Mexican childrens' books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wondering if any mamas here can help with some titles of childrens' book from Mexico? My hubby is Mexican (born in Mexico, raised in US from just a couple of weeks old) and we hope to raise our son bilingual. This is likely be a bit challenging since my Spanish is basically nonexistant. My idea to increase his exposure to Spanish is for my hubby to read to him. I prompted him to speak to his mother before she went to Mexico recently to ask her to get some books there and mentioned I thought it'd be nice to get classical books or some that might be rather popular right now. (The reasons why I did not ask her myself would be a whole other post!) She brought back Scooby Doo, Winnie the Pooh and Sesame Street books in Spanish.

Can anyone recommend classic or popular children's books from Mexico that I could order through Amazon?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#2 of 14 Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many years ago I was a multilingual cataloger in the Chicago Public Library and we had a fairly large Spanish collection for kids. You might want to look at your local public library and ask your children's librarian.

You might also want to visit this website:
Barahona Center for the Study of Books in Spanish for Children and Adolescents
http://www2.csusm.edu/csb/
Search interface:
http://csbs.csusm.edu/csbs/www.book.book_home?lang=SP

Here's a list in Spanish of various bookstore resources in Spanish (not Mexico only)
http://www.lenguaensecundaria.com/en...comprali.shtml

It listsed this book-store, which has listings for kids. If your husband can read Spanish (you said he was raised in the USA..) maybe he can go through it -or ask you MIL?

http://www.shop.com.mx/libros/TVT.as...1160C68C2A1B05

Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 AM

We've had such a hard time with this! My dh is from Mexico, born & raised there. Every time we go to visit my inlaws or they come here, we try to get books, and it's next to impossible! Nobody knows what I mean or what I want. At least in my dh's city, parents must not read to their kids like we do here, at least not as often or as much because it's so hard to find kids' books.

We've gotten some from friends and online that are common books here, and that's ok with me because it's better than nothing. We have goodnight moon (buenas noches luna), brown bear brown bear (oso pardo oso pardo que ves ahi?). We have a bunch of sesame street ones. Recently I bought online a book called "Tortillas para mama" that has traditional rhymes in Spanish and English. Although my dh and mil were only familiar with a couple of them, it's still nice to have.

If you find anything you really like, let us know!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#4 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM

I love this book and it's written in Spanish and English.

#5 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM

well this isn't a book recommendation (I will have to get the titles and authors and put them in another post).
I grew up listening to cri cri as did my mother

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cri-cri_(character)

a collection of stories and songs in spanish

they may have some on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=&aq=0&oq=cri+

and it looks like you can buy cds on amazon

:
#6 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenlady View Post
well this isn't a book recommendation (I will have to get the titles and authors and put them in another post).
I grew up listening to cri cri as did my mother

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cri-cri_(character)

a collection of stories and songs in spanish

they may have some on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=&aq=0&oq=cri+

and it looks like you can buy cds on amazon
Oh yeah! Not a book, but we have cd's and two dvd's that people bought us of Cri Cri. My dh **** loves "El Raton Vaquero"!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#7 of 14 Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mama View Post
Oh yeah! Not a book, but we have cd's and two dvd's that people bought us of Cri Cri. My dh **** loves "El Raton Vaquero"!
LOL. My fiance loves El Raton Vaquero too. Just the other day he was showing our daughter Jenssy, 9 months, the music video, saying he used to listen to and watch it as a kid.

Fiance to Gaudencio and mother to baby Jenssy (4/17/09)
#8 of 14 Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 PM

I found youtube to be a good resources for this, as others have already mentioned cri cri, but other stuff is on youtube as well, like topo gigio.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#9 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Oh my, I have such trouble with this, too. It is so easy to find good German books, but good, authentic Mexican (or any Spanish-language) children's books is hard.
#10 of 14 Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM

It's true: there is not a tradition of reading books. Most of what is read these days is translated from English, as you have found. But we do have a long tradition of...Cri-Cri!!! These are lovely children's songs that date back to our grandparents or great-grandparents. At school, when our kids (who go to an international school) are asked to dress as a character out of a book from their home country, we choose one of the many diverse characters from Cri Cri's repertoire! Good luck.

#11 of 14 Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 AM

oh...you guys beat me to the punch! Nothing like el Raton Vaquero!!!

#12 of 14 Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

This is not a book, but make sure you get some Jose Luis Orozco CDs - he's great! They used his music a lot in my kids' Spanish program in the early years, and he even played at our school once. Big plus - the music is pleasant for adults to listen to also!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#13 of 14 Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I really like the book I Love Saturdays y Domingos

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#14 of 14 Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Ditto Jose Luis Orozco. Love him at our house. An author to look for is Alma Flor Ada. Some are original spanish, some are translated, but she is Mexican or at least Mexican American.

My toddler(into preschool) son really enjoys the Little Pim videos. They are all in Spanish, subtitles optional.

Ditto the library. Try before you buy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page