Toddler not understanding grandparents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this board.

We recently moved back to Japan--DH's country--and have been practicing the minority-language approach, speaking only English at home. DD is 23 months old and sees her grandparents (who only speak Japanese to her) at least once a week, but to be honest, I'm not sure if she understands any of what they say. My parents recently came to visit and I couldn't help noticing how much closer DD instantly seemed to them, despite the fact that in the past seven months, she's seen way more of my in-laws. And I wonder, does language have something to do with that? Is she perhaps not bonding as closely to them because she doesn't understand them?

I know the problem will eventually sort itself out, but I wonder if I need to be doing more to help DD's Japanese comprehension.
#2 of 4 Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 AM

At 23 months, if she hasn't already she'll quickly start picking up her grandparent's language, or at least the gist of what they're saying.

IMO, that she seems "closer" to your parents is more likely to be related to cultural things--how people conduct relationships and how they show affection.  Also, her Japanese grandparents are still fairly new people to her, so she's still getting to know them. 

If the only place she gets English is at home, she'll pick up Japanese (at least spoken/comprehension) pretty quickly. 

#3 of 4 Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I never learned my grandmother's language (to my everlasting regret) and she never learned English beyond a few phrases. She loved her grandchildren fiercely though and we all knew it. She was a favourite in the family: a tiny women with a huge spirit who had survived all sorts of incredible hardships.  She was absolutely adored by all her grandchildren (almost all of English-only speakers).  

Language can be a barrier, but it doesn't have to be. I wish I could have heard some of her stories straight from her. I'm sure she would have had a lot of wisdom to pass along too. We found other ways to communicate though. The core essence of a strong grandparent-grandchild bond was always there.  

In your case, the language barrier is temporary since your dd will probably learn to speak Japanese soon, especially if she meets some local children for playdates or attends some play groups. 

#4 of 4 Old 11-10-2010, 06:29 AM

Funny you should post this now. My in-laws just arrived for a 10 day visit. They don't speak English. My kids don't speak their language(anymore, my older DS used to). 

They definitely have a better relationship with my parents, and part of that is the shared language. But it's also that my parents are just better with them. My in-laws' idea of spending time with the kids is putting a movie on for them to watch. That's not gonna help much. 

I think your child will pick up the language if he's exposed to it. My older son learned to speak the in-laws' language because he was around them frequently, and even that was his only exposure to the language. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page