uneven skin color on my daughter's cheeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hiya, my daughter is 5 and this is the 2nd year coming out of summer that i've noticed light patches on her cheeks. she is euro and afro-caribbean. her skin color is brown (darker in the summer) and the patches are not as light as a caucasian skin, but definitely lighter than her tanned, summer color. in the summer, when she is in the sun regularly, she does not have the patches, i've only noticed it when the tan fades away.

is it normal for skin to return to its winter color unevenly on the face? the only reason i am concerned at all is bc my mother has vitiligo, which is the complete loss of pigmentation in the skin. i don't have it, and the way my daughter's skin looks does not look like vitiligo to me (for those who don't know vitiligo, it is bright, pinkish white patches that eventually can cover the whole body).

have any other mamas who are multi-racial or have multi-racial children had experiences with patches of lighter skin when a summer tans fade away and is there anything i can do about it?

thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM

maybe Pityriasis Alba? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_alba

my son has this but his white patches are more visible in the summer when his skin is darker

just a thought
#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM

My son is biracial (black/white) and has lighter patches on his cheeks, too. It's not very noticeable, but is more obvious when he's tanned.
#4 of 4 Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oonah View Post
maybe Pityriasis Alba? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_alba

my son has this but his white patches are more visible in the summer when his skin is darker

just a thought
My kids had that a couple of times. The Dr. gave us a cream that took care of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page