, and I have dreams about it all the time.

ETA: As for language, we both speak minimal Korean, so we'll just stick with exposing him to the food, since we both love that! And I'm sure MIL will speak Korean to him when she's around.
angelachristin's Avatar angelachristin
05:02 PM Liked: 12
#30 of 40
01-14-2010 | Posts: 885
I'm white (Irish and Italian) and DH is Filipino...we have a 3-year-old gorgeous boy who looks more like his daddy and a nearly 4 month old baby girl who looks a bit more like mommy. She still has blue eyes, too...we are wondering how long they will last! DS's eyes were that grayish blue when he was born but turned brown by the time he was a week old. DD's are now a bluish green. I have hazel green eyes with some brown around the pupil, and almost everyone in my family has blue eyes except for my mom. My DH and everyone in his family has brown. The funny thing about my eyes is that they were brown until I was like 20 years old and then they changed and got really green.

Reply Subscribe Multicultural Families