Mothering Forum banner
9K views 38 replies 32 participants last post by  kgdg 
#1 ·
HELP! Seriously. I love my daughter's hair, really I do. I am just clueless, LOL.

I'm learning a lot of cute little parts and braids, even cornrows.

I don't know what to use on her hair.

I want to maybe order the Mixed Chicks conditioner.

I have some "hair grease" stuff from an African store that her dad bought and says he does not use.

This seems to be---just from my trying to use it--a product that's meant to be used on dry hair?

So.....am I supposed to wash, detangle while wet and conditioned, and then will her braids stay in better and her hair stay healthier if I comb something like this into it when I'm about to braid her hair?

I have heard rumors that braids and styles will stay in for at least a week, up to several weeks, if done right.

I have TRIED to take my dd to people here, but I haven't found anyone who knows what they are doing. (In other words, nobody that knows what they are doing with her hair type. People who *do* know how to cornrow, but I'm sick of paying money to have it look crappy and be falling out within a day or two. I think I could accomplish that MYSELF for FREE thanks.)

If it would help to see pics of her and her hair type, PM me and I'll send the info you need to find us on Facebook. I have lots of pics. :)

We are both sick and tired of constantly tangled hair. Also, what kind of rubberbands do you use if you leave it in a long time? The last ones I used were in a couple weeks (I have a little baby, I sort of overlooked her hair...) and they left this goo in her hair....combo of the rubberbands and the stuff i used? I don't know but it looked disgusting and was hard to comb out, so I'd like to avoid that. :)

Sophia 4 (had to type her own name! :) )

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooopsy View Post

i wanted to try sheabutter too and was wondering: where do you buy organic shea butter ??
I had luck ordering some online, and I'm in Australia so if you can get it here I'm certain you will be able to find some in the US, just google 'organic shea butter'. Mine came in a huge glass tub that lasted forever. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would though, its kid of grainy and takes a lot of rubbing to get it to un-solidify.

#28 ·
thanks :) What we're doing right now that seems to be working well is conditioner washing with Dove conditioner--I'm not going to get up and go look at it right now, but it says "detangling" or "curly hair" on it, it's not just the "normal" one. about once a week. Whenever I think it's necessary, I shampoo first with JASON kids' shampoo--no laureth sulfate ingredients in that. Probably ends up being 2-3 times a month?

I think I haven't used enough oil on it in the past. I just watched her Sudanese auntie do her hair, she used a TON of oil and it looks gorgeous. We'll see how long it stays in. She used some stuff she got at Family Dollar, an oil and a lotion-looking product. I read the ingredients, both appear to be a bunch of chemicals with a bit of coconut oil.

I have started using coconut oil on her, the same stuff I cook with, but wouldn't mind finding a less-costly but still unrefined product for hair and sunscreen purposes. I think I'll stick with it, but use a LOT more of it....so far we have not had a problem with it going solid. I can imagine that might look disgusting LOL (I only recently started cooking with it too, that's why I never tried it out before ;) )

#31 ·
I know this thread is a little dated, but I had to share another great product. There's a great, all-natural line called Oyin (www.oyinhandmade.com) - a family-owned business out of Baltimore, MD. Their products are all natural and food grade - my little one is 18 months old, and still puts everything in her mouth. Can be a little pricey, but they often have coupon codes in their podcasts and FB page. Their products use shea butter, oils, and other good moisturizers for African hair (the kid's got 100% West African hair). I use it on my hair too - we love the Hair Dew, Whipped Pudding (for hair and skin), pomade and juices for spritizing and refreshing. But I should have thought about going the no-poo route and just using conditioner - I'm going to try that next week!

For bands, I use the smallest Goody bands - they don't turn to goo, and if they get caught, they're easy to snip out.

Anyone have luck with getting/keeping lint out of their little one's hair? It doesn't seem to come out, even when I wash... or it might just be all the rolling around she's doing.

#32 ·
Not going to mimic a lot of what was already said, but I have tried and liked a little of each of Carol's Daughter and mixed chicks products, although there are pros and cons to each and I can't give them glowing recommendations but I have and do enjoy especially the hair detangler by CD and mixed chicks leave in. It is trial and error and being familiar with what ingredients are and how they react in the hair, etc. Not all mixed hair is the same, either, so again, keep trying, keep learning. Coconut oil can really come in handy, too. My greatest suggestion is the products made by this smaller company and mainly online for purchase - I can personally vouch for the amazing stuff - and it is WAY more natural than any of the above products just mentioned...these are truly homemade. http://www.oyinhandmade.com/about/

We are a black/white family and although I only have sons, they've had long curls of different types at various times and their hair is quite diff from each other, too! I've tried a lot of hairstyles and thankful that now we're in a lower maintenance spot, but I guess I'm lucky with boys I can buzz it off if I want, too! My youngest has shorter spirals right now and looks cute no matter what I do. But moisture is a friend.

I had to respond and vouch for Oyin because it is through them we've gotten our very favorite stuff. ***Greg juice, burnt sugar pomade or something, honey hemp conditioner! I dig it all. I can find ways to use on my sister in laws hair, too, and my own actually - so it may work all across the board depending on what your purpose is, yk?

#33 ·
I have to second the Carol's Daughter products which can also be ordered at www.carolsdaughter.com. They are wholesome products. Nothing icky even though she is carried by suppliers that offer it. Also, no rubber bands. They break the hair off because of the wave/curl pattern. The hair simply can't tolerate them. I hope this helps!

#34 ·
I'm black / polynesian and DH is white. I'm curious to see how our little girl's hair will be textured.

Before I loc'd my hair I did no poo' (still do, actually) with an ACV rinse, used a marshmallow root detangler / conditioner (Google for recipes) and used coconut oil or jojoba for a moisturizer or deep conditioning treatment. I've turned on several people to that routine. One of my co-worker's recently converted and has a nice, fluffy fro now after stopping the texturizers and going no poo'. :)

Hope you find what works best for your kiddo's hair! My mom is black but was awful with haircare when I was a kid. She would wash and braid my hair only once a week because it was always such a struggle. She never combed from ends to root, so it was liked being strapped in a torture chamber for me!

#35 ·
Cover it when shes asleep with a silk scarf on her head--it will tangle less. Not sure what hair type your daughter has. I will say about how you think its not dry---i thought same about my daughters silky, fine curls (like jeri curl size) I was wrong. Now I only wash her hair with shampoo once a week at most. other days, I cowash wiht just conditioner, add a leave in (i like olive oil hair cream) and then a curl sealer on top. I dont bother sectioning and combing, braids or anything yet. I dont cover her head at night but it doesnt get too tangled, just fuzzy and I can add water and conditioner and its good as new.

#37 ·
I am a black mama of a blond spirally curled biracial daughter. I use the same hair products and techniques for both of us. My hair is course and tightly spiralled. Here's what I do:

Wash with Organic Essence Coconut shampoo and condition in 1 to 4 sections depending on the length and thickness.

Use wide tooth comb to detangle while rinsing out conditioner.

Apply dime size squirt of almond oil and Knot Today by Kinky Curly to each section.

Twist or braid.

I only leave my own braids for 3-4 days because I sweat alot and I need to wash 2 times a week. My dd gets lots of tangles and is prone to lice, so I do her 3 times a week. Our hair is thick and full and shiny. It's not greasy.

I love almond oil. You can try coconut oil in the summer time, too.

Good luck!

#38 ·
Join our community on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

It is an online community dedicated to teaching non-African-American parents

of African American and biracial girls simple steps to caring for

and styling their daughter's hair.

Allow us to assist you in the unique haircare needs of your

African-American daughter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.