What does doing your Childs hair sound like at your house? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh..

In preparation for the first day of school tomorrow, I had to do 7yo dd and 5yo dd's hair. I dread it because it's always a struggle. They are biracial... Black and white...their hair is suuuper curly and super thick. It's always a struggle and never without screaming and crying. I feel horrible.. But I have to do it. I have tried so many things and nothing us perfect. So, what does it sound like in your house? Better than mine, I hope? Got any tricks?

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#2 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 AM

Daughter has very thick and curly hair. I usually brush her hair in front of TV after showring and it's not a problem. At night we put her hair up and it's easier to handle in the morning:-)

CarSeat.se - Rear Facing Car Seats ⢠55 lbs Rear Facing Car Seats
Annika: 3.5 years RF Britax Hi-Way ⢠Daniel: 6 years FF Britax Adventure
#3 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
screaming, lots.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#4 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 09:03 AM

My DD isn't mixed race and she screams the house down! She has my fine, flyaway, curly hair which mats up SO easily. Leave-in conditioners don't help, all that helps is loading it with rinse-out conditioner whenever i wash it, combing it as gently as possible when wet (which i know is bad for the hair!) and then keeping it braided all the time.
#5 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 PM

DS is easy

DD has thick, thick curly hair and is full AA. She is young still and I make it a routine to do her hair every morning and comb through and condition every night. So she doesn't complain, she knows even at age one she has to sit there. I use a lot of conditioner and make sure I start at the ends and then comb my way up.
I always make sure I have used enough conditioner. My hair is curly and I use a spray leave-in conditioner. I am a big fan of leaving the conditioner in also when I wash. I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration and don't rinse out.
If you condition and then loosely braid at night, in the morning you can put in pony tails pretty easily. What sites have you used for hair care, I feel like I read a million blogs on hair care and still don't have it 100% right though.

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

#6 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
My DD isn't mixed race and she screams the house down! She has my fine, flyaway, curly hair which mats up SO easily. Leave-in conditioners don't help, all that helps is loading it with rinse-out conditioner whenever i wash it, combing it as gently as possible when wet (which i know is bad for the hair!) and then keeping it braided all the time.
This is pretty much us. My 12yo dd has her hair flat ironed every two weeks.. Her choice, not mine. She takes care of it.

7yo dd would loooove to wear her hair out, but it would get so knotty and matted in just an hour that I would drive myself crazy! It stays on pigtail braids.

My 5yo dd really wants to wear her hair out but we have the same problem as her big sis.

I use a leave in moisturizer on their hair. Kids organics by africas bestshea butter detangling moisturizing hair lotion. It's a clear bottle with a bright green cap. Best stuff ever...I hope they never Stop making it. I don't know what we'll do. Lots of conditioner like everyone else too.

I have tried to read about it but I come up short too. Everyone is always talking about a different product and I can never make up my mind so I just did trial and error until we found what we use now.. Which I will never stop using... Awesome stuff right there.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#7 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 12:30 AM

My 2yo has thick straight hair. You'd think it would be manageable, but the thickness of it is ridiculous and causes a ton of matts and tangles.

Trying to brush or comb it sounds somewhat like I'm trying to amputate her leg. It's terrible. I can't imagine what it'd be like if she had curly hair.

My 8 month old's hair is leaning towards being like her grandma's hair- super curly and thick. She was born with it slightly matted and nappy, though now its straight/wavy but curls up when wet. I'm not looking forward to combing-time with her.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#8 of 9 Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Banned

It sounds like my dd is being tortured. Or, possibly, eaten alive. Once when we were running late, I tried getting her to brush her hair in the car on the way to school, which ended in an attempt to do her hair in the school parking lot. That was a mistake.

I had some longer-than-short term success bribing her with glitter spray - if she washed her hair every night, and brushed it out in the morning, she could have glitter in her hair.
#9 of 9 Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My sd is pretty good, at eight y.o. She's mixed, and has super thick, curly hair. Our neighbor is mixed, too, and does her dd's hair beautifully. She offered to do sd's hair, and I said great, thinking I could get some pointers. She was yanking so hard and fast, she had to shake out her hand! The woman hurt her own Hand combing the poor girl's hair so hard! I don't care if the frizz takes a day or two longer to overwhelm those braids- never again.

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page