"mixed kids are cuter" ?! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 158 Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 AM
2xy
 
2xy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by indie View Post

I do think in general people like "mixed children" because they have white features and tan skin which is what is held up as the ideal in our culture.

 

Well...maybe. There is a lot of mixing going on besides just black and white, though. I do know some biracial people who are black and white. I also know biracial people who are Asian and white or Asian and black....and they don't have the sort of combination you're talking about. My kids have some cousins who have a white dad and Filipino mom, and their features are definitely not white....they are a mix of both. And yeah, they ARE beautiful girls. But there are other beautiful girls in our family who are not mixed.

 

And my friend at work, who is black and Chinese....looks neither black nor Chinese. A lot of Hispanics try to speak Spanish to her and call her Mami. lol.gif
 

 

2xy is offline  
#62 of 158 Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 AM
 
motherhendoula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: LawnGuyLand
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I realize this is a serious conversation and a serious topic  - but if i may make light for just a second....

My cousin is bi-racial and was, in fact, the CUTEST baby we had ever seen in our family ...(in a period of 6 years i had 7 cousins and 2 brothers born...out of all 9 J was hands down the cutest baby)  - the family still talks about what a cute baby he was. 

Today - he is a 30 yr old insurance salesman - and frankly, not very attractive at all. 

 

I have only heard that expression "biracial babies are the cutest"  once, prior to reading this post and it was from an older substitute teacher who (i think)  was trying to demonstrate to our Social Studies class  that she was in fact - not a racist -

As if by her saying this blanket compliment to all biracial children - she was ALSO saying that she 'approved' of the creation of biracial babies.  - this was quite a few years ago (early 80's) when - it seemed to me - many people were more comfortable with their overt and covert racism.  


Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula
 

motherhendoula is offline  
#63 of 158 Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
 
JFTB1177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well I have all boys but I get that alllll the time ("mixed babies are the cutest!") etc and it bothers me too, but I just shrug it off. People are always saying how cute our boys are (I am white/dh is black) and I know they mean well. But yes, it bothers me too. I usually don't respond when uncomfortable comments are made.

 

My youngest (4 months) has bluish-gray eyes and gets sooooo many comments about how beautiful they are (my other boys have brown like me- I think he got the blue eyes from my mom). They ARE beautiful but the fuss over them makes me uncomfortable, if you kwim. Even dh's family does it. I do agree there still seems to be a preference for lighter hair, lighter skin (among both white AND black people), which I think is sad. :( Once, dh and our 2 boys (before our 3rd was born and when DS2 was a baby) went to a cookout at his aunt's house. One of his cousins had also brought her baby boy, who was a few months older than our DS2. Her son is super cute, with big chocolate brown eyes, dark skin and long eyelashes. Everyone was standing with dh's cousin but as soon as I walked in with our DS2 everyone completely left that baby and her and surrounded our son and ooohed and ahhhed, and kept saying how beautiful he was and just going on and on. And dh's cousin was just sitting there with her baby by herself and I felt awful, I just wanted to crawl away. The entire time we were there everyone was making such a fuss over our baby, wanting to hold him etc, and no one was asking to hold his cousin's baby. I finally just went off by myself with DS2 because I felt so bad and I could see she was hurt (his cousin). I really felt they preferred my son because he has lighter and whiter features (actually makes me want to vomit just writing that), and these were black people!!!


Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

JFTB1177 is offline  
#64 of 158 Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 AM
 
JFTB1177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post

 

My sons, facially, are quite similar. However my oldest has a light complexion (peaches and cream, I believe it's called), curly light brown hair, and big brown eyes. People comment all the time on how lucky he would have been if he'd been a girl. People still mistake him as female all.the.time. My youngest son has a medium complexion, dark eyes and dark straight hair. Still confused as female. I guess people think baby boys are supposed to look ugly or something?

 


Omg my boys gets this all the time too- that they would have made gorgeous girls (and my older two were mistaken for girls all the time, even if wearing all blue)! Um, boys can't be pretty??
 

