"where are you guys from?" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I love reading the dialogue here ladies. When people see me they mostly think im african American, which I identify but when someone get so know me they realize I'm very mixed up. But as far as my son, we get all kinds of comments, he got several of my Ethiopian features but doused with my husbands mostly German background..... He's a little blondie. Anyway, I do try to assume people are coming from a good place when they ask questions. I also am a very curious person too and I am always asking people what they are mixed with. I don't just walk up to a stranger but if I am in line at the grocery store or something and I'm curious , I ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Oh, just the other day too I heard an interesting accent and asked the woman where she was from. Spanish but with an interesting accent. I don't think she was offended at all. I love Spanish and all forms and I was able to introduce my mother in law who is from chile and mention that dh and I lived in Costa Rica. It was fine. Sometimes I think we think to hard about things. This kind of reminds me of when I was pregnant with twins in 2011 I lost one. I was 21 weeks. I had someone in our community whom I had barley talked with before ask me about what happened to the baby in utero that did not make it. I could have been offended but I actually appreciated their honesty and curiosity in asking such a bold question. And they must have been pretty dang curious to ask.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
 The question is more likely to come up in countries of greater ethnic diversity.
I think exactly the opposite is the case: I think this question would come up more from people / in places exposed to less ethnic & cultural diversity. I would think in bigger cities, for example, people are more used to seeing all sorts of people from all over the world and hearing different accents and languages, that it's just not as much of an issue. Whereas in smaller towns where almost everyone is of the same background, anyone who is different be it language, race, culture, would be questioned just because they're more unusual.

I agree though that this question need not be offensive. I am always curious about people and culture and language and to me it's just fascinating to learn about different cultures and places. I celebrate diversity and part of that is being interested in other people's background and culture. I am a white American living in the EU and people ask me all the time where I'm from when they hear my accent and I have only ever heard curiosity in their voice. I have never been upset by the question. Then again, I think when it has to do with race it's a touchier issue....

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wink Where are you really from- What kind of Asian are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
Quoteriginally Posted by thanneaKS 

I'd just smile and say, "We're from Florida."  Period.  Act calm and confident and friendly, however you really feel.  That should do it!!!!!

Dh, ds and I are Caucasian and dd (adopted) is very obviously Hispanic.  People ask where she's from all the time.  I say "New Jersey" (where she was born).  Then they ask where her parents are from and I reply that dh is originally from NY and I am originally from NJ.  Then they correct themselves and USUALLY use the term "birth parents" although I have once gotten "real parents"  and I tell that that since dd was born in NJ, I'm going to guess they were also from NJ since one generally doesn't travel too far when in labor and about to give birth.

People are too much.  And it's almost funny to watch them struggle to be nosy.
Hehe, I am Asian from China. And I live in SF, even there are tons of Asians here, I still get asked a lot "Where are you from, really from, originally from, what kind of Asian are you, are you Chinese, Japanese, Korean?" Some times, people just decided I am Korean or Japanese and start to speak Korean or Japanese to me. My partner is from Portugal and our baby obviously seems mixed. The good thing is that most of the time, people can tell he is mine, the Asian genes are dominant. And I get asked "where dad is from?" or something along the line. I do not get that offended any more, I guess I am used to that, being asked about my ethnic background, or race. I generally just tell them, once their curiosity get satisfied, they just go their own way anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWynJkN5HbQ

User Tag List