Language Learning Connundrum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-03-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband just got his green card and we will now be spending most of our time here in the US. We want our dd (now 9mo) to be bilingual, but my husband must learn English (we are not in a state that tolerates people who don't speak English, and also, he just WANTS to learn it). In order for him to continue with his English, we really need to speak it as much as possible (at least, that's how I learned Spanish). But I fear that if we don't constantly use Spanish, DD will only pick up on the English that she is otherwise exclusively exposed to. So what do we do? Speak English for my husband or speak Spanish for our DD?

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have your DH speak Spanish to your daughter 100% of the time and make sure there are interesting things available in Spanish (books, music, screen time when she's older).

My 2 get along great in English and I'm their only regular exposure to it apart from family visits. I'm super conscientious about speaking it to them all the time and we spend a lot of time together. Our house is full of books and DVDs and music in English (although we use our local library tons too, and at this point I read aloud in whatever language is printed on the page)

Maybe you can engage in Spanish with the books and music to build up her exposure a bit as English will come regardless for her as it will become the dominant language. Also, after every visit, we saw big language strides for the kids when they were first talking

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page