 


Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

JFTB1177 is offline  
#65 of 158 Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 PM
 
albafan15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm polish. The guy that's the father is Puerto rican and he has some chinese ancestry. He's almost been the dark tan type with really black hair and smaller eyes. I'm only 16 weeks though. I don't really care but I'll be the first in the family to not have a blond haired blue eyed kid. I don't really think biracial or other races are less cute either way. There was this one baby that was ethiopian in phenotype and she was the cute baby I'd ever seen....
albafan15 is offline  
#66 of 158 Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
 
whoami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Saw this post and had to chime in because it reminded me of an article I read in a magazine a few months back about mixed people being thought of as more attractive. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100414092523.htm

 

I think there is some validity to it, but I don't think mixed people are necessarily more pretty. It's all genetics, whatever the background happens to be. This got me thinking..Last week I got my first comment in a while about race, but this time it was directed towards my 4 year old boy. The mom asked what race my boys were because she adopted mixed boys and thought my 4 year old was "strikingly gorgeous". I'm mixed, half hispanic, the other half I don't really know since my dad was adopted from Germany and brought to the states. We get a lot of comments on appearance, and it always makes me uncomfortable. Growing up I always got comments on like "what are you" and I understand peoples curiosity, but my mom would always reply with "a child of god". Honestly, I am happy that there are more mixed people than there was when I was growing up, but I really wish people would stop focusing on it. Interesting thread!


Ma (26) to a happy boy 04.07 and due with another 01.11 ~ finally marrying my HS sweetie 02.12!
whoami is offline  
#67 of 158 Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM
 
eelownes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am the product of a Mexican father and White Mama. When you are pregnant, people have a tendency to say things to you that are surprisingly open and direct. Most people mean well, but can be awkward in their delivery. Your child will be cute, because she will be your child. Being biracial will always come with questions and curiosity. I must say, I am 31-years-old and I am still asked "what are you exactly" or "you are not Mexican enough" or my personal favorite "so are you American or what" and you just learn to adapt and come up with witty responses. 

 

Enjoy your new little one! 


Married to my love joy.gif One amazing, creative and beautiful daughter hearts.gif

 

blogging.jpg www.milliemeals.blogspot.com 

eelownes is offline  
#68 of 158 Old 06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Aroha1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a New Zealand Maori. You know, the people that do the Haka in Rugby!! Well I am married to a caucasian man and my children are beautiful. Mixed race's make great looking people, it is true.Don't get me wrong. Whole races have a beauty too.But I think that when you have a mixed race, you join together unique aspects of that race and make a human that has a beauty all on their own. I too like how my skin is different to my mans, and my children have much more ancestry behind them, from both sides.

 

If a race as small as mine, ( we are just 8% of New Zealand) are to survive in any way, then mixing our race will be the answer. Generations away we may not look like a Maori, but we will always have a percentage in us.

Aroha1970 is offline  
#69 of 158 Old 06-17-2011, 01:29 PM
 
baltim0r4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To the OP you are mad (and rightly so) because the little voice in your head is finishing the sentence like this, mixed kids are so cute ... cuter than kids that are all black. what if you thought about completing the sentence like this, mixed kids are so cute ... cuter than kids that are all white. How does that second sentence sound to you?

 

IMHO both sentences are true; all white AND all black kids are already plenty cute!  Mixed kids are a revelation, there is something deep seated in most of us that genetic diversity is a good thing (that's why most cultures have a taboo against incest). Don't let your own hangups get in the way of enjoying your motherhood and your child!

baltim0r4 is offline  
#70 of 158 Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM
 
matte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: (upper) Manhattan
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't read all the comments here, so I am probably not responding to them. I just wanted to say "Hi" to the OP, because I am white (German, mostly) and my husband is African (West). We are expecting our first in July. We live in upper Manhattan. Congratulations to you OP! Let's get some coffee or lemonade later in the summer with our 'cuter, mixed' babies, maybe in Central Park. LOL.

 

You know, I have oddly only gotten this kind of comment from some (lovely) Jamaican and Dominican women I work with at an education non-profit. One woman, who I really like, said "I hope you have a girl, because mixed kids are so beautiful." I thought it was a funny thing for her to say (I think I said something about how beauty isn't exactly wasted on boys...), but I didn't take it as offensive per se. I have had conversations with people in which I said how excited I was to find out what our child will look like, because my husband and I are basically physically opposite. He has very dark skin, is extremely slim (a sort of modern dance body), and has very high cheekbones. I am very pale (translucent, German), heavy/rounded (in a more pin-up way), and have a round head. Who knows what will happen.

