Help me learn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2009, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the ideas... I finished the project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 PM

I have some thoughts on your survey, and I hope that you don't take offense, as I can see that you are genuinely trying to learn about others and incorporate your learnings into being a better teacher. It is so hard to learn about this stuff - I too grew up in a very homogenoues, white, middle-class place and was not introduced to very much diversity until I was an adult. I've worked really hard to learn about anti-oppression, and about my privilege, and I think it's a really good framework for anyone going into education (I too have an M.A. in education)

Basically, I think the place to start is to learn about your own privilege. That is your responsibility and can't be 'taught' to you by 'minorities'. We are so lucky to have access to the internet, because it really lets us access a multitude of viewpoints - there are so many places to learn! Here are a few 'Privilege 101' type websites, some of them focus on White Privilege specifically, but it still applies to all kinds of privilege:
How privilege and bias works
Check my what?
A Primer on Privilege
White Privilege Shapes the U.S.
White Privilege
And a great video: Tim Wise: On White Privilege

One of the things that I've learned in my travels and my learning, is that is it not the responsibility of the marginized group to teach us privileged people about themselves. It is OUR responsibility to seek out reading, learning and discussion to educate ourselves. I realise that this is what you are trying to do, but I want to encourage you to push yourself to learn in a way that puts more onus on yourself. It takes more work on your part, something I'm sure you're not shy off, if you are doing your masters

Again, I really hope I'm not putting you on the defensive, as I don't think there's anything wrong with your actual survey questions and the wording,etc. MDC is such a giving community, I'm sure you may get people who have no issues filling it out for you, and you'll get some great info that way as well.

Here's a website that deals directly with anti-oppression and parenting. It's a great resource: Love Isn't Enough

All the best to you in your studies!

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
Old 11-07-2009, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the thoughtful response and resources, Mamakickypants. We've actually done quite a bit of study on White Privilege in this same course. I am interested to check out some of the links you provided as well!

I would never suggest that it is the "responsibility of the marginized group to teach us privileged people about themselves," but I do think that each person can learn something from another... If we are willing to share!

User Tag List