Need Help: Collecting "Pet Names" From Other Languages - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to write my son a short story for his first birthday. The concept is based around exploring baby "pet names" from other languages/cultures. For instance, my husband is Chinese and his parents call the baby "Little Treasure" in Mandarin. I thought it would be sweet to include similar types of references from around the world... but need to solicit some help

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer, in any language! Just need the pet name spelled out in the original language (anglicized if possible) and then the translation. If you'd like also, I can post the finished document when complete!

Thanks so much for your help!!
#2 of 21 Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Some very common ones --
Brazilian Portuguese: Filhinho [fee-LEE-nyo] (little son)
Spanish: Mijo [MEE-ho] (my son)
Also "Querido" in both languages (beloved)

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
#3 of 21 Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 AM

Beloved is pretty much universal in Arabic as well ... habibi / habibti (masculine / feminine forms).
#4 of 21 Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your responses, this is exactly what I was looking for! Appreciate it!!
#5 of 21 Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Tamil (south India)

Chellam - little sweetie
Vairum - diamond
Puttu - silk
Tungam - gold
#6 of 21 Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Italian:

piccino/a: little one
angioletto: little angel
bambola/bambolina: doll, little doll (usually only for girls, but I swear I've heard bambolotto for a boy baby at least once)
stella/stellina: star, little star (I've only heard this one for girls)
amore: love
tesoro/tesoruccio: treasure/little treasure
#7 of 21 Old 06-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Mija/mijita/mijo/mijito- my daughter/my little daughter/my son...
La gorda/el gordo- the fat one (very common, even if not really very chubby)
La flaca/el flaco- skinny one (see above)
Chaparrita- shorty (girls)
Adjective or noun + ita/ito/illa/illo (ex. chiquita- little girl, güerita- little white girl) = endearment

j is pronounced like h, ll pronounced like y

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#8 of 21 Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 PM

My mom still calls me both of these

Russian:

Solnishko - "little sun"
Lastochka - "bird swallow"

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#9 of 21 Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
French: Mon petit chou: (Mohwn pah-tee shoe) "My little cabbage" (I know it sounds silly, but it's actually a very common one )

I wish I could remember the Spanish word my Mexican friend told me for "little chubby cheeks". I used to call my daughter by that all the time when she was an infant. Maybe someone here knows the word I'm talking about!

And adding to pear-shaped's list, "Bella/bello" - means "beautiful" in Italian. My husband's grandmother called my son "stella de Nonna" (grandma's star) and she calls my daughter "Bella". So we have "stella & bella"

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#10 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM

In addition to habibi/habibti in Arabic, moms will call their children 'mama' and dads will call their children 'baba' (papa), and it's treated like a term of endearment. So, when my MIL speaks to my husband, she'll address him as 'ya mama'.
#11 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 03:07 PM

My Greek in-laws use "kukla" (doll) and "chuppee" (not sure what this one means, but it's definitely an endearment!) for my daughter.
#12 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 03:11 PM

In French there's also:

Ma biche (deer)
Mon petit loulou (loulou is sort of like kid, I guess)
Ma puce (puce is a louse, as in singular of lice. Don't ask me!)
Mon petit bonhomme (little guy)

Mon chou/ le bout de chou is the most common though.

In Arabic, as others have said, habibi/habibti.
#13 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen'nZoe View Post
In addition to habibi/habibti in Arabic, moms will call their children 'mama' and dads will call their children 'baba' (papa), and it's treated like a term of endearment. So, when my MIL speaks to my husband, she'll address him as 'ya mama'.
When I was living in Egypt everyone was calling young men "son" (yabny) as a term of familiarity. All day long between friends and family just yabny, yabny, yabny. So sort of similar. This last time I went there was nary a "yabny" to be heard, and instead everyone is calling each other "sesame" (simsim). I'm sure there's a slang backstory on that somewhere, but I never caught it.
#14 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
When I was living in Egypt everyone was calling young men "son" (yabny) as a term of familiarity. All day long between friends and family just yabny, yabny, yabny. So sort of similar. This last time I went there was nary a "yabny" to be heard, and instead everyone is calling each other "sesame" (simsim). I'm sure there's a slang backstory on that somewhere, but I never caught it.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm not sure whether the 'mama' 'baba' thing is universally Arab or regional. My MIL is Palestinian, living in Jordan, and this is definitely something common to the Palestinian-Jordanians we know. Oh - and she calls my kids 'taytah' (grandma). I assume that if my FIL were still alive, he'd call them 'zhido' (grandpa).
#15 of 21 Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Some Italians do something similar when speaking to children. I'm pretty sure it's a regional thing. When my husband speaks to dd he often adds "a papà" to the end of whatever he says. When he speaks to his nephews he adds "al zio."
#16 of 21 Old 06-30-2010, 03:37 AM