 

People in this country do have an odd fascination with mixed kids, I totally grant you that. I wonder, though, were these people you are talking about in NYC? Maybe I run in weird circles, but I see a lot of international families, and most of them are more 'interesting' than my own: Korean-American/Indo-Trinidadian kids, Chinese/Nigerian kids, Nepali/Italian kids, Dominican/Moroccan kids, etc. So, you know... well, New York. Thank God for New York.

matte is offline  
#71 of 158 Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM
 
matte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: (upper) Manhattan
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Uh, but yes, also this:
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

I realize this is a serious conversation and a serious topic  - but if i may make light for just a second....

My cousin is bi-racial and was, in fact, the CUTEST baby we had ever seen in our family ...(in a period of 6 years i had 7 cousins and 2 brothers born...out of all 9 J was hands down the cutest baby)  - the family still talks about what a cute baby he was. 

Today - he is a 30 yr old insurance salesman - and frankly, not very attractive at all. 

 

I have only heard that expression "biracial babies are the cutest"  once, prior to reading this post and it was from an older substitute teacher who (i think)  was trying to demonstrate to our Social Studies class  that she was in fact - not a racist -

As if by her saying this blanket compliment to all biracial children - she was ALSO saying that she 'approved' of the creation of biracial babies.  - this was quite a few years ago (early 80's) when - it seemed to me - many people were more comfortable with their overt and covert racism.  



I think that people say 'biracial babies are the cutest' about black/caucasian babies (which I have heard a lot, just not often directed at me, perhaps because people know better?) what they really want to say is "I'm OK with miscegenation! (uh, I think, SMILE)"  you know, "I like it, it's EXOTIC, which is COOL" um, OK. Gosh. There's a great thread on this forum somewhere about a MIL who goes on about this kind of business all the time to show how accepting she is of her DIL from another ethnic group. Yes, it's unnerving. I suggest a blank stare as a response. Though I'd also be tempted to say something along the lines of 'yup, just doing my part to end whiteness in America..." or something. Which would just be obnoxious of me...

SweetTea likes this.
matte is offline  
#72 of 158 Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 AM
 
cappuccinosmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SW Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

Quote:
 Mixed kids are a revelation, there is something deep seated in most of us that genetic diversity is a good thing 

I totally agree with this, and I think it's the basis behind most such comments, and my own feelings.

 

I was not an  "ugly white baby", nor any of my sisters.  My brother is full Korean, and he was adorable.  Our church is racially diverse and there are babies in every shade imaginable, from full Ghanian to lily white Germanic blonds.  They are all beautiful.  I have yet to meet an ugly infant, truly.  And those older kids that I've found un-adorable, it was more to do with behavior than looks.

 

When I look at my biracial kids, or any other biracial kids, there is an attention-grabbing factor that doesn't happen with other kids.  For myself, I know it has to do with an interest in the genetics of it all.  But I don't think other kids are "less cute".  I'm a people watcher, and I love to observe the beauty in humanity in all it's forms.

mt_gooseberry likes this.
cappuccinosmom is offline  
#73 of 158 Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
 
veggiemomNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think all children are beautiful but I have noticed that there are a lot of very popular child models who are mixed.  Even ones who model as full asian or full black, tend to be mixed. 

veggiemomNYC is offline  
#74 of 158 Old 06-18-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Beppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Heartland
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to add to the talk about the preference for lighter skin color.  DH is from India, where skin color is so entrenched in society.  The poorest are very dark, because they have been forced to do the menial labor outdoors in the hot sun.  And the Brahmins, high caste Hindus, are very light because they are wealthy and sit indoors all day.  Anyway, DH is not a Hindu so the caste system wasn't as relevant to his family, but still there is a preference for lighter skins, unfortunately. 

 

And about the previous poster commenting on people asking "where are you from?"  this actually bothers me about my own husband who only came to the US after graduate studies.  If someone is clearly of Hispanic ancestry (and yet American in every way) he will ask me "where are they from?" which bugs me like crazy.  I tell him, "they are American!"  I don't get it... he's not even caucasian/european...and he is an immigrant himself... and yet he says the same things.

