Your reaction to the reaction to the Cheerios ad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those who might not have heard, as i hadn't till this morning, Cheerios had a ton of backlash cuz they made a commercial with a biracial couple & their kid.
See video here:
http://t.co/GVSAOPnA5t

Cheerios supposedly had to disable their comments section because people were being so bad.
Sigh.
#2 of 12 Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The worst people come out on the internet. :-( I like the commercial, it's very cute!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Wait...what's wrong with the ad?
Why is there a backlash?

What did I miss?

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#4 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

There was backlash because apparently America doesn't like an inter-racial couple being featured. 

#5 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Yeah, my husband told me about it.  He described the ad to me, and I kept waiting for the offensive part.  I had the same reaction as you, mamaprovides.  I mean really, that's offensive?  (We're an interracial couple.  But it feels strange for me to say that, because it's a non-issue, really.  It isn't something I really spend time thinking about).

Wife to my best friend, mama to DD (6/29/12)

#6 of 12 Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Aww, I think the commercial is sweet. I imagine it would be shocking though if you live in a part of the country where there are fewer interracial couples.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#7 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

I posted the commercial because it is cute and I wanted people to see what the big fuss was about. My husband and I had a discussion about this commercial because as an interracial couple with a baby, I worry about a world where that commercial causes such upheaval.
Hubby is of the mindset of, "who cares what ignorant people are saying" and I agree to an extent. But I feel that when rational people just ignore things like that it doesn't make them go away and just because I know it's racist bull crap it doesn't mean that our child will when she hears it.
Also I think it's easier to ignore racism when you aren't the target of it. (He's a white male, I am a Hispanic female)
#8 of 12 Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM

I totally understand what you are saying. I do think, however, that we can't really judge the feelings of the nation as a whole by Internet comments. It just seems like the WORST most VOCAL people go on the net to cause an uproar, but I think generally people are not like that. Also, I honestly think most of those fools on the net wouldn't dare say anything to anyone in person. They may not even feel that way but are just saying crazy things to cause an uproar.

Did Cheerios actually pull the ad? If they did then THAT is a shame.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#9 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM

no they aren't pulling it, in fact they are supporting their choice to make it. I haven't heard any negative backlash, I have only heard people talking about the negative backlash. lol Youtube has all sorts of crazy comments. I say lowest common denominator ya know?

I don't see what the big deal is either personally. We are a interracial couple as well, but don't consider that to be central to our relationship. like someone else said, it's usually a non-issue. lol

all I do know, is that little girl is hecka cute :)

#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM

I love the commercial!
#11 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

me too,

i really like the face of the Dad when he wakes up ... and the final seconds are such a good idea !

#12 of 12 Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 PM

I haven't watch the commercial (watching videos is a PITA on my tablet), but I don't see why anyone would care about something like that. A couple generations ago it was a big deal when my Irish-American grandmother married my Italian-American grandfather. Now that just sounds stupid. IMO, anyone complaining about (OMG!) an inter-racial couple in a cereal commercial is either a total moron or an attention-seeking troll. Probably both.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page