dollhouse families... - Mothering Forums

dollhouse families...

peaceful_mama's Avatar peaceful_mama (TS)
03:28 AM Liked: 151
#1 of 26
11-10-2009 | Posts: 4,940
Would you pay $100 bucks for one that actually looked like YOUR family??

I'm seriously considering it. That insert in my magazine this month had a dollhouse family--fabric dolls. I haven't checked the website, but it LOOKS like I could actually order each family member in whatever "color" I want! So I could order the 'black' (and actually a darker-skinned, really *does* look like our daddy ) dad, the 'white' mama, and 'tan' children!

I'm excited! it's the first family I've seen.

the downside? I'd spend over $100 bucks by the time it was through.

Anyone seen any other, maybe less expensive, options??

it does seem like the dolls I've seen come in sets--a daddy and a little boy, a mommy and a little girl. So of course they're both white, black, or whatever.

Why can't the doll people package them all separately for people like me?!

(dh also does not get why even for a second me, the world champion thrift-store shopping queen, would consider for even a nanosecond, spending $100 on DOLLS....)
weliveintheforest's Avatar weliveintheforest
03:39 AM Liked: 111
#2 of 26
11-10-2009 | Posts: 5,521
I might! If they were well made and would be played with for a long time, and I had the money, I could see myself buying something like that. I'd love to see their website.
04:24 AM Liked: 151
#3 of 26
11-10-2009 | Posts: 4,940
Well, I am disappointed. AGAIN. They're spendy. And the baby--a necessity since there *is* a baby in our family, and besides that, it seems children like having a 'baby' in the house anyway so i would buy her one...ONLY COMES IN BLACK OR WHITE not the TAN, AND they are dressed very obviously as GIRLS. (our baby is a boy) I mean SERIOUSLY what would be wrong with dressing it in, say, oh, hmmmmm......well, not pink and purple and flowered anyway! it may have even had a bow on its head I don't know.

Light green. With yellow stars. How about that?

And after a major 45 mins spent searching Google, I have come to the conclusion that NOBODY and I mean NOBODY sells mix-and-match multi-racial dolls so you can build your own family of them. They all either come in entire family sets--monoracial families---or they come in sets with matched child/parent.
terrordactyl's Avatar terrordactyl
11:50 PM Liked: 770
#4 of 26
11-10-2009 | Posts: 2,571
have you checked any of the waldorf toy sites? or thought of making your own from a kit?
spedteacher30's Avatar spedteacher30
12:01 AM Liked: 26
#5 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 1,028
You used to be able to buy either the Ryan's Room or Plan Toy dollhouse dolls a la carte. We're in the same boat you are, except we need:

one white mom, one black mom, one tan boy, and some Asian cousins.

Apparently, it was Ryan's room, and you can't buy them separately anymore.

Crud! I am not sure what we are going to do now--maybe buy all three sets? it would still be cheaper than your custom made set...
2lilsweetfoxes's Avatar 2lilsweetfoxes
01:24 AM Liked: 22
#6 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post
You used to be able to buy either the Ryan's Room or Plan Toy dollhouse dolls a la carte. We're in the same boat you are, except we need:

one white mom, one black mom, one tan boy, and some Asian cousins.

Crud! I am not sure what we are going to do now--maybe buy all three sets? it would still be cheaper than your custom made set...
Especially if you know families that are "opposite" yours--that they could use the dolls that don't "match" your family, or those "extras" can be neighbors and friends.
skreader's Avatar skreader
01:57 AM Liked: 621
#7 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 681
When I was a kid I never liked playing w/ humanoid dolls in my dollhouse. They always looked ghastly. Instead, I would either play with and manipulate the furniture and scenes w/ no dolls (peopled the dollhouse in my imagination).

I also had some fun using little mouse toys that had clothes on them (grey and brown if I remember).

Or, you could get some wooden clothes pins and paint or decorate them to suit?
vbactivist's Avatar vbactivist
03:14 AM Liked: 48
#8 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 3,122
have you checked etsy?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php..._desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php..._desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
Liquesce's Avatar Liquesce
03:38 AM Liked: 59
#9 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher30 View Post
You can still find sellers online that sell the separate dolls ... try here (although some of that seller's racial designations are irritating me, like the choice of "caucasian," "asian," or "ethnic" babies ).
Whistler's Avatar Whistler
04:10 AM Liked: 11
#10 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreader View Post
I also had some fun using little mouse toys that had clothes on them (grey and brown if I remember).
Sylvanian Families, right? I loved those! http://www.sylvanianfamilies.com/ Those make great dollhouse people

OP, I'd just buy all three sets and let your kids mix and match And yes, I'd spend $100 on the right color dolls if they are good quality. This from a thrift-store queen too.