 

And just with regards to the overall conversation, people are always commenting on my girls, too, who have large brown eyes.  I am always hearing "their eyes are so beautiful!  or "your girls are so beautiful!"  The eyes are obviously not from me but from DH.  I wonder how it feels from their perspective.  especially since most people where I live are of european ancestry.  Yet I should say that I see cute babies everywhere, regardless of their color, and when i do I tell their mom "your baby is so cute!"  I think if someone told me my girls looked "exotic" i would be deeply offended.  But being "cute" or "beautiful" doesn't offend me since that can be true of anyone.  don't know if I'm making sense....  I hate the word "exotic" for people and I hope I never hear it said for my children.


Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Beppie is offline  
#75 of 158 Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM
 
rabbittys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Interesting thread. I am mixed race. Most of my family is a mix of various races with my sister, brother, cousins and uncle having partners of different ethnicities. Our Christmas photos are quite a lovely spectrum. I have always, throughout my life seemed to invite speculation from strangers about where I am from. I do genuinely get offended when it is the first thing people ask of me in a conversation, for instance I've been at conferences and have given a talk and afterwards a delegate came up to me not to ask about my work but to find out where I was from. How insulting. I have also been annoyed by people bestowing me with some sort of mysterious exoticism that actually, I really don't posess. I've attracted men that, creepily, always go for a mixed-race type with little interest in my actual personality. And yet, I feel so proud and lucky to know and be part of two different cultures and I have come to terms with and grown to love looking a bit different. Actually mixed-raceness ( is that a term? I was once told by someone it is a derogatory term and that we should be using bi-racial because "Mixed" race implies "Mixed"-up) is very common these days and it's a bit old-fashioned to think of it as unusual. I do also agree with one poster who mentioned that mixed-raceness is probably considered less threatening than being very dark.

rabbittys is offline  
#76 of 158 Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Bad Mama Jama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Locale so Secret that I Don't Know
Posts: 4,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I understand that it is indeed a sensitive subject.  i remember being baffled that people were very quick to attribute my dd's cuteness to being something other than black.  for example, "she is so cute!  she looks like a little puerto rican baby."  or when an arabic woman at a shoe store tried to pick up my dd who was clearly "lost" though I was standing right next to her.  i just think that it hurts us when we are tired of the ignorance that abounds.

 

i just couldn't understand why she wouldn't be as cute if she were just identified as black.  i also think that it depends on your community's experience with race.  for a number of black folk, they have been trained to believe that lighter is better and mixed race is definitely an improvement.  it is sad really.  i remember my neighbor saying to be that she was glad that i was going to have a baby that is "the right color" whatever that was supposed to mean.  keep in mind that she is not fair skinned.  i just think that depending on the circumstance, wording can scream of self-hatred and that makes me sad.


Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

 

Bad Mama Jama is offline  
#77 of 158 Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 AM
 
ashtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this is a truly interesting thread. i have read every post and just one to add something that hasn't come up yet.

 

to the OP, I get that you started this thread out of a genuine interest in how people would navigate issues of physical identity (overt focus on race in the form of praise) within an image obsessed culture. I have two biracial children and honestly what i want for my children beyond good looks or even 'appropriate responses from others' is their own happiness. I want my children to be happy. deeply, truly, unshakably happy. that is another bias we have in this culture. we tend to think of pessimistic people as being 'practical' and optimistic people as being 'foolish' or 'ignorant'. i want for my children to understand that happiness is not subject to external factors, i.e. the way others react to your physical appearance, instead it comes from inside.

 

when my children watch me react to others' comments on their looks, they aren't focused so much on what i say as they are taking their cues on how i emotionally react. if they see me get disgruntled or upset then the message they are getting is that external factors have the authority to shape and influence my mood and ultimately that is what they will mimic and what will define their personality more than their genetics. i can't change the world for them; i can't erase all the predjudice and racism for them. but i can give them a model for how to focus on the positive in everything in a way that is not 'blind' or 'ignorant' but is a personal preference for positivity over negativity. being happy has proven overwhelming benefit to one's health as well. i don't smoke cigarettes because its unhealthy to my body, so why would i demonstrate letting something as benign as a misguided compliment upset me and thus pollute both my mind and body? if i give something like that the power to disarm my mood then Buddha help me if and when life throws me a real curve ball. 

