Hair! White mama doesn't know what she's doing with DD's African hair :) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this thread is a little dated, but I had to share another great product.  There's a great, all-natural line called Oyin (www.oyinhandmade.com) - a family-owned business out of Baltimore, MD.  Their products are all natural and food grade - my little one is 18 months old, and still puts everything in her mouth.  Can be a little pricey, but they often have coupon codes in their podcasts and FB page. Their products use shea butter, oils, and other good moisturizers for African hair (the kid's got 100% West African hair). I use it on my hair too - we love the Hair Dew, Whipped Pudding (for hair and skin), pomade and juices for spritizing and refreshing.  But I should have thought about going the no-poo route and just using conditioner - I'm going to try that next week!

For bands, I use the smallest Goody bands - they don't turn to goo, and if they get caught, they're easy to snip out.

Anyone have luck with getting/keeping lint out of their little one's hair?  It doesn't seem to come out, even when I wash... or it might just be all the rolling around she's doing.

#32 of 39 Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not going to mimic a lot of what was already said, but I have tried and liked a little of each of Carol's Daughter and mixed chicks products, although there are pros and cons to each and I can't give them glowing recommendations but I have and do enjoy especially the hair detangler by CD and mixed chicks leave in. It is trial and error and being familiar with what ingredients are and how they react in the hair, etc. Not all mixed hair is the same, either, so again, keep trying, keep learning. Coconut oil can really come in handy, too. My greatest suggestion is the products made by this smaller company and mainly online for purchase - I can personally vouch for the amazing stuff - and it is WAY more natural than any of the above products just mentioned...these are truly homemade. http://www.oyinhandmade.com/about/

We are a black/white family and although I only have sons, they've had long curls of different types at various times and their hair is quite diff from each other, too! I've tried a lot of hairstyles and thankful that now we're in a lower maintenance spot, but I guess I'm lucky with boys I can buzz it off if I want, too! My youngest has shorter spirals right now and looks cute no matter what I do. But moisture is a friend.

I had to respond and vouch for Oyin because it is through them we've gotten our very favorite stuff. ***Greg juice, burnt sugar pomade or something, honey hemp conditioner! I dig it all. I can find ways to use on my sister in laws hair, too, and my own actually - so it may work all across the board depending on what your purpose is, yk?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#33 of 39 Old 06-11-2012, 09:07 AM

I have to second the Carol's Daughter products which can also be ordered at www.carolsdaughter.com.  They are wholesome products.  Nothing icky even though she is carried by suppliers that offer it.  Also, no rubber bands.  They break the hair off because of the wave/curl pattern.  The hair simply can't tolerate them.  I hope this helps!

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#34 of 39 Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM

I'm black / polynesian and DH is white.  I'm curious to see how our little girl's hair will be textured.

Before I loc'd my hair I did no poo' (still do, actually) with an ACV rinse, used a marshmallow root detangler / conditioner (Google for recipes) and used coconut oil or jojoba for a moisturizer or deep conditioning treatment.  I've turned on several people to that routine.  One of my co-worker's recently converted and has a nice, fluffy fro now after stopping the texturizers and going no poo'.  :)

Hope you find what works best for your kiddo's hair!  My mom is black but was awful with haircare when I was a kid.  She would wash and braid my hair only once a week because it was always such a struggle.  She never combed from ends to root, so it was liked being strapped in a torture chamber for me!

#35 of 39 Old 07-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Cover it when shes asleep with a silk scarf on her head--it will tangle less. Not sure what hair type your daughter has. I will say about how you think its not dry---i thought same about my daughters silky, fine curls (like jeri curl size) I was wrong. Now I only wash her hair with shampoo once a week at most. other days, I cowash wiht just conditioner, add a leave in (i like olive oil hair cream) and then a curl sealer on top. I dont bother sectioning and combing, braids or anything yet. I dont cover her head at night but it doesnt get too tangled, just fuzzy and I can add water and conditioner and its good as new.

#36 of 39 Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 PM

If she's reluctant to wear the do-wrap at night, or if it doesn't stay on, you can get some benefit from using one of those slippery pillow cases.

Unfortunately happygirlhair.com is not operational anymore.  It had some fantastic video tutorials.

#37 of 39 Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM

I am a black mama of a blond spirally curled biracial daughter. I use the same hair products and techniques for both of us. My hair is course and tightly spiralled. Here's what I do:

Wash with Organic Essence Coconut shampoo and condition in 1 to 4 sections depending on the length and thickness.

Use wide tooth comb to detangle while rinsing out conditioner.

Apply dime size squirt of almond oil and Knot Today by Kinky Curly to each section.

Twist or braid.

I only leave my own braids for 3-4 days because I sweat alot and I need to wash 2 times a week. My dd gets lots of tangles and is prone to lice, so I do her 3 times a week. Our hair is thick and full and shiny. It's not greasy.

I love almond oil. You can try coconut oil in the summer time, too.

Good luck!

#38 of 39 Old 08-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Join our community on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.  

It is an online community dedicated to teaching non-African-American parents

of African American and biracial girls simple steps to caring for

and styling their daughter's hair.  

Allow us to assist you in the unique haircare needs of your

African-American daughter

#39 of 39 Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 PM

do you wrap her head at night? Try a silk scarf on her head at night. that will help

Tags
Natural Hair Care , Giovanni Hair Care , Giovanni Hair Care Tea Tree Conditioner Triple Treatment 8 Fl Oz Liquid , Organics Hair Care Red Raspberry Conditioner 8 Fl Oz , Desert Essence Organics Hair Care Shampoo Red Raspberry 8 Ounce , Natural Body Care

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page