teaching multiculturalism beyond books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i'm a single mama with a multicultural child.  for me, i need a bit of advice for creative ways to introduce my daughter's other background without the assistance of the other parent as he is not present.  i've presented mine in a host of ways because it is not so abstract for me, but we often talk about her other parent's and go through books and such.  we also dine at a host of restaurants and such that serve food from the other parent's background.  other than that, i'm kind of at a loss...

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#2 of 6 Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Is there a large community from your child's father's culture in your town?  They might hold special community events, or festivals?  Do they have specific holidays or celebrations or even traditions around holidays that you celebrate that are different th an the ones that you have?  You could start celebrating them, in your own way, with your child. 

What about language school?  In our city, the school board offers saturday morning language school in a multitude of languages, for kids, for free! 

Also,maybe there are other families on this board of the same culture as you ex, who could offer you some specific ideas!

#3 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

i love the idea of the festivals and such.  right now, our language school doesn't offer the language that i would need, so that is out.  but i like the other suggestions that you had.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#4 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I really like celebrating holidays from different cultures. If there isn't a celebration where I live, I try to find out about the holiday and try to make our own celebration by making foods that are typical of that celebration and do crafts or other traditions. Right now, my DD is really interested in Rahki. We're a little late in celebrating, but we've been making bracelets and learning about the festival. We are also celebrating Rosh Hashanah by having some foods like apples dipped in honey. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Movies and cartoons from the other culture would be fun, and if your daughter is old enough, what about a penpal?

#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 PM

There is this great HBO series called "Happily Ever After:  Fairy Tales for Every Child" that retells all the classic fairy tales with multicultural characters.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page