 

our level of happiness is not a static attribute the way our genetics are. it can be strengthened just like a muscle. too often we rely on external beneficial circumstances to feel good about ourselves and about life in general. i want to teach my kids that we can cultivate our own happiness and manifest it outwards to lift the energy of those around us. if i focus too much on what is 'correct', both philosophically and psychologically when educating my children then i set them up for either frustration when the outside world disappoints that standard or else righteousness when they take solace in their own superior 'correctness'. the way i figure, they are better benefited by my positivity when i accept people's (awkward) compliments with genuine appreciation than if i eschew them as being morally problematic - even if they are. 

 

but that's just me orngbiggrin.gif

ashtak is offline  
#78 of 158 Old 07-22-2011, 07:53 AM
 
shimmering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have mixed kids or have any experience with them. But I have seen a lot of mixed kids and thought in my mind that wow they are cute. But in all those moments, I never once thought about the color of their skin or the felt the need to treat then any differently. I don't think everyone who says mixed kids are cute necessarily wants to discriminate or is making racist comments. Because until you brought it up, I didn't even know it could mean that way. Not that I have ever said out loud. But not even in my wildest dreams I would want to discriminate anyone. And that's true for many of the people who say it out loud.

I have seen a lot of racism myself, because I am brown skinned. So I know what I am talking about. Sometimes people say to me wow, you don't even need a tan, you have such beautiful tan color. Well I always took it as a complement. And I think people mean well when they say that. And most of the time they are not trying to be racists.

shimmering is offline  
#79 of 158 Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
 
Taqah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

the thing is saying "oh mixed kids are so cute" -- is basically racist.  not just because the person might be feeling that they look good because they are less black or less asian etc.  But because it creates an entire subset of people who often have no distinguishing features in common and turns them into a physically defined group for no real reason, other than some imaginary in that persons head.  There is also the aspect exoticism that has been mentioned in the comments. 

 

That said, some thing that is racist isn't necessarily born out of evil intentions, conscious thought process, nor do I think the comment about mixed children is meant to offend anyone. 

 

It's true we all, or most of us anyway, have our preferences and there is nothing wrong with this; whether for tightly curled hair,big blue eyes, dark black skin, nose with a bridge etc; but those tastes are in large part conditioned by our environment and what we are taught to value (or rebel against valuing) and we need to acknowledge this.  When people make the comments about mixed race children all of those assumptions and tastes are packed in there.  the reality is few people go around saying asian, black, hispanic. or white babies are so cute because of their race... Why? because it means absolutely nothing.  (and let's face it we have all seen some less than gorgeous babies of all races) 

 

another less urgent point is why do people think its okay to comment on the future attractiveness of babies at all?  I admit I am guilty of this on;occasion, but when I think about it, such an emphasis on external beauty before the children are even born doesn't seem that healthy...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Taqah is offline  
#80 of 158 Old 07-26-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Greenlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: near Chicago, IL
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by albafan15 View Post

I'm polish. The guy that's the father is Puerto rican and he has some chinese ancestry. He's almost been the dark tan type with really black hair and smaller eyes. I'm only 16 weeks though. I don't really care but I'll be the first in the family to not have a blond haired blue eyed kid. I don't really think biracial or other races are less cute either way. There was this one baby that was ethiopian in phenotype and she was the cute baby I'd ever seen....



A little OT, but that may not be entirely true.  My BIL is white and his wife is Puerto Rican.  All 3 of their kids have blond hair & blue eyes.

 


Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Greenlea is offline  
#81 of 158 Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
 
shimmering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
the thing is saying "oh mixed kids are so cute" -- is basically racist.  not just because the person might be feeling that they look good because they are less black or less asian etc.  But because it creates an entire subset of people who often have no distinguishing features in common and turns them into a physically defined group for no real reason, other than some imaginary in that persons head. 

 

Well if its just that then there would not be a problem in the world right. Nobody would be bothered or offended so much if it was just the fact of that thinking. By definition racism is defined as

 

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

                                                                                                                                           or

"Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief".

 

Just because you think that wow this guy is asian and that guy is african american does not make you a racist. It makes you a racist if you discriminate people based on the fact that they are of a particular race, that can either lead to favoritism or hatred. That is when your behavior towards the other person changes because of the race he belongs to. And people hate it because there was time when people of different races were treated badly. So if you choose a person who comes for a job interview just because you like his race, or reject another person because you don't like his race is what accounts as racism and that person showing that behavior is called a racist.

