Biracial Children & Sun-Screen - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Biracial Children & Sun-Screen

How do you approach the use of sun-screen with your biracial child? My son is two, and I have never used much on him. He is not prone to burning, but I was thinking he should probably use it if we are going to a pool or to the beach. I used to live in Colorado, and never used much sun-screen, even with all the sun. I put a dab on my nose and ears. My brother's girlfriend thinks sun-screen actually causes skin cancer. Is that possible?
#2 of 3 Old 06-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I think people of color need sun screen. I wear it but most of the time I wear a straw hat and got a sun hat for my son( who is biracial) Just because one does not burn does not mean to continue to expose yourself to those bad rays. In addition, on a pure vain note I wish I had worn sunscreen when I was in my twenties because I would not have the sun damage I have now .
There are all kinds of make your own sunscreens on Pinterest and certainly lots of cute hats out there for toddlers. Cover his skin Hun!!!!!
Best
#3 of 3 Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with Tracyamber--we put sunscreen on our toddler whenever she's in direct sunlight, such as in the park or garden, on the beach, or when going on a sunny hike. We use an ecologically friendly, organic sunscreen because of concerns about toxic ingredients on the skin--I remember an old-time naturopath saying, "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin." Alternatively, you can use the old-fashioned sun protection of long sleeves and pants and a sun hat, but our daughter flings hats off and prefers to be nude, so sunscreen is the way to go for her. It's especially important because with her skin tone, sunburn isn't obvious; she doesn't turn red like me. (My brother inherited the Latino skin and I, unfortunately, got the Irish pallor. Darn.)

Naturopathic physician, licensed acupuncturist, writer, avid commuting cyclist and community-theater performer; joyful mother of Kathryn (adopted summer 2011) lady.gifand Luthien (born 11.30.12babyf.gif), and guardian of seven feline ascended masterscat.gif!

weadopted.gifbuddamomimg1.pngbftoddler.giffamilybed1.gif namaste.gifcd.giftrekkie.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page