ETA: if they are wooden, you might be able to paint or stain them the right color?

ETA2: You're not the only one: http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/200...ltiracial.html

ETA3: If you want an exact replica of your family, you can get supplies to make them yourself... probably the route I'd go since I like that sort of thing. See here: http://www.achildsdream.com/handwork...g_supplies.htm
noobmom's Avatar noobmom
02:04 PM Liked: 10
#11 of 26
11-11-2009 | Posts: 1,042
This doesn't help you at all, but Pottery Barn Kids seems to be selling "pre-mixed" families for their dollhouses. I noticed it when looking through their catalog the other day. The dad in the Sullivan family looks sort of Asian to me, although maybe it's just the glasses. The son looks multiracial or Asian to me too. LOL. You can see it here:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/gift/...toy/thmtoydsh/
eepster's Avatar eepster
12:03 AM Liked: 32
#12 of 26
11-14-2009 | Posts: 8,777
DS has a playmobil 123 doll house. I considered buying two or three sets and mixing and matching them, but then DS decided that the the zoo keeper was the daddy.
maggiemae's Avatar maggiemae
02:36 AM Liked: 0
#13 of 26
11-14-2009 | Posts: 779
I am making my own out of pegs. I will wrap cute fabric around them and mod podge it on and then paint faces and hair.

http://www.graceviolet.com/2008/09/p...dollhouse.html
mamarhu's Avatar mamarhu
05:52 PM Liked: 1362
#14 of 26
11-15-2009 | Posts: 3,064
I have at least 4 or 5 sets from Ryan' House, all different varieties. Different kids mix and match them as they choose. As a foster parent, I like this option, but I also like that we can put together the whole neighborhood. I let the kids put them together as they see fit. DD said a certain black lady doll was mommy - when I questioned her, she said it was the only one in jeans. I guess for her right then, clothes were more important than skin color.

We also have fairly realistic, real baby size baby dolls, in fairly pale white, medium tan, and darker brown. About $10 each at Toys are Us. We love that we can buy real baby clothes and equipment at yard sales, thrift stores, etc.
physmom's Avatar physmom
02:48 PM Liked: 17
#15 of 26
11-17-2009 | Posts: 1,432
Honestly, I'm thankful there are at least multi-racial dolls available! I know when we were growing up (in the midwest) my mom really struggled finding a dark haired, dark eyed, tan skinned doll for my sister. Everything was just blonde haired and blue eyed.

What gets me, is when we go to my husband's country and all the dolls there are blonde haired and blue eyed! Seriously, it's pretty rare there. I got pretty annoyed when all the bazillion of plastic dolls (even though she would've been much happier with a book, CD, or blocks like we asked for, sigh...) that they threw at us didn't look a thing like DD.

Sorry for the this is something that really gets to me. Thank you OP for posting this because I really like some of the suggests other have made. I think it would be a lot of fun to make our own dolls! Oh, and as cheap as I am, I would totally spend the money if the dolls were good quality ones and it made DD happy.
seaheroine's Avatar seaheroine
03:32 PM Liked: 18
#16 of 26
11-17-2009 | Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobmom View Post
This doesn't help you at all, but Pottery Barn Kids seems to be selling "pre-mixed" families for their dollhouses. I noticed it when looking through their catalog the other day. The dad in the Sullivan family looks sort of Asian to me, although maybe it's just the glasses. The son looks multiracial or Asian to me too. LOL. You can see it here:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/gift/...toy/thmtoydsh/
These are great! I've been having trouble finding a brunette family! Maybe I'll get these and one of the Plan toys families, too.
Grayson's Mom's Avatar Grayson's Mom
12:56 PM Liked: 11
#17 of 26
11-22-2009 | Posts: 587
THESE are by far my most favorite dollhouse dolls EVER!!! http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.21417/.f
And you can buy them individually...
03:14 AM Liked: 151
#18 of 26
11-24-2009 | Posts: 4,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson's Mom View Post
THESE are by far my most favorite dollhouse dolls EVER!!! http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/sc.16/category.21417/.f
And you can buy them individually...
Those are the ones I orignally started the thread about! $100 bucks and I was ready to do it...........possibly even spring for the "grandma"....Till I saw there was no "medium" baby. And that the babies are *obviously* girls. Um, our baby is a boy. How about one dressed in I don't know blue with yellow stars or something?? (ask my 2 year old, who has NOT been told this, and she will tell you that things that are pink and purple are for girls.)

