Hair SOS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings, I know there have been other threads regarding hair care here, but I wanted to start fresh as I am not sure I ever found what I needed previously. I think I gathered that many use coconut oil for everything, and it just isn't doing it for us at this time.

Anywho, DH and I (caucasian) have a son age 18 months from Rwanda. He is very dark with beautiful two inch long hair. The hair is soft, and like a lamb (not too thick or stiff) but is getting very dry and tangly. We do not want to shave this, and eventually will likely twist it weekly (he can wear a skullcap at night later in life, but right now it would not work).

I am desperate to know what type of routine I should be following, and what products I might try. I have spent hours and hours online reading, but I can read too many possibilities and without any underlying understanding of a basic protocol, or basic products and what they do, I am lost. Much of what people recommend on other sites are products containing petroleum and mineral oil. Blech.

Right now I do not shampoo ever. I just load him up with gobs of conditioner and finger thru to get the snarls out. Rinse and that is that. I've tried oils in it, but don't feel they absorb at all. Do I need a leave in conditioner/ A hair oil product? A hot oil treatment weekly? HELP!!!

Also, when out in the sun, do I need to protect the hair somehow? He despises hats right now, and the sun seems to totally dry him out.

Lanolin is working well on his body. Just need to figure out the hair routine, fast!

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Clearly I could post this in a better place (I'm guessing since 60 people have looked at this and no responses).

Any ideas where I can get the info I need.. another forum/subgroup?

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#3 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 AM

you could try the Curly girl handbook
#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM

I belong to a yahoo group made up up (mostly) adoptive parents learning to care for their children's hair and skin. I've learned so much from the group. My husband and I are caucasion and my children are Ethiopian.
The yahoo group is called adoptionhair_skincare.
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM

We've had many a good conversation on hair care around these parts. This one is one of my famorites and I hope this helps you!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...highlight=hair

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 PM

For products I love Mixed Chicks which is a great line designed for multiracial people who have varying degrees of coil. They have products for men and pictures and tutorials on use for children. It is also important not to wash more than once a week and to keep the hair moisturized with things like hot oil treatments (use warm oil on smaller children) which can be made inexpensively at home using olive oil and a couple of drops of lavender for improved scalp circulation. Keep in mind that when it comes to curly hair, water is not the enemy. I have to thoroughly wet (to the point of soaking) my hair everyday when I wear it curly. Aside from helping the hair to look better it also improves my scalp's condition. Use conditioner and water daily and wash once a week. The main thing is to find a product that really coats and conditions the hair (and even *gasp*) builds up a bit. For me this improves manageability 100%.

Good Luck!

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Although the oils may not feel like they are doing anything, I would not toss them out. But I would switch to jojoba oil. It is one of the few that is actually absorbed by the hair shaft. I use it at the recommendation of my stylist. I don't feel the difference, but she does. And she never recommends a deep conditioner for me as she says my hair is healthy. And, she works for herself, so, it's only money out of her pocket to not give me the deep conditioner. No benefit to her to forgo this.

Air is the most drying thing for coarse hair. So, whether it be heat, sun or wind, the hair will only benefit from being covered. Unlike straight hair, coarse, kinky or curly hair traps the oils at the base of the hair shaft. The oils cannot slide down the coiled hairshaft. Therefore, pay attention to the ends of his hair as best you can. They dry out the fastest. As for leave in conditioners, make sure they are formulated for leaving it. Otherwise, a non-leave in conditioner can actually damage his hair.

Oh, and wash no more than once a week - again, trying to avoid drying out the hair - unless he's been in the sand box or something like that! And, it may help to massage his scalp. That will help to distribute the oils on his scalp through his hair. My son is 17 mos and HATES having his hair combed. He cries terribly. As cute as it was, I felt I had to cut it off. It just wasn't worth the distress maintaining it seemed to cause him.

HTH!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page