Stripes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
anyone else's biracial child have stripes for lack of a better word? I have 4 kids and only 4 year old ds 2 has this, on his tummy.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 8 Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

My son does have a stripe on his belly. What do you attribute this to?

#3 of 8 Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

My son does have a stripe on his belly. What do you attribute this to?

Maybe the dad is a Zebra.  Just kidding, I hope you can take a joke.  Ask you Pediatrician.  Check out this webpage for more info: http://www.eugenepeds.com/

#4 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Just curious more than anything. Not worried about it at all. It look looks like a variation of normal to me. Just curious to see if anyone else had a child like mine. The only other biracial kids I have known are daycare & I didn't look close enough to notice if they had this. Also didn't bathe them.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM

My husband is Indian, I am white. Our oldest daughter, who takes more after my dh in complexion, has the line from her belly button on down. She was also born with a mongolian birthmark but that faded with time. The line is still there but very faint. I suspect when she get pregnant later in life it will be dark. My mother in law said the line is normal in some people in the family. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 AM

one of my best friends is black/white biracial. She has several brothers and sisters and also has a lot of biracial pride. She says (in her anecdotal experience) it is very common for black/white biracial children/people to have birth marks and variations in skin tone...and sometimes darker skin areas can mean that they are going to get darker complected as they get older. especially if those marks are along their median line (for lack of a better word) ...spine/below the belly button/genitals and is not a defined birth mark but an area of darker skin

I have another Latina friend who has said in the past that with hispanic babies you can tell if they are going to get darker complected if they have areas of darker skin in those same places

It sounds totally normal to me but if you are worried about it, you can always talk to your ped

#7 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Nah not worried. They would not even be noticed by anyone but me. He also has two cafe au lait birth marks, one on his knee that is pretty big & a little angel kiss on his cheek. smile.gif
He gets VERY dark in the summer. Does that indicate he will be darker as an adult? Just curious.

#8 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 AM

you know, I don't know. I can tell you that in my family, we are a good portion Cherokee and of all the cousins in my generations, those of us who burned the easiest  as kids grew up to be the lightest complected. My mom and littlest brother never ever burn, are more olive skinned than I am, and have much darker skin tones than i do even in the winter. I on the other hand barely tan. I burn. I am very pale as an adult, though my little brother and I appeared to have the same skin tone when he was a baby/toddler.  He didn't start getting darker till he was 4 or 5. But that is just our family's experience

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page