Obtaining dual citizenship for children from another country?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-24-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The passport thread made me think of this. I had always been told by my grandmother (from Uruguay) that because my mother was Uruguayan born I too would be able to get citizenship and a passport. That through this same thing my children too would be able to get one. I would love to find out about doing this so that if we do have the opportunity to travel there we can do so on Uruguayan passports. Can anyone tell me how to research this?? My dad was born Argentina, and my mom was born in Uruguay. We live in the US.
Thanks

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#2 of 3 Old 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Honestly, I don't know how you would research this. However, a quick search of Wikipedia indicates that indeed, you are a citizen by nature of having been born to one, and thus your children would be by the same law. How you go about claiming your citizenship though I don't know. I think you may need to contact the embassy to ask about it.

We are facing a similar thing one day, as I am Canadian and my husband is American. We live in Canada. But its very easy to get information about applying for documentation for American citizens born abroad.
#3 of 3 Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM

You may want to contact the Uruguayan Consulate http://www.uruwashi.org/.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page