How do your toddlers talk about the differences they see in people? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-27-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My other kids never really did this, but my 2 year old DS2 does...

for example, on our DVR we have this episode of Jack's Big Music Show that he loves.  There are two song clips in the video.

One is sung by a group of Af-Am men, the other is a white woman.  DS2 has labeled the first one "The Daddy song" and the 2nd "The Mommy song"--it's been there for *months* that's something he came up with at like 18 months old.

The other thing is when he sees people dressed in obviously Islamic clothes on TV, in real life, whatever   "Salaam alaikum!  Dat salaam alaikum!" 

I love hearing him...and yes, I give the adult spin on it but it's adorable to hear his interpretations.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2011, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 4yo dss has a black dad and a white mom, too. He always says black men are "black like daddy", but he claims that he is NOT black. He's mixed! Which makes sense for him, because his dad is Cameroonian, so he's "all black". I don't think he realizes that most American blacks are mixed like him! His grandparents and uncles, too, are Muslim, and all very traditional. His grandma sits in the back seat of cars and walks four paces behind her husband, always keeps her head covered. If he sees someone in hijab, he tells me the woman is from the mosque. I've never heard my step kids repeat Arabic or Hausa words- that would be so cute to hear salaam alaikum from a two year old!

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
#3 of 5 Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you think his mother instills this in him?  I know many people tend to do this because they do want the child to know and understand both sides of himself, but many people don't realize how "mixed" black people in America really are. The complexity of race in America probably hasn't affected him yet, so in his mind, he is mixed, but if things continue as they are, he might see things differently as he gets older. 

#4 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM

I'm not sure if his mom has anything to do with it- he's four, and she has only seen him three times in the last two years. I think he made it up on his own, not understanding that most black people are mixed. Most of the black people he knows are "all black". He's fascinated with Hip Hop and Rap (I have scrounged for kid friendly hip hop music) and I notice that he wants to watch shows/movies about black men over and over- so he obviously identifies himself as a future black man! But still, no one can tell him he's black- he insists that he not. Maybe part of it is the area where we live- the kids all seem highly oblivious to racial issues, because there is no overt racism in their world. My daughter doesn't even know to use the term black. If she is describing a black kid physically, she mentions their "black" features in the same terms as their other characteristics. She'll say, "This girl is big, she has dark skin, and she wears lots of braids". I like that race doesn't have a place in her thinking, but it's also odd, like how can anyone have missed the whole race thing?

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 PM

Oh, Joates, I don't think you were talking to me!  Sheepish.gif

Tags
Chinese Adoption A Mini Guide , West Meets East Americans Adopt Chinese Children , Adventures In Mandarin Chinese The Fox And The Goat Volume 1 , Melanie And Me A Chinese Daughter Transforms Her Adoptive Dad , Silent Tears A Journey Of Hope In A Chinese Orphanage , Fertility Wisdom How Traditional Chinese Medicine Can Help Overcome Infertility

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page