Speak-pals! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a great idea that you've probably already thought of, speak-pals!

Like penpals, only you use Skype. And it'd be for kids to have more practice with their minority language(s), plus give some motivation and help in developing a richer vocabulary in that language.

I don't know how you'd set that up. Maybe email teachers for your child's age level in the relevant country?
#2 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

That's a cool idea! Why not just see if there are kids that have the same languages and are about the same age and try and match them up? You could also set up a group thing. For instance, say, a number of kids want to work on Spanish, why not let them all go on skype at the same time (I think that's possible, right?). It would be nice for moms with younger kids who probably couldn't really participate in speaking with other kids yet but could benefit from listening. You'd probably want to limit the number of participants on at a time (maybe two speaking kids and a couple of babies/toddlers?). Just a thought...
#3 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM
EVC

Quote:
t would be nice for moms with younger kids who probably couldn't really participate in speaking with other kids yet but could benefit from listening.
I don't know how well it would work with younger kids, to be honest. My dd (who will turn 5 later this month) has tried Skype'ing with friends before and it really didn't work. For example, her best friend from pre-school moved this summer--they both missed each other so much, that we set up a Skype date. They were happy to see each other at first, but after maybe three or four minutes, they both sort of wandered away from the computer to play. They really weren't into that kind of interaction and couldn't really focus on computer based communication.

Part obviously is personality, and some young kids may be able to engage, but I think this idea would work a lot better for slightly older kids (maybe 10 or so?) who might feel more accustomed to being at the computer and communicating in this way.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#4 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, with younger kids about the only thing that'd work would be if the person on the other side of the screen did a puppet show.Well, and toddlers would love to hold stuff up and ask "what's this?" and that'd at least build vocab.
#5 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
I don't know how well it would work with younger kids, to be honest. My dd (who will turn 5 later this month) has tried Skype'ing with friends before and it really didn't work. For example, her best friend from pre-school moved this summer--they both missed each other so much, that we set up a Skype date. They were happy to see each other at first, but after maybe three or four minutes, they both sort of wandered away from the computer to play. They really weren't into that kind of interaction and couldn't really focus on computer based communication.
ITA. Mine are 3 and 5. They are very computer literate, but skype did not do much for them. After a few minutes they were done and wanted to go off and do something else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page