Gift-giving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
My afghan fiancee is going to visit his family back home for the first time since he was a child. He is visiting his younger sister and she is really important to him. Their mother died when they were kids, so she is kind of his most important female relative. She is a little unsettled by her brother marrying someone like me, but That is probably to be expected. But I really want her to accept me as family when we get married, so I thought I would send her something to give her and also her one year old little girl. My fiancee think it is a really good idea, but he has no clue about ideas for gifts and since he left when he was really young, he don't know much about what is an appropriate present. So I Wonder if anybody has some thoughts about this. She is about eighteen years old and was married a little over a year ago. Baby- girl will be one year in august, and he will be visiting in july.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 AM

I think a piece of jewelry would be lovely and special. A necklace, or a lovely pin she might use on a scarf?

#3 of 7 Old 04-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

i usually tend to favor practical gifts .... considering the economy of the country in question ... unless your fiance is part of the few elite families from that country that is .... i should think that something that is both useful and nice would be a good choice ... i would be wary of offering something too "frivolous" that would seem "too useless" ....

#4 of 7 Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Jewellery would be best. If they are liberal, then make-up, nice looking fragances, purses etc.

For the girl, almost all nice toys in USA are not found yet in developing countries, cute girlie items. Also, for us (I am from India), chcololates are always expected when we visit. Lots of chocolates ( halloween size bags). 

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 AM

I don't know about the Afghan context, but in HK and China - if jewelry - make it solid gold (999 gold= 24 carat) if you can manage it.  I think better some small, real solid-gold items for your sister-in-law and niece than larger gold-plated  pieces.

I don't know whether silver would be appreciated, but if giving silver, I suggest make it sterling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy@STL View Post

Jewellery would be best. If they are liberal, then make-up, nice looking fragances, purses etc.

For the girl, almost all nice toys in USA are not found yet in developing countries, cute girlie items. Also, for us (I am from India), chcololates are always expected when we visit. Lots of chocolates ( halloween size bags). 

#6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree that gold is viewed highly there. And 24 carat gold is the standard. That being said, since gold jewellery is abundant in my country(India), we dont buy that from here. Rather we get "different" type of jewellery which will make the gift more "american/abroad" in nature. Like Venetian beads, Swarsozki etc. But yes if going for gold, better to give solid gold.

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#7 of 7 Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I vote for gold too and 24 carat if you can afford it.  Gold is looked at highly in most parts of the world, especially in poorer parts.  It represents not just something beautiful but also a saving (people sell their gold jewelry if they fall on hard times).   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page