One Parent, One Language - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard that many families do this. So my question is, here in Japan, the Japanese already incorporate a lot of English into their daily life. But their pronunciation is not the same. Eg. bottle is "bo-to-ru," cap is "kyappu," label is "ra-be-ru."

So I speak English to DS, but when DH and FIL speak to DS, they will use Japanese plus those kinds of English words. It's not that they are purposely resisting using only Japanese; it's just that this is how they normally use language, intertwining both Japanese and English, even within a sentence. So would this be disadvantageous to DS? What, if anything, should I do?

Also, by any chance, does anyone know if Epsom Salt can be obtained in Japan, and if so, how or where?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think that is fine. Your DH and FIL are using the language in their normal way and that is what your DS will learn. He will not be confused by it. And since you live in Japan he is pretty much guaranteed to learn fluent Japanese eventually no matter what you do.

HTH. No clue about the Epsom salts, sorry.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 AM

I think your child will be just fine. Many languages borrow words and incorporate them from other lanugages. Just peripherally, watching my dad learn Japanese, it seems like that's pretty common.

My dh grew up with several different tribal languages, a formal business language, and English. He and his brother speak a mishmash of all of those together, but they are definitely not linguistically confused people, and can seperate the languages when they need to talk to someone who only knows one.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
tried to buy Epsom salts today in France, was given funny looks until someone thought of looking in up under "sulfate de magnesium" so I should think that in english it's Magnesium Sulfate.

The first pharmacist had it in small individual doses (for people who want to drink it dilluted) but I want it to put in a bath so I was offered to order one kilo for 12 euros (with a one month wait) ... or to try "une droguerie" (a small traditional store where you can buy household cleaning products and the like- these stores are fast disapearing in fact) ...to try to find some non food grade Magnesium Sulfate.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM

I wouldn't worry about the language mixture, OP. I'm Indian and we speak a mixture of English and Hindi all the time (within the same sentence, etc.). DS, having grown up here, speaks only in English but he's trying to incorporate more Hindi as he grows. He isn't confused by it in the least. Yours'll learn to discern languages as he grows too and use words appropriately with proper pronunciation.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:36 PM

My cousin and her husband both spoke only german to their dd (though they spoke english to everyone else, since they live in the USA). They also took care of grandpa (he lived with them) and he spoke only english. Their dd is about 10 now I think, and fluent in both language. They said when she was starting to talk she mostly used geman because that's what her parents used, but when she'd talk to grandpa and he didnt' understand she could switch over easily (even in her toddler years).

my sister and her husband speak portugese to their children (english to everyone else). They don't have an english-speaker in house like my cousin did, but their kids seem to pick up both languages quite smoothly too. Sister said that her son (now 3) talked on the later side compared to kids his age, and that when he started talking he often made up his own words for things (as though he'd concluded that everyone spoke a different language perhaps?) She said that they continued to just speak normally to him and within a few months he adjusted to using either portugese or english words for everything.

If it is typical there to use those modified english words, then I'd say that using them is teaching your dc 'normal' japanese, you know?

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM

heh heh heh

the hoikuen teachers were all cracking up at my 3.5 yo dds pronunciation of the word candy, which I cannot for the life of me say correctly in katakana. I have somehow transmitted that to her, or maybe its just that dh never talks about candy to her.

anyhow, kids are able to work this out for themselves. the words sound similar to us because we think about new words differently than kids, we consider where they came from and screw up their pronunciation in that way, but that won`t trip up little ones long. dd will now correct my katakana pronunciation - she knows I am not the Japanese language authority. So in English is it label, and Japanese raberu, and your son will sort it out easily enough. Imagine if you had to try find substitutes for karate and karaoke in English - muri!!!

OT - where in Japan are you? I am in Okayama (freezin' *** cold Okayama this morning! what happened to spring?!? I almost took apart the kotatsu yesterday, thankfully it is still here owing to my laziness). For epsom salts, if you are an MIJer or AFWJer, try asking there.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all your reassurance! I appreciate all your sharing!

Yes, magnesium sulfate, I told the clerk science MgSo4. But I guess this is not as commonly sold here as it is in the US.

What is MIJ and AFWJ? I am guessing it is in reference to military? But unfortunately, I am not and don't have access to their places.

Re OT: I am in Osaka. But hey, I think it is Okayama-ken that my DH drives out to about one or two times a month for his job. ......... Well, today was a real surprise here in Osaka .... it was drizzling a bit and then suddenly it started to rain teeny tiny snow-ice (not really snow, but not rain either)!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Would there be a restriction on selling it? I know that Japan has some odd products which are not allowed. I used to be an international Flight Attendant and we were warned not to bring Sudefed or similar into Japan.

About the language, I can support what the others said. The French use English words in the wrong context (baskets=sneakers, mail=email) and I do have to admit that sometimes my kids get those mixed up. I think though that it happens when they're "cheating". In other words, they don't know the English and they'll slot in the French with an American accent and see if it passes.

That's way ahead of you though. As babies, they didn't mix them up and actually often didn't even recognize them as being originally English words. The funniest incidents were when my son "corrected" my pronunciation of "blue jeans" and "football". I remember I was in the car, trying to speak, drive and laugh hysterically, while pointing to my foot. "FOOT! BALL! It's ENGLISH sweetheart!!"
Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
English isn`t the my first language, so we don`t use it at home. I agree though that it shouldn`t be a problem for your DS. They are amazingly smart and they`ll pick up on the difference.
Osaka is pretty close though. I live in Kobe.Tee-hee, that icy rain followed by the snow storm was quite something.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif

User Tag List