 

Now when I say, she is Chinese, so she has beautiful skin, or he is of african american so he has a good muscle build, does not make me a racist. And I think the same stays true for what I said before.

 

Its not so much the comment, but its the intent and the actions that matter.

 

As I a said before, I have been on the other side and have experienced racism. Please do not call this racism. It isn't even close. The hatred people show you when they show racism cuts your heart like a whiplash. And it ain't this. Just a stare is filled with so much negative energy that you can actually feel it.

shimmering is offline  
#82 of 158 Old 07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Carma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think that a lot of people who say that also mean that your children will be special, but not is a racist or negative way. We have kids with the fine blond hair blue eyes look, and we also get a lot of comments on how cute they look. Where we are from in Europe almost noone comments on how they look, since a lot of kids have blond hair overthere. However, my relatives when they are visiting the US, comment on beautiful brown-eyed dark-haired kids they see here.

 

Carma

 

Carma is offline  
#83 of 158 Old 07-28-2011, 07:24 AM
 
kama'aina mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watching Top Chef, eating Top Ramen
Posts: 21,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmering View Post

 

Well if its just that then there would not be a problem in the world right. Nobody would be bothered or offended so much if it was just the fact of that thinking. By definition racism is defined as

 

"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."

                                                                                                                                           or

"Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief".

 

Just because you think that wow this guy is asian and that guy is african american does not make you a racist. It makes you a racist if you discriminate people based on the fact that they are of a particular race, that can either lead to favoritism or hatred. That is when your behavior towards the other person changes because of the race he belongs to. And people hate it because there was time when people of different races were treated badly. So if you choose a person who comes for a job interview just because you like his race, or reject another person because you don't like his race is what accounts as racism and that person showing that behavior is called a racist.

 

Now when I say, she is Chinese, so she has beautiful skin, or he is of african american so he has a good muscle build, does not make me a racist. And I think the same stays true for what I said before.

 

Its not so much the comment, but its the intent and the actions that matter.

 

As I a said before, I have been on the other side and have experienced racism. Please do not call this racism. It isn't even close. The hatred people show you when they show racism cuts your heart like a whiplash. And it ain't this. Just a stare is filled with so much negative energy that you can actually feel it.


I don't agree that engaging in positive stereotypes is not racist.  In some ways positive stereotypes are just as harmful as negative ones, because they erase the effort of the individual. 

 

kama'aina mama is offline  
#84 of 158 Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM
 
mommy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We got some comments like that, but less than yours it seems because DH is not African, he's Palauan (like Samoan). I would not be offended either- I mean, they all seem like positive comments to me, albeit worded a little funny. 

mommy212 is offline  
#85 of 158 Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 AM
 
Greenlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: near Chicago, IL
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post


 


I don't agree that engaging in positive stereotypes is not racist.  In some ways positive stereotypes are just as harmful as negative ones, because they erase the effort of the individual. 

 



So would it be racist to only be attracted to one race and not another?  Lilke my mom, after her divorce, has only dated Asian men.  She says she likes their features.  My DH is attracted to brunettes, not blonds - does that make him racist towards ethnicities that usually have blond hair?  I guess I'm not sure we can call complementing someone on a feature of theirs, that may be typical of a certain race, as racist. 

 


Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Greenlea is offline  
#86 of 158 Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM
 
kama'aina mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watching Top Chef, eating Top Ramen
Posts: 21,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Everyone is entitled to have personal preferences, and what you find attractive isn't really up for a vote, right?  But depending on what those attractions are, they could be based in racism, and that's worth thinking about, in my opinion. 

 

Aside from that, what I am talking about is so-called positive stereotypes, like that Asians are smart or good at math, that blacks are athletic, or good dancers or natural singers... These comments may seem complimentary, but the end result is that they negate the effort made by the individual members of those ethnic groups to excel in those areas.  Does that make sense? 

kama'aina mama is offline  
#87 of 158 Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM
 
shimmering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I understand what you mean, but what I want to say is that it does not count as racism. Racism is something completely different than what you say. But yes what you say makes sense, that their effort put into it may not be taken into account. But that does not apply to every instance, and it is definitely not racism.

So does when people comment you on your looks. For example brown skin is genetic, and it has no effort of the person involved and so is shiny skin, and blue eyes. Some races have particular genes which might give them certain advantages. And that is a fact.

