Is there a good BASIC Latin American cookbook...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-11-2010, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Because I've had Hispanic friends and boyfriends, I know enough to know that there are foods that are just VERY BASIC things that are eaten in different Hispanic cultures... taquitos, sofritos (or is it sofritas? the spice mixture?), etc.

But I'm looking for a cookbook that kind of lays all of that out for me. First, I actually really love the food. But second, I'd like us to be eating these things as my daughter (adopted and Hispanic) grows up and I no longer have anyone close to me to tap for these things.

Thoughts? Like a "for dummies" book? (which I already looked for)

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#2 of 5 Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What countries in particular are you interested in? I have to admit, corn/gluten/dairy-free may be very challenging.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 5 Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know what you mean - you want the basic, everyday recipes that people cook at home. I've looked too -- it's hard to find a book like that. I lived in Ecuador for several years and loved the home cooking. This blog has a few great recipes -- I especially like the bean stew/menestra: http://laylita.com/recipes/ Oh, the "secos" are good too.

HTH!

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#4 of 5 Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, what do you mean by Hispanic? Central American? Spanish-speaking Caribbean? South American? Andean? Mexican?

There is a huge variety in "Latin/Hispanic" cooking, so narrowing down a region would be useful. For example, a tortilla in Mexico is the usual corn flatbread. Tortilla in Peru refers to a flat omelette usually with veggies and perhaps some fish. Central American food relies a lot on corn and beans...Coastal South American food much more on rice and fish and plantains.

raising my two sunshine children.

#5 of 5 Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah, you know what? I apologize... I should've clarified. And actually, my daughter doesn't have those allergies, my son does. Often, I can work around recipes when they call for an ingredient he can't eat. But sometimes we "test" his intolerances by giving him some. So please don't even think of that. I'm more interested in the authentic food/recipes for her.

I would really be looking for Central American. We know her mother was from Guatemala but her father could be from anywhere between there and the US. We strongly suspect he was/is Hispanic but nobody knows... so I'm going with what I know.

Thank you for the link, though.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page