It's just not worth over a hundred bucks to me if I can't get a tan baby dressed in a "neutral" outfit,

But they are by far the best I've seen as far as ability to mix and match. I was thrilled to find out I could have a 'black" Daddy (and that he is REALLY dark, by the pics), a "white" Mommy and "tan" children.

Though you know if I did end up buying some sets and mixing and matching of some other brand I guess the dolls could have relatives from both sides of the fam (they have of course a white grandma and a black grandma....)
ASusan's Avatar ASusan
03:03 PM Liked: 23
#19 of 26
12-06-2009 | Posts: 4,839
You can custom order your skin color, hair color, and hair style for a felt play family --

Traveling Tots Felt Art Tote Story Board

$20 for a 3-person family,
dogretro's Avatar dogretro
04:22 PM Liked: 52
#20 of 26
12-06-2009 | Posts: 1,769
Here ya go: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo...etspretend.jsp

For $100 you get FOUR different complete families, so you can mix and match & have neighbors, too. Looks like most of the babies are boys & you may be able to swap their outfits anyway. Can't tell if they are undressable. IME,the best places to look for multiracial dolls are school supply companies b/c they serve a wider audience. The toys should be made to hold up to LOTS of play, too! The reason the Evi doll babies all are dressed as girls is b/c they are dressed to match the mothers of the same color. Kinda dumb.
05:25 AM Liked: 151
#21 of 26
12-08-2009 | Posts: 4,940
love it love it LOOOOVE it! I don't know WHY I didn't think to check a preschool supply company! shame on me i used to work in a preschool I KNOW this stuff. Anyway yeah duh they should hold up lol

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the little "hispanic baby' is obviously a boy. And the little family looks like ours......little boy little girl little baby boy.........oh I'm lovin it.....

don't have the cash but lovin the thought....come on $$......
olliepop's Avatar olliepop
04:34 PM Liked: 0
#22 of 26
12-08-2009 | Posts: 483
Check thrift stores too!
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee
04:45 PM Liked: 15
#23 of 26
12-08-2009 | Posts: 19,261

dogretro's Avatar dogretro
05:47 PM Liked: 52
#24 of 26
12-08-2009 | Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceful_mama View Post
love it love it LOOOOVE it! I don't know WHY I didn't think to check a preschool supply company! shame on me i used to work in a preschool I KNOW this stuff.
Honestly, if I hand't worked at a daycare, I would not have thought of it, either!

I ran into lots of trouble getting a small soft baby doll for our last foster daughter, so I am glad that I was able to help this time! The whole non-mix and match thing and the lack of brown/Latino and Asian dolls in general is just SO STUPID.
mom2tatum's Avatar mom2tatum
02:03 AM Liked: 15
#25 of 26
12-14-2009 | Posts: 1,271
I have been searching and searching for this same exact thing as well. I just refurnished and cleaned up my old dollhouse that an uncle made me as a child. I have two boys so far, so I don't know how long the playing with it will last...but I know the 3 yo will love it for now at least. I haven't decided what to buy for sure, have you? But, I am thinking of just getting little animals of some kind....I don't know, I am going to finish looking at the links people gave you here on this thread now to see if I come up with a better plan.

Oh, and we have a further dilemma - our house is a 1/2" scale, so it is not the normal 1" size. Meaning the dolls are 1:12 ratio to real people...yk? so our dolls should be more like 2-3 in, not 5-6 in...this is killin me!

Peace.
mom2tatum's Avatar mom2tatum
02:39 AM Liked: 15
#26 of 26
12-14-2009 | Posts: 1,271
World Lego People?

If I could figure out the size of them, I'd buy this set right now, but I have a feeling they are bigger than the little lego people since they are for duplo's...ahhhh!!!!!! The size issue is becoming bigger than the color issue!

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=9222
Reply Subscribe Multicultural Families