But at the same time I wouldn't say all african americans will be atheletic, or all african americans who are atheletic are so because of their genes and not because of their effort.

 

Basically what I mean to say is that, commenting on others looks and features does not simply make you racist or it does not count as racism. There might be negative effects of what you say, but it does not count as racism.

shimmering is offline  
#88 of 158 Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
 
Mrs. Bratton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find it so interesting that people of African descent would assume I mean that mixed babies are prettier than all African babies. I have never said mixed babies are cuter but I have often thought it. But every time I thought about it I was meaning that mixed babies are more attractive than ALL WHITE (my race) babies. I never considered that someone could think I meant the other. I tend to prefer mixed or purely ethnic children. There are some very attractive all white kids (mine being one) but I just prefer darker skin and features so a mixed person, to me, is usually more attractive than a white person. That said, I also find all (insert dark race here) people more attractive than white people, too, and mixed people more attractive than both.

 

Some men prefer Asian women, some women really like Italian guys. shrug.gif Doesn't mean they hate all other races. I don't think it's wrong to have a preference.

Mrs. Bratton is offline  
#89 of 158 Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
 
Taqah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so much to comment on.

First of all Shimmering absolutely I agree --noting race is not racist-- agreed!! obviously we notice race, by pretending we don't see it is silly and frankly harmful. There was a study not long ago that noted how little white children are taught to think there is something wrong with other races because their parents will often try not to use racial identifiers.  An example at a predominantly white playground a white parent sees their child playing with the only black child in the playground and decides to invite him and his mother over for a play date.  The white parent then turns to their child and says "do you want to invite the boy you were playing with over next week?"  the white child having played with several boys says "which boy? "  and the parent answers something like "  the boy with the blue Tshirt." instead of "the black boy." even though there may be several children with blue Tshirts and in diverse societies race is one of the first things we notice about people.  These ways of ignoring race, while well intentioned,  teach white children to think there is something wrong with admitting they see race, and that race must be somehow bad.... and lead to the annoying "I'm color blind" Or "I don't care if you are black white or polka dotted" comments later on.  SO YES noting race is fine, acceptable, I would go so far as to say positive and healthy.

 

BUT grouping qualities by race is essentialising and racist--

deciding that "mixed babies are cute" whether its because you think that they are cuter than all black, all asian, all latino or all white babies smacks of exoticism and racism.  (Oh and Shimmering--As a child I also suffered the really awful racism-- the kind that includes physical violence -- just that because this comes from a better place and isn't as damaging doesn't make it not racist.  It just makes it less damaging and less hurtful. ) 

 

Quote:

Well if its just that then there would not be a problem in the world right. Nobody would be bothered or offended so much if it was just the fact of that thinking.

I, for one, am bothered when I am turned into a stand in for my entire racial group and when people assume I have positive or negative qualities because of my ethnicity. 
Yes there are some biological tendencies that often go along with phenotype and color (I don't pretend to say it's all nurture by any means) but not all koreans are inherently good at math, nor are all kenyans great runners.  Nor are all Thai women drop dead gorgeous. 

Besides a half ethiopian half german baby has little in common with a half vietnamese half white American who has little in common with a half dominican half armenian baby BUT they are all mixed.  Are they all "so cute" because they're mixed?  And if so, what does that really mean?  And half white american half black american babies-- to take just one common mixed race in the US--can look very different from each other.  But these comments turn them into one group.   I get that some people just don't get that this exoticism that strips the individuality away from the people under discussion; but my baby will be cute or not cute because of the way s/he looks not because of my race and my husband's race.  

 

Finally, as I said above, having aesthetic preferences that take ethnicity into account is common.  But don't kid yourself and think that they come out of nowhere.  THEY DON'T.  We have all been conditioned to prefer certain qualities and we take up those messages an mix them with whatever part of attraction is purely chemical--it's difficult to tell where our attractions come from.  You don't need to beat yourself up over your preferences.. Just recognize they aren't completely separate from what you have been taught and believed or have rebelled against.  That's true whether you like people who look nothing like you ethnically or prefer phenotypes similar to your own.  Whether yearn for a partner with the bluest eyes, or insist that the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice. And for that matter if you only like tall guys or busty girls... these were things that in part you picked up from culture at large and that some of the messages we ingest are pernicious and particularly damaging to women of color.  (I am ahppy to be thought of as sexy but... sultry asian women, latina spitfires, sassy black babes... none of these images are neutral, and none of these images come without a price)

 

In the end I'm not sure why I wrote this when Kama'aina Mama said everything more succinctly and clearly than I can...  (not that I'm implying she'd agree with what I said BUT I do agree with her.)

