#1 of 17 Old 05-28-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

#2 of 17 Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM

I'm white. I think those statements are offensive and would not like to hear them either. I've also heard non-whites say racist things. I think its the person speaking & their level of awareness VS "caucasians think racist comments are OK!" type of thing.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#3 of 17 Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Both statements are very offensive! No one should say them but especially not in a school! It would definitely not be acceptable here.
#4 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

#5 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post
I'm white. I think those statements are offensive and would not like to hear them either. I've also heard non-whites say racist things. I think its the person speaking & their level of awareness VS "caucasians think racist comments are OK!" type of thing.
Very true. The member of our family who is most racist and likely to make comments like that is not caucasian.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 17 Old 05-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudoBem View Post
Okay, I'm glad to hear that. Sometimes I feel like I must be crazy.
I think about what these statements to do the self-concepts of kids who belong to these different groups. Or if you're another minority, I wonder if it makes you ponder what they think about your group.
It bothers me when those in the majority discount the effect that this racism has on kids. Why is it so hard for some people to see/understand how inappropriate this kind of speech is?
Some of the most offensive language learned (for me) was in my family and in the media and in schoolbooks, etc while I was growing up. People are becoming more aware but very unfortunately (& infuriatingly!!) some people choose to continue using offensive racist statements. Or they may still be unaware of the real meaning of the statement, & how it can make others feel & how it could affect a kid's self-esteem. I'm sorry that you have to be around people who say these things. What would happen if you told them that its offensive & why?

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#7 of 17 Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 AM

Even the term “Indian” is not considered PC in many places. Recently I was going through some of ds’s old books that he doesn’t read any more to donate to the library. He had several older books my aunt had given about “Indians” and “Eskimos”. The library would not even take them saying that they are no longer allowed have children’s books that use those terms. “First Nation” or “Aboriginal” is the more PC term used for “Indian” nowadays and “Inuit” the term used for “Eskimos” where we are.
#8 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 AM

I'd be complaining to the school about that teacher's language. 100%. They do NOT need to hear that, especially from an adult at school--if the teacher says it, it seems to doubly make it "OK" and "right" in the mind of a child. And I'd tell my child exactly why I'm doing it. People need to be told sometimes to THINK about this kind of stuff.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#9 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post
i agree with you 100%

i am sorry the person in your school happens to be white, would it make it less offensive if they were not?

i think both statements are beyond offensive and yes, i look white, but am over 50% Native American.

i would bring it up to the school. a teacher, not matter the color of their skin or where they come form should never talk like that. its not OK nor is it what i want my kids to learn. we put a lot of trust in our schools to teach the 'right' things and this type of talk is beyond offensive and letting it go is in fact, making it OK...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#10 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 02:26 AM

Consider it your cue to teach your child the word "ignoramus."

And I'm betting the offending teacher won't know what it means.

Dad to toddler, dad-to-be to another.

#11 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Horrible expression....sometimes people really are not thinking about what they say and because it is a cliche that has been taken for granted they do not listen to themselves.
#12 of 17 Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

i would have to speak with someone at the school immediately and the offender as well. there is so much ignorance in the world and some people don't even know they are guilty of it until they are called on their actions.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#13 of 17 Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 AM

I would speak to the school as well, personally it is unacceptable to hear that sort of language from anyone, let alone a teacher and librarian!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#14 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM

I personally think that in some places or in some people, this kind of racism (which is admittedly not terribly overt) is so deeply embedded that they are totally unaware of the offensiveness and the power of their words. But I agree with you 100% that those things are racist and that they do--if not consciously--*absolutely* have an effect on children--ALL children--that is how children view other races and how children internalize messages about their own race.

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :
#15 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Ugh. Reminds me of things my grandparents used to say. Mind you, they were born in 1911 and 1913 respectively, so it was just commonplace and accepted by the majority to say things that today would be considered blatantly racist and offensive. i.e. my Grandma would always say, "Your Chinese friend is coming over? Well you'd better watch out for her! They're sneaky!" Or she'd say things like, "THOSE people...." when referring to just about any non-caucasians. And those were the tamer of many things they said.

-
#16 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM

A librarian actually let words like that come out of her mouth in front of children?

(Hmm... "wild Indians", must be talking about the Thugee cult. That was a pretty violent group by several accounts. If the school actually has kids running around garroting people, it's no wonder the librarian has lost her ability to speak rationally.)
#17 of 17 Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 PM

I don't know anyone who would think saying such things would be appropriate.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page