Q: Where did you get your baby from? A: My vagina. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DP and I used a known donor to get pregnant and he's Filipino. Recently we've been starting to get questions from people assuming she's adopted. Last week a stranger asked, "Where did you get her from?" I responded, "From my vagina." It was the first thing that came to mind.

My mom thinks it's too flippant to repsond this way. Her opinion is that people are just "trying to be nice." Personally, I think it's a straight-forward answer to an intrusive question.

What do you think?

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Fay

I think if people are going to ask a question like that, they need to be ready for the correct answer!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#3 of 40 Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 PM

"Where did you get her from?" wow that is just so offensive. I think offensive Q's deserve offensive answers. I might've replied "we bought out of the back of a van at walmart" but I like your response better!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#4 of 40 Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM

OMG, that is the perfect answer to a really stupid question.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#5 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 AM

Well, people aren't trying to be nice ... they're trying to be nosy. Not that their intentions are likely malevolent or anything, but yeah ... it's not "being nice."

I'm big on answering questions based on their intentions more than their substance sometimes. With regard to that sort of question, the intentions are plainly to satisfy a personal curiosity without a lot of thought given to actual decorum. I think the answer you gave -- matter of fact, not that concerned with social propriety -- fits perfectly.
#6 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Since when is the phrase "Where did you get her from?" a nice thing to ask. Very intrusive! I think you had the perfect response.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#7 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Well, people aren't trying to be nice ... they're trying to be nosy. Not that their intentions are likely malevolent or anything, but yeah ... it's not "being nice."

I'm big on answering questions based on their intentions more than their substance sometimes. With regard to that sort of question, the intentions are plainly to satisfy a personal curiosity without a lot of thought given to actual decorum. I think the answer you gave -- matter of fact, not that concerned with social propriety -- fits perfectly.
Yes, this.

It's like strangers rubbing my pregnant belly without asking if it's ok then defending their rude behavior with some stupid response like "It's magical" or "It's SO big!"... I have been known to say things like, "My butt's pretty magical, too" or "My boobs have gotten a lot bigger, too. Would you like to rub them?"

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#8 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoabethy View Post
My DP and I used a known donor to get pregnant and he's Filipino. Recently we've been starting to get questions from people assuming she's adopted. Last week a stranger asked, "Where did you get her from?" I responded, "From my vagina." It was the first thing that came to mind.

My mom thinks it's too flippant to repsond this way. Her opinion is that people are just "trying to be nice." Personally, I think it's a straight-forward answer to an intrusive question.

What do you think?
I think it's a deliberately rude answer to a rude question and I'm not saying it's unjustified but maybe a gentler "from my belly/uterus/womb when I gave birth to her" would convey the same message without having to stoop to the level of social crudity that they were. (?)

and honestly that's where she came from. If I live in NYC and have a visitor from NJ, I don't say the came from the Holland Tunnel...that was just a point on their route here.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#9 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 06:08 AM

i think its a great response and perfectly fitting for a stupid question.

btw one of my favorites is when folks ask me where I'm from , I say "My Mom!"

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#10 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM

I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here. Is it a rude thing to ask? Sure. But the people who ask it are not meaning to be rude. Your response, on the other hand, is intentionally rude. I'll admit that I incline towards the flip, witty (and yes, rude) retort, but I'm also learning that while it may make ME feel better, it also usually makes the other person (who probably didn't realize their question was rude when it came out of their mouth) feel horrible, and my response could have been better used to gently and kindly educate rather than embarrass.

I actually think just saying (in a friendly way) that she's your biological daughter and is half filipino (no need to go into any more detail) would both satisfy their curiosity and also help them realize that just because a child looks different from her mother does not mean they are not biologically related. People are going to be more willing to see things a different way if they don't feel belittled. Just my 2 cents as I myself strive to take a gentler approach with people.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#11 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Maybe a good response is the same one I heard a twin mom give to no less then 4 bizarre questions at a mall recently...

"Why do you ask?" said friendly.

I think a lot of folks ask questions that are strange because they cant think of what else to say.

I disagree that using the vagina makes it rude or intentionally anything, i think that would have been conveded in the tone and face much more.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#12 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

I would have gestured to DH and asked "Would you like us to show you?"

I agree, what a rude question!
#13 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I responded, "From my vagina." It was the first thing that came to mind.

I think that is hysterical! I don't think it was rude at all. Rude question, for sure. I always wish I had the guts to come up with answers like that! However, in the future, I think I'd probably go with the PP's suggestion of "From my belly". I actually like that one a lot. It makes it clear that she is your child, you carried her, and children don't always look like their parents. And it sounds sweet. I used to tell my children that, when they were toddlers, that they used to be inside my belly, when they would ask questions about babies and birth, and I think it's a good response.
#14 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 PM

That question hasn't come up for me yet, but I was thinking of saying, "From the Republic of Mywomb." However, the Replublic of Myvagina has a nice ring to it, too.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#15 of 40 Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here. Is it a rude thing to ask? Sure. But the people who ask it are not meaning to be rude. Your response, on the other hand, is intentionally rude. I'll admit that I incline towards the flip, witty (and yes, rude) retort, but I'm also learning that while it may make ME feel better, it also usually makes the other person (who probably didn't realize their question was rude when it came out of their mouth) feel horrible, and my response could have been better used to gently and kindly educate rather than embarrass.

