Introducing Spanish to 2.75 year old dd--thoughts, advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My current domestic situation is really pretty much tangential to my question but it is necessary to explain a bit in order for my question to make much sense. So, some background:

I have spoken a little bit of Spanish (and a little bit of Chinese) with dd since she was born and she understands a bit of both but will answer any questions asked in these languages in English. She is really fluent and articulate in English but not at all in either Spanish or Chinese.

But now I have a partner from Spain. The fact is that he has just met dd but now he and I are going to have a baby together (oops!) and so he will be spending more time with dd so she can get to know him.

When they spoke they had a really hard time communicating because his English is not that good and it's hard to understand little kids speaking a foreign language; she found his accent really hard to understand. I spent a lot of time translating for the both of them.

I have decided that I think it would be best if he just starts speaking to her in Spanish. I think it will be difficult at first but ultimately I think they will communicate better this way. Besides, I *really* want her to be bilingual and this is a great chance, PLUS dp is going to be speaking Spanish almost exclusively with the new baby and I don't want my dd to feel left out in that way.

But I'm wondering about the logistics of it. How do I encourage them both to push on when it (inevitably) gets frustrating? How long will it take? Do you think this approach WILL eventually work? Any tips on how to make it most effective?

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
#2 of 2 Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I started by saying something in Spanish and then repeating it in English, until my DS would act on the Spanish, then have moved on. He never found it frustrating. He will still only speak english to me, but my best friend (who is cuban) has a son his age and they both merrilly mash the lnguages together. Her DS thought that English was a boys language (since his dad, gradad, my DH spoke it) and that Spanish was the language you used when talking to girls.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page