CDing/APing and travel to Lebanon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
xposted in "Middle East" forum

I'm taking my 3.5 month old baby to Lebanon next week. We'll be there for three weeks.

My practical questions: What kind of laundry soap/detergent is available in Lebanon that is compatible with cloth diapers? At home I use ECOS free and clear (but will be switching soon to Charlie's.) My MIL said they have soap flakes (sabon barsh) that she used to use on her babies' clothes and diapers, but I'm not sure what else is available.

While in transit, do you use CDs or 'sposies? Any tips?Our travel to Lebanon will be approximately 20 hours. We've never used 'sposies.

Finally, I've never been to Lebanon as a parent before. Beyond the usual deflection tactics when people question our cosleeping, uber-attached, CDing, EBF methods, is there anything I (an American who has spent many weeks in Lebanon in years past) might want to prepare myself for?

Thank you!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 02:07 PM

I always use sposies when traveling so I don't have to lug around wet diapers. We get more blowouts, but they are still easier. I started using a CD cover over the sposies to contain the blowouts.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 AM

You may be met with lots of concern over why your baby doesn't drink water in a bottle. You may also be told that it's about time she have Cerelac in a bottle, including arguments about how Cerelac is so good for babies and they love it so much. Cerelac is often cited in my Lebanese family as an ideal food for keeping babies well-fed, happy and sleeping well. For these suggestions, I rely on the tried and true pediatrician expertise. I find that if you tell them that your pediatrician doesn't want her drinking water because he/she says breastmilk has plenty of fluids for the baby, that tends to stop any argument. Same for Cerelac--"my pediatrician says not to feed her any cereal until she's ready for solids at 6 months." You will hear many stories about all the children who had Cerelac at 3 months and are very healthy today. The non-commital answer or deflecting is the best tactic for these comments.

I don't think co-sleeping will be much of an issue, especially if you're staying in someone's home with limited sleeping space. You will likely be expected to sleep with your baby in this situation. And in a baby so young, breastfeeding won't be an issue yet, either. When asked how long I plan to breastfeed, I answer "until my baby is ready to stop." I am then either treated to stories about relatives in the mountains who breastfed until their child was 4 or 5, or an explanation about why so and so couldn't breastfeed past 1 month or similar.

As for cloth diapers, I think soap flakes mixed with baking soda is a good way to clean them. Using white vinegar in the rinse will remove the soap from the diapers.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

Old 12-10-2009, 06:31 AM

I was going to tell you that CDing might be difficult given the frequent water/power outages, but then I read you've spent a lot of time there, so you know that already!

Can't help you much on the soap. They have Ariel, which is basically Tide, and I doubt you want to use that....

As for the traveling part-- SPOSIES all the way. But that's my preference: I would not want to lug around 20 hrs worth of poopy diapers. I always used sposies while traveling.

And the PP is right on the money re: cerelac. And extended nursing. You can choose to try to explain yourself to 20 million relatives, or just say that you haven't decided how long to breastfeed yet. The idea about using your pediatrician to say that you won't be feeding cereal or giving water is good, but even better is citing "the extremely famous, seen-on-TV pediatrician" so-and-so. My MIL is always telling me about the ped she saw on TV who said blah blah blah.

But yeah, at your baby's age, no one will blink an eye at the nursing or co-sleeping. Really.

Have a great time!!!

User Tag List