I actually think just saying (in a friendly way) that she's your biological daughter and is half filipino (no need to go into any more detail) would both satisfy their curiosity and also help them realize that just because a child looks different from her mother does not mean they are not biologically related. People are going to be more willing to see things a different way if they don't feel belittled. Just my 2 cents as I myself strive to take a gentler approach with people.
I agree.
#16 of 40 Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
it also usually makes the other person (who probably didn't realize their question was rude when it came out of their mouth) feel horrible
I get your point, but maybe an answer like this will make them think twice about asking someone else intrusive, not to mention rude, questions.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#17 of 40 Old 04-25-2010, 02:08 AM

i can see her point to and thats why i mentioned the "why do you ask?" response. hopefully makes them think for a second about what they said, but if said with the right positive and open tone it is just a return question, not a slam.

I tend to be punchy and snarky, but i do there there is sometime better ways than mine

#18 of 40 Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Adorkable• View Post
i can see her point to and thats why i mentioned the "why do you ask?" response. hopefully makes them think for a second about what they said, but if said with the right positive and open tone it is just a return question, not a slam.

I tend to be punchy and snarky, but i do there there is sometime better ways than mine
Yeah, thats a good one. Except I'd be afraid to hear what people who have so little tact as to ask a question like that would respond!

I would HOPE their filter is working and they don't come back with something even worse, but clearly they already have boundary issues.. plus, OP's answer seems like a better way to end a conversation you don't want to be having in the first place! asking them another question would just invite them to keep butting in to my life!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#19 of 40 Old 04-25-2010, 03:31 PM

for whatever reason, strangers feel entitled to ask probing personal questions based on a child's appearance which is very bold and highly annoying. i am proud that you were so sharp and quick on that one!

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#20 of 40 Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM

While I think that's hilarious

Quote:
I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here. Is it a rude thing to ask? Sure. But the people who ask it are not meaning to be rude. Your response, on the other hand, is intentionally rude.
I do agree with this. I totally understand the desire to snark back at a dumb question. But while I really, really want to do that sometimes, it's not really the person I want to be, so I don't.

I think "She's my biological daughter, why do you ask?" is just as effective in letting a person know their question was inappropriate. Normal, well-meaning people would take the social cue easily. Tempting as it may be, IMO it's unnecessary to escalate an interaction with a deliberate "shocker" type thing and the intention to shame someone.
#21 of 40 Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 PM

i do think that it will make her think twice before asking someone else one of these rude questions. i remember distinctly when a similar situation arose for me as a horrified woman inquired if this was my baby that i was breastfeeding. and i told her that i just came to the daycare to nurse random children who were hungry. no, not my most skillful moment, but i was tired of ignorance, so she may have caught a little of someone else's wrath, too.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#22 of 40 Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
at all of the above! from the OP to the comment about breastfeeding.

I have gotten asked what my children's background is but *never* "where did you 'get' them?" And considering that the majority of the time, it is a person who is obviously first-generation in America from an African country, like their dad, asking, I answer.
To me, it's not a rude question, it's a person who can tell these kids might have a parent from the same country as them, or that they're half-African at least.

honestly, I'd rather they ask than stare at us. Gives me a chance to show my kids how to deal with questions that they will likely be asked someday.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#23 of 40 Old 04-29-2010, 10:41 AM

I would most likely do the same thing!! I have a friend who has albinism, she is black, her children do not have albinism, yet when we go out people tell her all the time how "beautiful it is" that she adopted African Twins?!?!? Seriously?!?!?!
I personally would never ask, to me, your child is your child no matter how it arrived in your arms.

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#24 of 40 Old 04-30-2010, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i am also going to go with the minority here (har har)

while yes it was a rude comment, it is something that people have been doing for centuries. they judge by what they see. did you know in the 1700s they actually had different races for man before they knew any better.

i too would draw attention to children can look rather different from parents.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 40 Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM

I get questions like that from kids at my daughter's school. I always reply that she came from my belly and sometimes offer some basic info on genetics. They are usually just curious.

From adults though, I get a lot of "Where is she from?" and my responses vary from looking at them like they are crazy to telling them very clearly how ignorant and stupid they are. I find those questions offensive on so many different levels and will sometimes take the time to go through the entire list.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#26 of 40 Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

i do tend to be snarky...so i often have to put myself in check. i guess my main goal is to let people know that (as the saying goes) they are making an "a*s out of u and me" by assuming DD is adopted. but, i guess there are more diplomativ ways of getting my point across!

rainbow1284.gifbeth  stillheart.gifDW   blahblah.gif DD  Nov. 2009 and 1sttri.gif due Feb. 2013

#27 of 40 Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM

I think your response was perfect.

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#28 of 40 Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
I think if people are going to ask a question like that, they need to be ready for the correct answer!
Definitely! There is NO reason to worry about offending in this case.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#29 of 40 Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:

What do you think?
sorry you had to put up with this ignorance, but i had to l at your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenagy View Post
Yes, this.

It's like strangers rubbing my pregnant belly without asking if it's ok then defending their rude behavior with some stupid response like "It's magical" or "It's SO big!"... I have been known to say things like, "My butt's pretty magical, too" or "My boobs have gotten a lot bigger, too. Would you like to rub them?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mama Jama View Post
i do think that it will make her think twice before asking someone else one of these rude questions. i remember distinctly when a similar situation arose for me as a horrified woman inquired if this was my baby that i was breastfeeding. and i told her that i just came to the daycare to nurse random children who were hungry. no, not my most skillful moment, but i was tired of ignorance, so she may have caught a little of someone else's wrath, too.
omg why oh why would someone ask that when you were bf your baby, love your response though

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#30 of 40 Old 05-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's a rude question even if your child weren't your biological child. I am a foster-to-adopt parent and I HATE that question.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page