Another hair thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, here's the thing. I'm white (northern Asian heritage - not Western European) but I'm thinking of having my hair braided. I'm tired of having to spend two hours every time I want to style it, and then using all sorts of products and flatirons and blow driers and... yeah. When I get it done professionally they always tell me I have wild and crazy hair and always charge me double or triple because it takes that much more time and products. If I leave it natural, it's not "nappy" but it's... it's BIG. Like lion's mane sort of thing. Goes in all directions and looks so messy. I definitely can't leave it just like that.

I love the way it looks when it's braided into those million little braids. I don't know what they're called exactly. I know they do it a lot to the tourists in the Caribbean. That's where I had it done once when I was little and I've wanted to get it done since. When I was in college I got up the nerve to go to an ethnic hair shop in the city where I did a bad job explaining what I wanted and I got cornrows instead... it looked awful and I took it out as soon as I got home. I want to get it done again professionally; I can sort of braid my own hair but I can never get it to be very good. How often do you have to re-braid if you're getting it done pro? Does it totally ruin your hair to have them in long-term?

Also, my hair is pretty ruined from having colored it in the past. I haven't dyed it in a long time but the ends are awful - like straw. (The rest is OK though, healthy.) I'm going to have to get my hair trimmed up pretty far to find healthy ends. How long does your hair have to be to get it done?

Also... I'm embarrassed to even be asking this but would I stand out too much with braided hair and fair skin?

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page