French-English toys & books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for toys & books that are in both French & English. I'd like to raise DD bilingual and at home DH speaks French and I speak English to her (because I'm still learning french).
Any ideas on where I can find these?
Here in Texas all I can find in Spanish-English

Also, MIL lives in Montreal so if they can be found there, I'd just need some direction on where to send her to find them.

TIA

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM

We have a Fisher-Price Puppy that sings in French. You can also find a lot of the LeapFrog stuff that is bilingual in Canada.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 01-30-2010, 01:46 AM

I order from the french Amazon: amazon.fr . You can get anything you'd ever want from there!

Mama to T (9/95), A (7/99) and S (2/09) blogging.jpg:
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 AM
~pi

Since MIL is in Montreal, just send her to amazon.ca.

I will tell you, though, that we're a French/English family and I haven't found any explicitly Fr-En books that I liked. They're all designed for English speakers who don't speak French, or vice versa, and are often just a vocab list. (I.e. like this.) Very boring IMHO -- I would not want to read these a gazillion times to a toddler.

One approach you might consider is getting the English and French versions of the same books. (I.e., The Very Hungry Caterpillar and La chenille qui fait les trous -- same book, different languages.) A lovely set of books that you might not know since you're in the US are the Barbara Reid books. I would recommend all four of the Zoe series plus Lit moi une histoire/Read me a story. They have nice rhyming verse in both languages. (Here is a link to the Zoe books.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post
Since MIL is in Montreal, just send her to amazon.ca.

I will tell you, though, that we're a French/English family and I haven't found any explicitly Fr-En books that I liked. They're all designed for English speakers who don't speak French, or vice versa, and are often just a vocab list. (I.e. like this.) Very boring IMHO -- I would not want to read these a gazillion times to a toddler.

One approach you might consider is getting the English and French versions of the same books. (I.e., The Very Hungry Caterpillar and La chenille qui fait les trous -- same book, different languages.) A lovely set of books that you might not know since you're in the US are the Barbara Reid books. I would recommend all four of the Zoe series plus Lit moi une histoire/Read me a story. They have nice rhyming verse in both languages. (Here is a link to the Zoe books.)

The link to the Zoe books look like they are in English. Do they have them in French also? Sorry, I am confused about that one! Can we order from amazon.ca down here in the US?

Thanks! I would really like to get some books that we already have in English, in French, like the Hungry Caterpillar suggestion. That's a great idea.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 AM

Sorry, again, I am just wondering if I am looking in the wrong place. I typed in "Lit moi une histoire" at the amazon.ca site, but nothing came up. But "Read me a story" did come up, but again, it looks like it's in English. Do they have French versions of these somewhere?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 AM

Oh, now I really want to find The Very Hungry Caterpillar in French! Does anyone know where/how we can buy some classic titles like that in French?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 AM

Okay, so now I found books like the Eric Carle books in French, on the amazon.ca site. Now I just have to figure out how to buy them!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 AM

Okay, I found many of them on the Amazon US site now. It was odd, because when I typed in "La chenille qui fait les trous" into the search box, I didn't get any matches. But when I typed in "children's books in French", many of them came up, including La chenille qui fait les trous. I ordered a few.

Now my next question is, any recommendations for some storybooks that are French in origin, and not just English translated into French?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM

Here are some sites to give you an idea of books to look for:

Gallimard Jeunesse
La Bibliotheque Rose (You have to sift through to find the non-TV series books such as Oui-Oui, MimiCracra, Le club des cinq...)
Editions Milan
Bayard Jeunesse Canada

Some books that my kids have enjoyed are:
Petit Ours Brun
Leo et Popi
Tchoupi
Babar
Petit Lapin Blanc
Les Barbapapa
The Droles de Petites Betes, series by Antoon Krings
The collection "Albums Camille" by Aline de Petigny
De la petite taupe qui voulait savoir qui lui avait fait sur sa tete
Je m'ennuie dans mon lit
Le geant va venir ce soir
Caroline
Mimi Cracra

There are also the Kididoc books about animals/science/geography

Chapter books:
Oui-Oui, Le Club des Cinq, Jojo le Lapin, Mini-Loup
Petit Nicolas
Les Detectives du Temps (German series translated into French)

Toys

Games in French
Qui-est-ce?
Scrabble junior
Gare a l'allouette

Have fun!
Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 PM

Wow! Thank you SO much for all of that! I can't to go check them out! Now if I could just get my library to purchase some so I don't break the bank!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM

I am searching on ebay and craigslist, but not finding too many options here in US. I wonder if there is a way to get any of these any cheaper over here. For example, just one book here on amazon costs $40. Maybe I will have to wait for someone to take a trip and bring some to me.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM

You can also search Chapters/Indigo/Coles for books here:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/

They have quite a few stores in Montreal, and you can check to see if a book is in-stock at a specific store before sending your MIL.

Le Petit Prince is a classic French-first story, also available in English.

For learning french it is very helpful to hear it pronounced well (for both you and your child), so I would recommend looking for book/cd combos where you can read along with the cd.

Browsing briefly I found:
Les Oeufs Verts au Jambon (Green Eggs and Ham)
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...7&foundIn=kids

The Cat and The Hat in English and French (one book)
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ch+Top+Sellers

Play and Learn French (book and cd of songs, games, activities)
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ch+Top+Sellers

I chose the Search: French - In Category: Kids' Books

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
The link to the Zoe books look like they are in English. Do they have them in French also? Sorry, I am confused about that one! Can we order from amazon.ca down here in the US?
Scroll down -- the French ones are there as well. Lis-moi une histoire is here -- sorry, typed with wrong construction the first time.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 AM

We can order from Amazon.ca from the US.

I have used Languagelizard.com and wor.com (World of Reading). Bilingual or foreign language books aren't cheap, though.

We have some of the Leapster products. Just buy the cartridges/books for French - buy the actual device in the US, so you don't pay shipping on it.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'd lost this thread and I just saw it in new posts. I have alot to read and search so I'll just get to it...

oh, any of you have any luck with other learning-type toys that talk in both french and english? Particularly for babies/toddlers?

DS-(1996), DSD-(2001), and our miracle baby girl-(7/7/09) and Always remembering my 3 brokenheart.gif angel babies
and cautiously due May 12, 2011!

User Tag List