 

 

 

 

MamaKickyPants and matte like this.
Taqah is offline  
#90 of 158 Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
 
kama'aina mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Watching Top Chef, eating Top Ramen
Posts: 21,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqah View Post

so much to comment on.

First of all Shimmering absolutely I agree --noting race is not racist-- agreed!! obviously we notice race, by pretending we don't see it is silly and frankly harmful. There was a study not long ago that noted how little white children are taught to think there is something wrong with other races because their parents will often try not to use racial identifiers.  An example at a predominantly white playground a white parent sees their child playing with the only black child in the playground and decides to invite him and his mother over for a play date.  The white parent then turns to their child and says "do you want to invite the boy you were playing with over next week?"  the white child having played with several boys says "which boy? "  and the parent answers something like "  the boy with the blue Tshirt." instead of "the black boy." even though there may be several children with blue Tshirts and in diverse societies race is one of the first things we notice about people.  These ways of ignoring race, while well intentioned,  teach white children to think there is something wrong with admitting they see race, and that race must be somehow bad.... and lead to the annoying "I'm color blind" Or "I don't care if you are black white or polka dotted" comments later on.  SO YES noting race is fine, acceptable, I would go so far as to say positive and healthy.

 

BUT grouping qualities by race is essentialising and racist--

deciding that "mixed babies are cute" whether its because you think that they are cuter than all black, all asian, all latino or all white babies smacks of exoticism and racism.  (Oh and Shimmering--As a child I also suffered the really awful racism-- the kind that includes physical violence -- just that because this comes from a better place and isn't as damaging doesn't make it not racist.  It just makes it less damaging and less hurtful. ) 

 

I, for one, am bothered when I am turned into a stand in for my entire racial group and when people assume I have positive or negative qualities because of my ethnicity. 
Yes there are some biological tendencies that often go along with phenotype and color (I don't pretend to say it's all nurture by any means) but not all koreans are inherently good at math, nor are all kenyans great runners.  Nor are all Thai women drop dead gorgeous. 

Besides a half ethiopian half german baby has little in common with a half vietnamese half white American who has little in common with a half dominican half armenian baby BUT they are all mixed.  Are they all "so cute" because they're mixed?  And if so, what does that really mean?  And half white american half black american babies-- to take just one common mixed race in the US--can look very different from each other.  But these comments turn them into one group.   I get that some people just don't get that this exoticism that strips the individuality away from the people under discussion; but my baby will be cute or not cute because of the way s/he looks not because of my race and my husband's race.  

 

Finally, as I said above, having aesthetic preferences that take ethnicity into account is common.  But don't kid yourself and think that they come out of nowhere.  THEY DON'T.  We have all been conditioned to prefer certain qualities and we take up those messages an mix them with whatever part of attraction is purely chemical--it's difficult to tell where our attractions come from.  You don't need to beat yourself up over your preferences.. Just recognize they aren't completely separate from what you have been taught and believed or have rebelled against.  That's true whether you like people who look nothing like you ethnically or prefer phenotypes similar to your own.  Whether yearn for a partner with the bluest eyes, or insist that the blacker the berry the sweeter the juice. And for that matter if you only like tall guys or busty girls... these were things that in part you picked up from culture at large and that some of the messages we ingest are pernicious and particularly damaging to women of color.  (I am ahppy to be thought of as sexy but... sultry asian women, latina spitfires, sassy black babes... none of these images are neutral, and none of these images come without a price)

 

In the end I'm not sure why I wrote this when Kama'aina Mama said everything more succinctly and clearly than I can...  (not that I'm implying she'd agree with what I said BUT I do agree with her.)

 

 

 

 



I really appreciate your comments... and I... well, I am not used to being called succinct, as I tend to run on at the mouth a bit... but thank you! (My nickname as a kid was "loquacious"!)  Good luck with your pregnancy and birth!

matte likes this.
kama'aina mama is offline  
Reply

Tags
Dim Sum Bagels And Grits A Sourcebook For Multicultural Families

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off