Mothering Forum banner

Biracial Children & Sun-Screen

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PacificMar 
#1 ·
How do you approach the use of sun-screen with your biracial child? My son is two, and I have never used much on him. He is not prone to burning, but I was thinking he should probably use it if we are going to a pool or to the beach. I used to live in Colorado, and never used much sun-screen, even with all the sun. I put a dab on my nose and ears. My brother's girlfriend thinks sun-screen actually causes skin cancer. Is that possible?

#2 ·
I think people of color need sun screen. I wear it but most of the time I wear a straw hat and got a sun hat for my son( who is biracial) Just because one does not burn does not mean to continue to expose yourself to those bad rays. In addition, on a pure vain note I wish I had worn sunscreen when I was in my twenties because I would not have the sun damage I have now .
There are all kinds of make your own sunscreens on Pinterest and certainly lots of cute hats out there for toddlers. Cover his skin Hun!!!!!
Best

#3 ·
I agree with Tracyamber--we put sunscreen on our toddler whenever she's in direct sunlight, such as in the park or garden, on the beach, or when going on a sunny hike. We use an ecologically friendly, organic sunscreen because of concerns about toxic ingredients on the skin--I remember an old-time naturopath saying, "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin." Alternatively, you can use the old-fashioned sun protection of long sleeves and pants and a sun hat, but our daughter flings hats off and prefers to be nude, so sunscreen is the way to go for her. It's especially important because with her skin tone, sunburn isn't obvious; she doesn't turn red like me. (My brother inherited the Latino skin and I, unfortunately, got the Irish pallor. Darn.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.