My Lebanese ILs do this. The boys are "teta" and "jiddo", and my MIL calls DH "mama".

Another term to address people is y'ammi (ammo = uncle)-- DH calls our sons this, jokingly.

Quote:
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm not sure whether the 'mama' 'baba' thing is universally Arab or regional. My MIL is Palestinian, living in Jordan, and this is definitely something common to the Palestinian-Jordanians we know. Oh - and she calls my kids 'taytah' (grandma). I assume that if my FIL were still alive, he'd call them 'zhido' (grandpa).
#17 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

some from peru:
mi calato: my naked one- usually used for newborns or young babies

mamita/papito or mami/papi: little mama, little papa -used for little kids

china- means 'chinese' but its a term of endearment for a little girl

chibolo- slang for little kids

Quote:
I wish I could remember the Spanish word my Mexican friend told me for "little chubby cheeks". I used to call my daughter by that all the time when she was an infant. Maybe someone here knows the word I'm talking about!
was it cacheton? that means chubby cheeks and we called our son that this very morning!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#18 of 21 Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't know if you're still collecting, but we're in Germany, and my husband calls our DS "Mops", which means pug (like the dogs whose faces look like they've just slammed into a wall). He says it's a really common term of endearment. He also uses it in the diminuitive "Möpschen", pronounced kind of like MUPPS-shin. The cutest is when he says "kleine Mops-Maus-Mann" ="little pug-mouse-man"

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#19 of 21 Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Fay

My ILs used to call DH "DiDi," which I believe is "little emperor" in Mandarin or Taiwanese. Very common for an only son, and believe me, they defer to him like he's an emperor.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#20 of 21 Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 PM

My DH is from Puerto Rico and he calls our older son papito (pahPEEtoh), which means little papi or father. I think it's odd, but I know it's very common!

We call our younger son chiquitin (cheeky-TEEN). It means little one. DS1 hears it as "Chickyding", so we also call the baby that a lot.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#21 of 21 Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
My ILs used to call DH "DiDi," which I believe is "little emperor" in Mandarin or Taiwanese. Very common for an only son, and believe me, they defer to him like he's an emperor.
I don't know if there is a more complex etymology involved in this but "didi" in Mandarin means "little brother." Along with "mei-mei" (little sister), these seem to be ubiquitous ways of addressing little boys or girls (no matter your relationship to them) with affection. At least in Taiwan, where I lived.

Also in Mandarin you can say "bao-bao" which I think of us meaning like "baby" or "darling" but I think it literally means "little jewel" or "little treasure."

In the Iberian Spanish spoken by my DP, chubby-cheeks are called "mofletes" so "chubby-cheeked" might be mofletudo/a or mofletón/a? "Cachetón"--I hadn't heard that but I love it! There are so many regional difference with Spanish, though, eh?

My DP calls my dd "princesa," "reina," (queen, literally--but used more like we'd say "darling" or something in English) or "guapa," (pretty).

He calls our son a lot of names but I don't know if most of them would go in your book since they aren't strictly, conventionally affectionate although he is very funny and he means them that way:

"cagoncete" ("pooper")
tío (literally "uncle," but more like "guy" or something in English)
chaval (kid, pal)
"dormilón" ("sleeper")
jefe ("boss")
"llorón" ("crier")

Mama to a beautiful girl since May 2007 and a beautiful boy since August 2010! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page