Is anyone else a "purist" like this? (dolls and "correct" racial portrayal) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-01-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't know what else to call it.

I have discovered a new pet peeve: Dolls that are SUPPOSED to be "black" but they have STRAIGHT black hair.

I WILL NOT buy DD dolls like this. Am I being overreactive in not wanting to "feed" a desire to straighten hair? To appreciate her hair as it is?

Is anyone else like this?

But there are so few dolls with curls that I am considering buying and braiding before she sees them

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 17 Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This artist makes ethically diverse dolls with realistic features. Maybe you'll find something that you like: http://www.tabloach.com/index.html
#3 of 17 Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 PM

I have a son, so haven't bought all that many dolls but I agree with you 100%. I don't think the hair has to be "realistic", but it needs to not be the same hair you'd put on a white doll only black.

We only had 2 dolls that my son played with. One had a hat sewed to his head and no visible hair -- that was fine. The other was a "bath" doll so it had plastic hair molded to it's head.
#4 of 17 Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM

I was looking at an American Girls catalog (randomly sent to my house, I dont' know why since I don't have any DDs) and I noticed that all the dolls have the same molded face! The only difference is the skin/hair/eye color. That seemed a little odd to me.
#5 of 17 Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM

It is odd and it is quite unfortunate. I don't think you are wrong by any standard. It is also the same with Barbie, Baby Alive and the list goes on and on. It is a hard situation, but you aren't wrong for making the choice you have.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#6 of 17 Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm mostly anglo, and this still drives me up the wall. Some doll makers are clearly just trying to capture the market without REALLY looking at the people they're selling to.
IMO it's almost as bad as the old westerns where they painted up a white guy and dressed him in feathers... because of course it all just boils down to skin color, right?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#7 of 17 Old 11-04-2009, 01:22 PM

This is a pet peeve of mine. I remember when I was growing up having a brunette barbie was considered 'exotic' But, it was the closest thing they had to someone like me (I'm Irish-Korean btw).

Dd is 3 and she doesn't play with too many dolls per se (animals and dinosaurs abound). I did buy her a waldorf doll that was customizable. I choose hair color, hair texture, shape of eyes, skin color. I bought it from Joy's Waldorf, but I believe she is retiring. Here's the link though to give you an idea of what they look like: http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/wald...olls/index.htm
Waldorf dolls, by nature, have very abstract facial features which I thought worked well for my purposes. To be honest though, dd loves her generic vinyl baby doll much better.
#8 of 17 Old 11-10-2009, 02:54 AM

These dolls are difficult to get right now, but will resume availability after Christmas, and she has all sorts of fun and different hair textures (even on her white dolls).

http://bamboletta.com/
#9 of 17 Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM

I found a Haba doll for my DS that is medium brown with kind of dreadlocked looking hair. The doll's name is Yannik. I got it at a boutique here, but I'm sure it's available online somewhere.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#10 of 17 Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I made dolls for my kids that became favorites. They were each made from a different print fabric - one had a water pattern in green and blue, one was Hawaiian print flowers, and one was handwoven, Guatemalan cotton, kind of stripey. I mean the whole bodies and faces. So unrealistic that it avoids the whole question. In the 80's there weren't too many choices.

It has been 10 or 20 years since I thought of them - maybe I need to make some for the grandbabies!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#11 of 17 Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Heck, it always drove me nuts as a kid that all white baby dolls have blonde hair and blue eyes. I have brown/brown. You know how many people actually have naturally blond hair??? Not THAT many!

I had a similar problem finding a baby doll for our last fd. We didn't know her racial background, but curly hair VERY light brownish skin. I thought the Hispanic dolls would herald something good for us. NOPE. Apparently, to the toy manufacturers, brown Hispanic people just do not exist.

As for Asians, someone please tell me why the only American Girl doll who is Asian is a friend of one of the "main character" dolls??? WTH? And I LOVE AG stuff, this just chaps my buns.

Okay, sorry for the rant, esp as a wife and mother to two v white people who both have blond hair and blue eyes, but this is an issue that has ALWAYS ALWAYS bothered me, so I had to chime in!!!!!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#12 of 17 Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh trust me it annoys me too. not only that there is white or black.. not very many choces in complexions... all the white kids get white dolls. the black, mixed, asian kids all get ummm white dolls

if you want a nicely done doll that is other then "white" it costs more.
the new cabage patch babies are bald and have a "mixed/lighter" complexion.

atleast the old cabage patch kids are dark brown with dark brown wool hair. which my kids have thanks to me
my dd got given a black hand made doll with wool hair and cloth bows in it.
this is why my dd has barbies and a FEW bratz. barbie boy has really nappy hair and the bratz girls have very kinky hair.
#13 of 17 Old 12-25-2009, 01:10 AM

I guess that I am lucky I ended up with 3 boys, b/c this is a sore topic for me and quite honestly, this was probably why I hated dolls as a child, since there were none that looked like me. I'm Asian and my kids are 100% Asian as well. I cannot stand the Asian dolls that are out there. They are extremely unflattering for the most part, featuring dolls with very squinty eyes, wearing a very ethnic outfit and having very foreign sounding names. It just rubs me the wrong way that if there is an Asian doll, it immediately has to be a, "foreign" doll fitting all of the stereotypes that ppl in this country have about Asians. I've seen a few here and there that are not too bad, but most of them are just awful. I can totally understand the OP's frustration.
#14 of 17 Old 12-25-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
oh trust me it annoys me too. not only that there is white or black.. not very many choces in complexions... all the white kids get white dolls. the black, mixed, asian kids all get ummm white dolls

if you want a nicely done doll that is other then "white" it costs more.
the new cabage patch babies are bald and have a "mixed/lighter" complexion.

atleast the old cabage patch kids are dark brown with dark brown wool hair. which my kids have thanks to me
my dd got given a black hand made doll with wool hair and cloth bows in it.
this is why my dd has barbies and a FEW bratz. barbie boy has really nappy hair and the bratz girls have very kinky hair.
lol dd has a boy bald tan-skinned CPK baby. I *almost* got her a girl one too one time but she threw a fit in the store after I'd put it in the cart and I took it back out....I TOTALLY am PO'ed at myself now since I have not seen a SINGLE mixed-looking girl again......she even had a little curl! grrrrr

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#15 of 17 Old 12-25-2009, 10:42 AM

I found a very simple soft doll for my DS. The 2 choices were blond with blue eyes, and ummm... slightly darker with brown eyes. Well, we're white, but NOT that white. So luckily I could get him the "ethnic" doll. But I would really like the kids to have a wide variety of "friends" to play with, and the options are so limited. No wonder we all growing feeling like we have to "fit" a certain type. Have you ever seen a brown-eyed, medium complexion redhead doll?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#16 of 17 Old 12-25-2009, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. I had ONE redhead Barbie growing up and I'm almost certain she had green eyes. I remember having friends back when I was single who collected brown haired brown eyed dolls for their dd cause they were even hard to find.

Whatever happened to "My Child" I think they were called? I had one that looked like me--blue eyes, light brown/blond hair. They were soft skinned. As I remember, they had a variety of looks, the point was you could find one that "matched" your eye/hair color. I don't remember now though if they had multi-racial ones, we are talking 20-plus years ago?

#17 of 17 Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM

My friend and I were recently discussing this. We feel strongly against buying our daughters the classic blond doll that is everywhere!! We both want to strengthen them in their latina side and find beauty in their apperance with dark hair and dark eyes. Good for you in standing up for what you beleive in!!

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page