Introducing second language at 2years - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

We just move from France to USA 6 months ago.My daughter Callie is 2 1/2, so she start speaking french in France.SInce we arrived she heard people and tv speak english,she learn some word from the TV (thank you Dora,Callie always say "let's go").

But she doesn't speak french very well and she just start speak english.

She looks like she was lost sometimes,last time she was playing with a farm and a other girl comes and play with her.The girl take the cow and say "Cow" to her dad,Callie was scream "non Vache-it means cow in french) and when i explain that cow=vache she was perplexed....

In France we also begin to learn the sign language because i think it's really important.

But now i don't want to mix all,it's difficult for her with french and english so we stop Sign language.

Do you have some tips?can you help me?

Thank you

SAHM of Callie (08/03/2009) and Cleo (03/15/2012).

bfinfant.gifsewmachine.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif

I'm French so excuse my mistake

http://cmamankafait.canalblog.com my blog in french!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 AM

What language do you speak in the house? We don't live in the US, but we speak English at home. The kids learn the native language when they go to universal pre-k at 3 - 3.5 (December cutoff, all of mine have gone closer to 3.5 than 3).

If you are planning on sending her to school she will pick up English, especially if you are going to send her young (before Kindy). I would keep speaking French at home, and explain to her (in French) that X speaks English. This is what we did and the kids all got it, and now they are bi-lingual. Also, if you are planning on having more kids, they will get it younger IME. Ds understood Hebrew from birth because his older sisters spoke it a lot in the house, even though he didn't speak it until he started pre-k at 3.5. He's now speaking more, longer sentences, etc. His English is still better, but according to the teachers in school, his Hebrew is right where it should be, adn that's for a kid who in theory only speaks one language, not a bi-lingual one. He only started school this past September, so I'm really happy his language is where it needs to be.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer.

We speak usually french but we translate the simple sentence like "on va au bain-go to the bath" or the other daily things

She is register at the Montessori school close to our house for September (if she's potty trained,that's an other question!!)

We have a baby and she heard french and english since she was born ( 15 march).

SAHM of Callie (08/03/2009) and Cleo (03/15/2012).

bfinfant.gifsewmachine.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gif

I'm French so excuse my mistake

http://cmamankafait.canalblog.com my blog in french!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 PM

Are both of you French? Just speak French at home. You don't need to teach her any English. She'll learn that outside the home. 

I speak English to my kids here in France. My dh is French and can't speak English. The kids are in a bilingual French-German program. I'm very strict about speaking English and only English with them and now they'll get mad at me if I use any French with them. 

Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM

I have read that's really important to remain consistent. So, if you are speaking French at home, keep it that way. When she goes to school (whether it be an international bilingual school) it's there she will learn English. For children under the age of 10, it's really no problem to learn multiple languages. So, don't worry about them being confused.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Just echoing what other posters said. If you both speak French at home, continue doing so. She will learn English at school, through tv, hearing conversations, etc. Or, one parent can speak only English & the other only French. As long as it's consistent, she will be fine. Even though I was born in the US, English was not regularly spoken at home & not my 1st language.. I don't remember NOT ever understanding English though. Through tv, school & hearing people converse on the streets I picked it up. It's a natural progression. In fact, I actually prefer to speak to my family in their native language. It feels more natural & it helps me practice it (believe me, English will take over soon enough & you'll have to soon remind her of French words & pronunciation).

Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Studies have shown that small children can learn up to four languages simultaneously, as long as they have enough exposure to each. It is a good idea to think about what languages are important to you and what you feel will be important for your daughter and her identity when she grows up.

Tags
Multicultural Families
User Tag List